It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2007, 09:03 AM   #16
(female)

FarmGirl31 HB UserFarmGirl31 HB User
Re: Abdominal Distention and trouble breathing

Hi again!

Hey I am reading an interesting article online about hiatal hernias... I think this may be what is causing me, at least in PART, such distress. I woudl put in the link but theyre not allowed. Maybe do a search on them? I have wondered why my "episodes" come and go versus being constant and maybe it is the stomach sliding in and out.... hmmm. I have all the other symptoms associated with it, too: GERD< trouble breathing, hiccups, overweight now, digestive problems in general, chest pains at times and much more.

Maybe look into it?

Yes for you, I thought of asthma as there are different types.... some brought on or worsened by exercise, or exposure to cold weather, certain perfumes/chemicals, etc. I would ask your doc for more tests to at least rule out the possibility.

Iused to take PPIs but dont anymore. I cured myself with Pine Nut OIl, of severe GERD/LP reflux. I do think there are long-term side affects to these meds.... and I think with all. I do hope you get to the root cuases of all of your symptoms and I woudl also highly recommend a naturopath, who would be more inclined to find your root causes rather than throw prescription meds for symptoms-treating at you (MDs do that an awful lot).

Best wishes,

FarmGirl

Old 11-24-2007, 05:23 PM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Farmgirl,

thank you so much for your post!
I will look into hiatal hernias and how they relate to shortness of breath. I cannot believe how many people have been using naturopaths, including several people I know. Everyone seems to get great results by using herbs and natural products. Some have been able to go off their meds after a treatment. It's absolutely amazing! The only thing that worries me is the possibility of interactions between the meds and herbal remedies. I was told I'll be on my meds (not the Nexium) for life.

I needed my Nexium prescription filled today. I took this opportunity to ask the pharmacist about Nexium's long-term side effects. He said he did not know of any, and that the claims about them being harmful have not been substantiated. I then went to another pharmacy while doing my shopping and asked the same question there. The pharmacist said long-term use of PPIs is fine as long as there is also calcium supplementation. She said an acidic environment was needed (I think) and people must take calcium citrate to provide that. I was happy to hear it's that particular one, since I've been taking it for some time now. In her opinion the PPIs do no harm when used over a period of time.
I did some thinking and wonder if the pharmacists could be a little biased. Drugs are their bread and butter, so to speak. These medications also happen to be very expensive. I can't imagine the drug manufacturers ever complaining about people using their products for extended periods. I also think the pharmacists are happy to have us come back for refills.

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 11-24-2007 at 05:27 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2007, 12:17 PM   #18
(female)

Hi Flowergirl!

I had to respond to this, first of all:

Quote:
I was told I'll be on my meds (not the Nexium) for life.
Ok, IMO these are the words of someone who either doesnt know how to or isnt interested in getting you HEALED. This is someone who wants to throw drugs at symptoms, and keep you dependent on the drugs and on him/her> THis is not a healer!! MAN It makes me so angry when I hear stuff like this! A real healer will want u off artifical meds as soon as is possible and safe for you... not keep you hooked on them!

I so strongly urge you to see a good alternative doc/naturopath and also a chiropractor too. These people are more into seeking root causes of the symptoms and steering you toward REAL answers and remedies that heal your body. The body was made to heal itself. It was not made to be pumped full of man-made drugs to "survive." I bet you have been misdiagnosed and are being put on meds that dont or wont help you. The PPIs arent that bad, I dont think but there are a ton of other drugs out there that are (harmful).

As for the pharmacists.... yeah... drugs is what they do for a living.... they are usually good with knowing side affects (as opposed to doctors.... they usually dont know!) and interactions, which they shoudl know. But yes as u said, thats their bread and butter. I personally could never work as a pharmacist, dispensing drugs to people who are likely given wrong diagnoses and taking way too many medications but yet being made to feel that they "have to." Your best bet is to seek alternative care.... and yes, I too, have seen posts of others who saw someone in the naturpathic field and got correct diagnoses and correct treatment, and got well! None of this "you will need this drug for the rest of your life" garbage!

I remember a doctor years ago once telling me I woudl likely need to be on anti-depressant medication the rest of my life. I did have very severe, medication resistant depression (and was suicidal a lot). It turned out I had late-stage Lyme Disease with neurological involvement, which was causing the suicidal depression in the first place! I got treated for the severe Lyme and in time, was completely well of all suicidal depression symptoms. And it was amazing. I had never felt so well in my life. I thought of all the wasted years taking so many different pills for depression... and could never understand why almost none of them had any affect on me. Treating the symptom instead of the root cause, a huge problem in modern medicine.

I am certain now that I have the hiatal hernia and am annoyed how I was blown off in the ER pretty much. I indeed had severe trouble breathing (which passed in time) but it was chalked up as "anxiety." No, I had the breathing issue and THEN got scared, as anyone would having difficulty breathing... it was secondary thing, the anxiety. Now I have to see another doctor and explain to her what I have (the hernia) and see what can be done next.

I will say most people with hiatal hernias dont know they have them as they have no symptoms. But, this isnt true for everyone, including me it seems. I keep praying to God to please heal me of it, because I have almost no faith in the mainstream medical community.

Please keep researching on your own. We need to be our own health care advocates.... I have heard so many horror stories of people being misdiagnosed, for years, and getting sicker even, until they took matters into their own hands and started researching their symptoms and seeing different kinds of doctors. I had to do this too, with the Lyme (now that is a nightmare to get properly diagnosed, and treated, dont get me started on Lyme Disease! ).

If any doc doesnt take your seriously or take the time to answer your questions, find another one. These people are not God, but many seem to think they are on that level.

I am not bitter, but I am angry. People go to doctors putting their faith into them for getting well and instead many times they end up with all these prescriptions meds they most likely didnt need and are told to come back in a few months. They are not getting REAL help!

And as for drug makers... they are evil and greedy IMO. They are ALL about money.... this is perhaps another topic that I shouldnt get started on

FLowergirl, I pray you find the right peopel to help get you properly diagnosed and treated. Please also consider your diet -- it really is true that we are what we eat. There are good websites on eating healthy and i wish i could post links.

I dont see another doc for my trouble breathing/stomach issue until a week from this Tuesday, so I have to suffer in the meantime. I will stay in touch and hope you will too.

Best wishes,

FarmGirl

Old 11-25-2007, 06:36 PM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Farmgirl,

I am sorry about your misdiagnosis and other not so nice experiences with doctors. It could happen to any of us. My biggest fear is that the breathing problems will return and I'll go back to not being able to do anything. I finally got my life back and would like it to stay that way. I have cut back on the number of visits to the doctor's office. I will only see him when absolutely necessary for my prescriptions and lab requisions.
I have severe, drug resistant hypertension. It's pretty stubborn like your "depression" used to be. I realize you didn't have depression, just had been told you did. That's why the drugs they had you take didn't work. My blood pressure is "controlled" with five medications. It behaves for a while, then it becomes elevated again. It's very good right now, because I've just had another dosage increase. I am afraid I will develop a tolerance for my medications and they will stop working. Dependence could also become an issue. I have already had to deal with some of that. My blood pressure can go to 250 without the meds. I could die. When I forget to take the meds, the blood pressure starts to climb and I feel unwell. Because I am at a high risk for everything, I have to follow doctor's orders for now. I have to keep my blood pressure as low as I possibly can to prevent further loss of renal function. The hypertension, among other things, also damaged my kidneys.
I'd like an appointment with the naturopath. I know a lady whose young daughter was diagnosed and cured by a naturopath. Her regular physician could not figure out what was wrong. The girl got sicker and sicker. The desperate mom finally took her to a naturopath. This story has a happy ending.

I don't know if my ailments can be treated with herbs only. Diet is very important, of course, but not enough to enable someone with my type of hypertension to get off the medication completely. I have been eating a very healthy diet. A nutritionist approved it and made only one small change (told me not to take extra vitamin C-I do anyway). Weight loss is important for good health, but not easy to achieve when on several medications that cause people to GAIN it. I figure any fee the naturopath might charge for an initial consultation will be money well spent.
I can understand your anger and frustration. I see where you are coming from. I've often had these feelings myself. Being sick is no fun! I have mixed feelings about the meds. Drugs saved my life. They have also been making it quite miserable with their side effects. I wish our doctors paid more attention to the way herbal treatments are utilized in some countries in Europe. Doctors prescribe them, the government reimburses the patients for their cost. Everyone is happy, side effect free and gets healthier!

flowergirl

Old 11-30-2007, 11:18 PM   #20
(male)

SpicyT9 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmGirl31 View Post
UPdate:
I Just cant help it, i start gasping for breathe and struggling hard to breathe. Taking a tranquilizer relaxes me and then I feel pretty good actually, can breathe or at least that i Cant take a deep breathe doesnt FREAK me out anymore. But I hate the idea of taking such meds (anti anxiety)...
Have you ever tried just drinking some water instead of taking an anti-anxiety medicine and it relaxes you enough so you dont feel the need to gasp and struggle for air ? I think what I did several days ago had been just drinking some water & somehow it had calmed me down . I am going to try it next time to see ... If it does help then maybe it could be the acid fume that bothers me ...
But I have never been tested for Gastroparesis and never had an upper GI series such as barium swallow, endoscopy yet . Only had H Pylori test ( positive ) & an ultrasound on abdominal areas (normal) .

Old 12-01-2007, 07:52 AM   #21
(female)

Hi,

Usually I am so distraught that I cant really drink or eat anything..... And also I think i would be afraid to drink water because I already have a large tendency to swallow air.... and I burp loudly after just a few drinks of water.... but I mean if i were to drink water, i fear i would swallow more air, and stomach would bloat up even MORE (it already gets full of air). But I mean, I can certainly try it the next time "it" happens.

I have just been really frustrated because even among those with digestive problems, most cant seem to relate to what it is that I experience, the trouble breathing thing. Unless yes, I experience trouble breathing but then my nerves and anxiety kick in more severely than other people's and make me feel like I cant breathe... but I reallyd ont know. I was about to call 911 several different times... that is how much distress I was in. But i always take Klonopin, then I calm down, and I am pretty ok or somewhat Ok. Waiting for the medication to kick in is tough though.... I am struggling to breathe and scared the whole time. ALso my chest muscles start to feel tight but i guess that too, is anxiety? I never cough or wheeze so I dont think its asthma at all and taking an anti-anxiety med wouldnt stop a true asthma atttack I dont think...

Thanks for posting. I feel pretty alone in this, with no solid answers yet.
No, well, I know I have GERD and Gastroparesis and I suspect very strongly a hiatal hernia and maybe some IBS too....?

I pray healing for all of us,

FarmGirl

Old 12-01-2007, 04:21 PM   #22
(male)

SpicyT9 HB User
Cool Re: Abdominal Distention and trouble breathing

Try using a *straw* when drinking your liquid which cuts down on the amount of air you swallow when drinking / eating...amazing the amount of air that we swallow when drinking / eating .
I have many times almost called 911 or driven to a nearby hospital ER's ; but if I had done that , my conditions would have been alleviated by the time I got there . And it would have been a long wait to see a doctor , sitting in the waiting room.
I saw an allergist 2 months ago , he did not think it was asthma. I had no coughing or wheezing either . I had normal chest X-ray . Been trying to quit smoking : down to only a few cigarettes a day from a pack a day one year ago !

Old 12-01-2007, 04:59 PM   #23
Inactive
(female)

April7 HB User

I just want to say that I have my BA in psychology, and what you are describing does sound like anxiety to me. I also have generalized anxiety disorder, and it can sometimes feel like a heart attack, pains, many weird things that are scary. I would have a nice long talk with your doctor, and admit that you think it may be anxiety, but also demand that they do medical tests also. I do bet it's the anxiety myself, but because many anxiety systems can cause real physical symptoms, it is always safest to rule out the medical stuff first.

Your posts have sounded anxious to me. It seems like the fears surrounding your physical probmems are causing you undue stress. I understand that, it happens to me too. Most of my anxiety presents itself as back pain and tension, and diarrhea. We all manifest it differently. Just do me a favor and make sure the doctor takes this seriously and excludes all medical possibilities. And don't feel discouraged. Anxiety can cause a whole host of symptoms. My best friend had severe chest pains and thought she was having a heart attack. It ended up being anxiety. Have you tried any relaxation techniques? You could do a search for some online. Also, meditation CDs may help. I've struggled with this for years, and it can be so hard. Just be sure they rule out anything medical, ok? Hugs honey. I hope it gets better.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:02 PM   #24
Inactive
(female)

April7 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyT9 View Post
Try using a *straw* when drinking your liquid which cuts down on the amount of air you swallow when drinking /
I thought I read that the opposite is true, but I don't recall. If I'm wrong I apologize, but I'd double check online first. I don't mean to say you're wrong, please don't take it that way. Just for some reason in my mind it sticks out not to use a straw. I hope I'm wrong!

Old 12-01-2007, 06:32 PM   #25
(female)

Hi April,

Well, I had many anxiety disorders.... I am very well-versed in them now at age 34. I suffered with severe panic attacks from around age 19-25 or so. Also had generalized anixety disorder and man I hate labels, but i had most anxiety issues that exist out there. And I know I have a tendency to worry too much, period. But, this is all getting to me so much because I do know/am familar with fear and anxiety symptoms and their physical manifestations, and what Ive been experiencing is different from any of the wide myriad of troubling symptoms Ive had to deal with on and off since I would say childhood.

There is defnitely something amiss..... I think it surely medical and I know I already have Gastroparesis, GERD and a hiatal hernia. What I am not sure of is how much secondary anxiety is contributing to and/or worsening the primary symptoms and root issues. It does not help that I have always had an overactive nervous system it seems but I do want all medical problems ruled out, at the very least for my own peace of mind. BUt I KNOW this isnt all anxiety.... I would not go to the ER or feel to call 911 for severe anxiety. Beleive me, I have lived thru some really hellacious times with fear and panic over the course of my life and this all is something altogether different. And I think thats why Im so troubled. Im like, what the???!!? Its really shaken me.

Also I am versed in medicine from years of chronic illness.... and a natural affinity for all things medical... and am now a nursing student actually. But this whole trouble breathing thing.... I mean, Ive never experienced anything quite like it before. The stomach bloats up like a balloon, then it is impossible to take a deep breath... then I am not sure, if its my chest muscles tightening... or what, but Just feel I have to struggle for every breath (when these "episodes" occur I mean. Thank God its not a 24/7 or I would be in the hospital for sure!).

But yes, I do think I am focusing too much on all this... I am already quite depressed over it all, worrying about an episode happening if i am out. It is already unbearable to deal with when it happens while I am at home and I would hate to have a severe bout in public. Its just weird.... not a lot of rhyme or reason to it.

Thanks for listening. I tend to get very focused on one thing and then stay fixated on it but in this case, I dont think its good for me. I will keep praying and asking GOd to heal all of this completely.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:36 AM   #26
Inactive
(female)

April7 HB User

Well you just answered my concerns, to be honest. You say you know your body, you know your anxiety, and what you feel now is different. The best thing you can do then is to push your doctor(s) to get to the bottom of this. We know our bodies and when something is wrong. We know our minds and when something is wrong, you know? If you know this is your body then it's your body. I would not be surprised regardless if the anxiety is making it worse, also.

In the meantime, try to do as much as you can to keep your anxiety at bay. Are you taking Klonopin as needed or do you have a script where you could take it daily? What if you could take a Klonopin each night at bed time. After a few days the cululative effect on your system would keep your baseline anxiety lower. I used to take Xanax at night. After a week or so I didn't have panic attacks anymore. My baseline was lowered. Do you think this could help you? I know you don't like to take the meds, that's why I suggest doing so at night. In today's world with modern medicine, I do not see a need for you to suffer, when there does exist something that could help you a little. It is of course a personal opinion, and we all feel differently. I tend to believe though that if I can medicate it, do. Dealing with mental and physical symptoms at the same time can be overwhelming. I really would love to see you feeling better.

I wish there was some easy answer for you. Keep after those docs to get to the bottom of this. If you feel something is wrong, go to the ER. Don't feel foolish. You know your body, and if you feel like something is wrong, seek treatment. Hugs and good luck. This sounds so stressful.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:45 PM   #27
(female)

April,

Thank u for your caring reply.... I really needed that

Yes, it is very stressful, all of this, and its been affecting all areas of my life. I cant concentrate at work, I cant focus in school (I attend college part time and work full-time).... at home I am just miserable, laying around the house. I tried to eat dinner tonight but I was in so much discomfort I could only take down a few bites. It was a good dinner too.

I am doing all I know to do to get better.... treating self with herbal and vitamin remedies I know of, not eating junk foods and cutting way down on beer (I admit i used to drink, a LOT).... I also started exercising after literally a couple years since last doing so. You can see that this problem is causing me to do anything I think I can to feel better.

As for the Klonopin.... .oh...... See, the thing is, I was in the process of tapering off it when all this "stuff" started happening. I had tapered from 1 mg to .50, then stopped the taper. A year later, I started up again and went from .50 down to .17 or so. I figured I would be off by Christmas. I wanted off daily use of a benzo like Klonopin because longer use than a few weeks or so, and a person gradually starts changing... losing their very personality and ability feel..... also other symptoms creep in... all so slowly and insidiiously that the benzo is never pinpointed as the problem. I know all this..... from experience.... I was actually on and tapered off Klonopin once before (it is very very hard to get off of once u take it daily for awhile).

So it was killing me to have to ruin the taper that took me many months to do BUT I also was in so much distress I felt I absolutely had to take the Klonopin to relax myself or off I wouod be going to the ER every single time I had an "episode".... and who wants that? ANd also yes, why suffer if something can help u...? (Though I am a huge believer in getting to the root cause of things and treating that, not symptoms... but as such, I do not know the root causes.... yet....).

So that is why I am so reluctant to reach for the mild tranquilizer that is Klonopin. BUT... by now, I have had to take it so often that my taper is completely blown. I would guess my body needs a tleast almost 1 mg. by now to avoid having withdrawal. So that in itself, that my taper was ruined, was upsetting me And causing me stress....

i guess i need to accept that, for now and until I get some more answers, I will need to take the Klonopin as needed (I do take it daily now, to keep a level or somewhat level amount in my system).... That I dont really have much of a choice here, other than to suffer greatly and go to the hospital.... May as well just take the K and be able to function somewhat.

Thank you very much for your care and concern. I have felt so alone in this. Noone really understands or beyond that, seems to care all that much, what I am going thru with this. Its like the worst physical torture Ive ever experienced and believe me, Ive been thru the ringer (20 years of misdiagnosed late-state Lyme Disease.... that was a total NIGHTMARE...... too long to get into here....).

God bless you for caring,

FarmGirl

Old 02-11-2008, 10:02 AM   #28
(male)

shag84 HB User

I have read through the history of posts here and wanted to share some interesting similarities. To make a long story short, I had been taking Klonopin (1 mg at bedtime) for panic disorder for about 12 years...and it took care of the problem. It did slow me down at times...so my doc suggested trying a few other drugs. Over time of tapering off and trying others, I ended up not taking anything. (beginning about 1 year ago.) I found that my panic disorder had gone away.

Interesting enough, however, I developed severe stomach bloating about 4 months after stopping...and I have been working to resolve the problem ever since (for about 8 months now). BTW, along with the severe bloating, I have had trouble breathing and swallowing at times...much like you describe.

I have had CT Scans, Ultrasounds, colonoscopy, stool testing, blood testing, etc. I am even going in for an upper endoscopy today!

I thought I found the solution about a month ago -- a doctor suggested that my stomach may not be making enough acid (which is more common than you might think). So I started taking HCI (Hydrochloric Acid) capsules before eating...and it really did seem to help...and still does, but hasn't completely solved the problem. So...you might give this a try...there's tons of info about it on the web...you can even do a simple test by drinking a baking soda solution in the morning and seeing if you burp. I didn't, which means not enough acid in the stomach.

I find it very interesting that you have anxiety history...have taken Klonopin...have quit taking it...and have developed stomach problems. It is very much like my history. VERY much indeed.

As I mentioned, I have an upper colonoscopy today...but I suspect they will not find anything...or, if they do, it will be symptom-related rather than problem-related.

For the 12+ years I was taking Klonopin, I would often try to taper off...just like you...not wanting to be dependent on drugs. Each time...though...it didn't work. I eventually came to accept that I needed it...and it didn't bother me anymore...in fact, I began thinking about it no different than brushing my teeth at night--just something you do, no big deal. So, interestingly, it wasn't until I had reached this state of acceptance that I was able to quit taking it...it's been about a year now.

But, then, there's this bloating issue...interesting.

I have come to believe the mind and the gut are very much connected...more so than we probably know. Think about it...how many times have you thought about something bad, and instantly gotten a stomach ache?!

So, I think the root problem is very likely my mind...that chemical imbalance that causes panic and anxiety. I believe my anxiety has manifested itself now into this physical problem with my gut. Yes, I am jumping to a conclusion here...but one I will test. And one you might want to test as well.

Again, assuming my upper endo shows nothing...I am going to go back on the klonopin and see what happens. I will probably start with .5 mg at bedtime for a couple of weeks. If after two weeks, my stomach issues haven't changed, I'll go up to 1 mg at bedtime for a couple of weeks. After 1 month, at least I'll know for sure.

And, if taking 1 Klonopin at bedtime resolves these depressing stomach issues...that is about the simplest solution in the world...that would be super! Much better than changing diet, trying different pills, going to doctors, researching my problems on the internet, being constantly depressed...well, you get the picture! You know...we've got lives to live! Time to put these problems behind us, right!

Anyway, I wish you all the best...and would simply suggest that you accept that you have anxiety/panic problems. Accept it. No...SURRENDER to it so that you can move on and live. It really is no big deal...I think something like 3 out of 5 people in the US have some type of mental illness these days. So what. Take a pill. Move on with your life.

Sounds like I'm being tough...I know...but only because I know from first-hand experience that sometimes that's what's needed. I got this speech from my step-mom 12 years ago when I wouldn't start taking Klonopin...only to find it pretty much saved me from ruining my life...and every now and then, from my wife has to give me a little of this tough love, too!

Oh, and one more thing...you might also pick up a copy of The Power of Now by Ekhart Tolle. It is a truly fascinating book...I have found it very helpful in understanding how to keep your Self separate from the mind, which is always looking to destroy. I am still learning, but it is powerful stuff to know that you are NOT your mind...and once you learn to not let your mind rule you...you are free.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:10 PM   #29
(female)

Hi there!

Thanks for taking the time for such a long and thorough reply! (shag).

I am about to go to bed but quickly wanted to address this and can continue tomorrow/today....

I still take Klonopin... I went off it before, over a period of many months as you must taper very gradually to safely get off a benzo. But I am still on it. I will start tapering as soon as my stomach stabilizes.

Yes, I am familar with low stomach acid, which I suspect many people have, versus too much, yet still be given Rxs to stop the acid such as Nexium, Prevacid and others (at one time I was on all of them pretty much, one at a time I mean though).

I believe I have Candida (yeast overgrowth) and that that is causing/contributing to my abnormal bloating. I have started probiotics and also was taking Apple Cider Vinegar in an effort to balance out the acid/alkaline levels in my body (baking soda can do this too, yes).

Actually I do have a problem with taking a pill, especially one in the class that Klonopin is in. Taking benzos over a period of time eventually turns one into a mild - moderate zombie. These meds dull the personality and blunt the emotions but it happens over such a slow, gradual period of time that the user hardly notices it (but those close to them do). Benzos are, in my opinion, poison -- and I dont care how well they help anxiety, either -- and I will be tapering off as soon as my breathing/stomach issues have settled down some more as I said.

I hope you will reconsider taking Klonopin for long-term... you will become physically dependent on it (anyone will) and then you will experience very unpleasant withdrawal symptoms if you miss a dose(s).... but wait, you said u were on it a long time and did get off successfully? How did you taper off? I am just curious, because many people dont know they cant just abruptly stop taking a medication/poison like Klonopin and get very, very ill and dont know why... I have heard horror stories like u wouldnt believe.

It took me around 7-9 months to gradually wean myself off around a 1 mg. a day dosage back in 2002 or so. And once i was completely off, I was really jumpy and sensitive to light (along with some other symptoms) for a month or so. I had been on it seven (7) years or so prior.

Im very into alternative medicine and there are a lot of herbs that can help anxiety that one wont become dependent on, plus my diet has changed considerably and I am starting to workout daily as well. In addition, I am a Christian and believe Jesus will work out all things concerning me and the issues ive been suffering with re: stomach/bloating/breathing. I believe He has shown me it is a combo of things but an imbalance of acid/alkaline in my body being one and the Candida yeast overgrowth iin my gut (which I have actually had before, i guess just never this severely symptoms-wise).

Please rethink being on Klonopin, esp because you say u got off it! I wouldnt be shocked to learn the bloating is from withdrawal.... if u went off too quickly. I have heard some unusual withdrawal symptoms that many never connect to being from Klonopin withdrawal. Even if your bloating is not a withdrawal symptom --and I hope it isnt -- check into Candida. Mainly because it sounds like youve had every test under the sun and I can you that no MD will take Candida seriously or test for it. Please consider a naturopathic doctor and a chiropractor.

THere is a ton of info on the 'Net about Candida, too. Do you have any other symptoms aside from the bloating??

I accept that I tend to get a little anxious, but I do not accept that i need a pill to help me. Years ago, I did.... but not today, not where I am now. Seriously consider what i have shared about benzos (benzos = benzodiazpines, i.e. Xanax, Ativan, Klonopin, Valium, etc). It WILL blunt you and also can cause other side effects that take time to develop. I so strongly urge you to seek out the root cause(s) of your stomach problem and get it treated... and hope it isnt Klonopin withdrawal. But well, if it is, just re-instate your dose and then gradually taper off. I would tell u exactly how to do it so u would not get withdrawal but for some reason site admins seem to delete info like that.... I dont know why.... I know what im talking about and there is a certain way to go about it but... ok.

I need to go but PLEASE consider what Ive said. I think it is a big mistake to take Klonopin.... for a stomach problem... and to plan to keep taking it.... no.

Consider finding an alternative med doctor/professional to rule out Candida....

Do searches on how to safely taper off Klonopin if u do go back on.... how quickly did u go off it?

I wish u the best, I do.......... thanks for your concern in replying to my post! THe Apple Cider Vinegar helped a lot, just not completely.... now im on Probiotics, eating even healthier than i was and getting physical exercise.

Best wishes,

FarmGirl

Old 02-19-2008, 07:20 PM   #30
(male)

shag84 HB User

Hello there...and thank you for your thoughts! Yes, I was able to taper off of Klonopin successfully...agreed, you need to take it very slow, 1/4 increments...then still expect a few withdrawls...but I got off of it for about 7 months now.

I have had two test for candida, one was an extensive stool analysis...and one was a fairly new breath test...one was ordered by my brother in law who is also a Dr. and a brain surgeon, the other by my gut doc.

I had my upper endoscopy and they found bleeding in my stomach...they took biopsies....still waiting to hear more, but my doc said it could very well be nothing...reaction to the acid pills I've been taking...time will tell.

I hear what you are saying about Klonopin, I'd be interested to learn the details behind your claims about its long-term affects. I've taken it for 15+ years and have had no problems...I am an executive at an advertising agency and my job is to build relationships, make presentations, and lead dynamic creative teams...Klonopin has had no effect on me or my abilities to perform in this role.

Anyway, gotta run...I'll check back in a week or so...take care!

Closed Thread