It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2007, 08:24 PM   #1
(female)

peacefrog HB User
"heartburn" from alcohol???

I've had this problem for years. When I drink anything other than wine, I get a pain in my chest. Most people tell me its heartburn, but its not the usual burning in the chest. Its a pressure. If I eat some bread or pretzels it eases it, or if I just bring up what I drank (yuk!), but I'm only talking about 3-4 drinks. Anyone else have this problem? I don't drink often (3-4 times a year) because of it. Just wondering...

Old 08-25-2007, 09:34 PM   #2
(female)

geema7 HB User
Re: "heartburn" from alcohol???

I have the same problem! But it's not every time I drink, only sometimes; and not only when I drink a certain type of alcohol. Really unpredictable. People tell me it's probably heartburn too, but I know it's not - it's a very full-feeling pressure like you described, not a "burn". Unfortunately eating doesn't help (I usually feel too "full" to let anything go down my throat!) and...well I haven't thrown up when it's happened so I don't know about that! I still haven't found anything to help, unfortunately!
Also, a while after I have this feeling, it usually turns into horribly painful, un-normal hiccups (I posted about it yesterday). So I'm thinking it may be some sort of air trapped in my esophagus or something (since it's in the chest and not in my stomach or anywhere else) that irritates my insides until I get those hiccups. I don't know if you can call that gas if it hasn't even reached the stomach yet?? Who knows, all I know is it is VERY annoying and uncomfortable!

Last edited by geema7; 08-25-2007 at 09:37 PM. Reason: add info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2007, 05:20 AM   #3
(female)

peacefrog HB User

Finally someone who understands!!!! I wonder if something like beano would cut the gas? I used to drink fuzzy navels and thought it was the orange juice,so gave them up. wine coolers do it too. I thought it was because I'm not really a bar kinda gal, and it was nervousness,anxiety, but it happens at home where I'm relaxed too. Frustrating, huh! Hubby thinks I'm being snobby when I go to bar and if they don't have white wine I drink pop or bottled water. Its like an allergy to alcohol or something.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:58 PM   #4
(female)

Katina128 HB User

I can't drink anything alcoholic either or I'm dying in pain. I went to a mexican resturant one night, had a margarita, and was in so much pain before I finished my meal that I had to go to the car and lie down. It was BAD. I don't drink b/c of it now. So, you're not alone.

Closed Thread