It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2007, 07:56 PM   #1
(female)

mizzaj HB User
Angry H Pylori-- Symptoms, Diagnosis, Antibiotics, etc.

Hi all,

When I first began experiencing digestive problems 7 months ago, I had friends who suggested that it was "H Pylori". I had a blood test done and was told the results were negative.

I also had an upper endoscopy done, where I specifically requested that a biopsy be done for H Pylori (not knowing the results of the blood test at the time).

When I was wheeled back to the recovery room (after the endoscopy) I was fully lucid-- in fact, I remembered the whole procedure. The nurse told me that they didn't even bother to DO a biopsy. But then my "follow up" sheet said to call back for biopsy results-- which I was later told were normal.

Here's my "beef"-- when I visited my PCP almost two weeks ago, still complaining of stomach problems, she mentioned that my H Pylori antibodies were high, but then dismissed it, saying that my endoscopy came back clear.

I'm wondering 1) if they ever really did a biopsy for H Pylori and 2) why nobody ever told me at the time that my antibodies for H Pylori were high. In short, I was po'd!!!

At the time of my endoscopy, I had been on Protonix for 6 weeks. I wonder if that may have caused my stomach lining to appear normal and healthy, given that that's the normal course that one takes for uclers, gastritis, etc.

Anyway, I'm wondering now if I did/do have H Pylori all along....otherwise, why would the blood tests show up high for the antibodies?

Have any of you had H Pylori, and if so, what symptoms did you have? How did you fare after treatment? I swear, if I find out that this is what I"ve had all along and it was misdiagnosed, I will be very, very unhappy....I've already changed medical groups and hope to see a new doctor and get a referral to a new GI doc.....all I can say is....UGGGGHHHH!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2007, 04:30 AM   #2
(female)

jenn892 HB User
Re: H Pylori-- Symptoms, Diagnosis, Antibiotics, etc.

What were your symptoms? That is SO frustrating. My mother has been in and out of doctors for over a year now - and had test after test (ERCP Today) and they have no idea what is going on. Her Doctor swears there is nothing wrong with her but there is NO WAY that could be true.

We really thought it was a bacteria - and still kind of do but they said blood and endoscopy (both) came back fine...they just see swelling in her bile duct. That could be aggravation from the bacteria!!

Sometimes the medical field is so frustrating - goodl uck with your situation and if you have a minute share your symptoms with us!

Thanks!

Old 09-12-2007, 11:19 AM   #3
(female)

mizzaj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn892 View Post
What were your symptoms? That is SO frustrating. My mother has been in and out of doctors for over a year now - and had test after test (ERCP Today) and they have no idea what is going on. Her Doctor swears there is nothing wrong with her but there is NO WAY that could be true.

We really thought it was a bacteria - and still kind of do but they said blood and endoscopy (both) came back fine...they just see swelling in her bile duct. That could be aggravation from the bacteria!!

Sometimes the medical field is so frustrating - goodl uck with your situation and if you have a minute share your symptoms with us!

Thanks!
Hey Jenn892,

What is an ERCP test? I've heard lots of people talk about it, but have no idea what it is.

How frustrating that they keep saying nothing's wrong with your mom-- when like you said, clearly there is. These docs seem to only go by the negative test results they see, as opposed to really investigating other reasons for the problems people are having. It's really disappointing.

My symptoms, before I changed my diet, was occasional, intense upper abdominal pain that lasted for a few hours. This usually occurred after a large or fatty meal. But then other times I'd be fine. The diet change occurred after I fainted from the pain back in February....

Even though I'm eating less, more frequently and more healthily, I still have symptoms. Heartburn/reflux (not terrible), occassional upper ab pain, early satiety and a feeling that food lingers longer than it should, occasional mild nausea...yesterday is a good example. I ate a little more fat than I'm used to, and while I was okay for the first few hours, I started to "pay" for it by the mid afternoon-- moderate stomach pain, etc.

I'm thinking of trying mastic gum to see if it can rid any possible bacteria in my stomach-- H Pylori or otherwise....we'll see.

Good luck with your mom! I hope there's a way to get her antibiotis or something to try to destroy any bacteria that could be in there.....

Old 09-13-2007, 06:47 AM   #4
(female)

mamaof3boyz HB User
Unhappy Re: H Pylori-- Symptoms, Diagnosis, Antibiotics, etc.

I have just been diagnosed with H. Pylori. Let me go back a few months first. I went to the Dr. in July for a routine physical. My blood work came back that I had iron deficiency anemia. He recommended a colonoscopy. The colonoscopy revealed a small polyp which was removed and the dr. said looked benign but would need to be sent to pathology to analyze. It came back precancerous and she said it would probably turn into cancer in the future. Thank god they found it and got rid of it!!! She then recommended a endoscopy. The endoscopy revealed a small ulcer which she said might be a result of ibuprofen. The biopsy ultimately revealed H. Pylori. Usually the ulcers come from the h. pylori bacteria. So now I am on the prevpac which is prevacin, biaxin, and amoxicillin. Today is my second day of treatment. I have been experiencing the metallic taste. So far the stomach upset is not too bad yet. I am also taking iron supplements for the anemia. So between the two I hope the stomach upsets don't get too bad. The dr. also recommmended eating activia everyday so that I won't be a yeast infection or bad diarrhea.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:51 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User

I was diagnosed with h. pylori 3 years ago, through an endoscopy and biopsy.
I took the triple treatment which included Protonix. I was told to wait at least two weeks after I stopped taking the Protonix to get a re-check as Protonix can cause a false negative. If I were you, I would get retested. It's been 3 years for me and I still am living with the after effects.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:49 PM   #6
(female)

mizzaj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingertea View Post
I was diagnosed with h. pylori 3 years ago, through an endoscopy and biopsy.
I took the triple treatment which included Protonix. I was told to wait at least two weeks after I stopped taking the Protonix to get a re-check as Protonix can cause a false negative. If I were you, I would get retested. It's been 3 years for me and I still am living with the after effects.
Hi Gingertea,

You're still living with the effects of H Pylori? Or Protonix? That sucks! I will never, ever take Protonix again. That stuff messed me up!

So it's possible that being on Protonix could cause a false negative for H Pylori during an endoscopy? 'Cause i was on it for 6 weeks before I had the endoscopy-- that was 5 months ago.

On the Protonix I didn't have stomach pain or acid reflux. But I felt as though I had just eaten a steak dinner every time I ate the smallest thing. once I got off the Protonix, it took about a month for things to get better-- but then the stomach pain and acid reflux returned-- plus I still get pretty full and felt like food is lingering in my stomach for a while. (Though my stools have been totally normal throughout all this.) Usually now when I eat, I feel fine for the first couple of hours, and then my stomach starts to hurt. Not always, but sometimes. I'm thinking of trying mastic gum. I'm in the process of changing medical groups, so it might be a while before I can see a GI doc from my new medical group......let's hope they're more understanding and such.....sigh.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:23 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User

I still have problems from the h. pylori, not the Protonix. I had acid reflux that brought the h. pylori up into my esophagus. The cells in my esophagus changed and then I ended up with Barrett's disease. You should not have any Protonix in your system when you are tested for h. pylori. It causes a false negative result. I had to wait several weeks after the Protonix to be re-tested. Protonix is one of the drugs in the triple therapy they use to get rid of the hp. I still have acid reflux and burning pains in my stomach. I am hungry all the time, but get full really quick so I eat several times a day. I take Nexium (Protonix was useless) and carafate. Carafate is a liquid that coats the stomach to slow down the acid. For some reason I have excess bile sitting in my stomach all the time.....it's just my system. I've been tested for everything under the sun, and that was their conclusion.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:11 PM   #8
(female)

mizzaj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingertea View Post
I still have problems from the h. pylori, not the Protonix. I had acid reflux that brought the h. pylori up into my esophagus. The cells in my esophagus changed and then I ended up with Barrett's disease. You should not have any Protonix in your system when you are tested for h. pylori. It causes a false negative result. I had to wait several weeks after the Protonix to be re-tested. Protonix is one of the drugs in the triple therapy they use to get rid of the hp. I still have acid reflux and burning pains in my stomach. I am hungry all the time, but get full really quick so I eat several times a day. I take Nexium (Protonix was useless) and carafate. Carafate is a liquid that coats the stomach to slow down the acid. For some reason I have excess bile sitting in my stomach all the time.....it's just my system. I've been tested for everything under the sun, and that was their conclusion.
What's Barrett's disease? At any rate, that's awful that you got it...and that was the result of the H Pylori being in your esophagus? Ugghhh!

I'm very curious now about the Protonix/false negative for H Pylori. I always suspected from Day One that I had it. (This was like 7 months ago). I thought the blood test for it came back normal until my PCP told me two weeks ago that I actually had high antibodies for it. And then I did the upper endoscopy after being on Protonix for 6 weeks, and of course everything came up roses. So now I really want to be re-tested!!!

The problem is that I just changed medical groups because my PCP and GI docs from the last group sort of blew me off and acted like my problems were either non ulcer dyspepsia or IBS. Neither of them mentioned that the fact that I had been on protonix might have had an effect on the upper endoscopy result!

Anyway, now that i've switched groups, I have to wait until December to see my new doc, and who knows how much longer after that I'll have to wait to see a new GI doc! I'm seriously thinking of paying out of pocket!!!!

Anyway, I hope that your symptoms get better and that something actually helps!!! I know I feel like I've been on a wacky roller coaster ride, that's for sure!!! Good luck!

Old 09-14-2007, 05:29 AM   #9
(female)

mamaof3boyz HB User

I am scheduled for another endoscopy and sigmoidoscopy. The endoscopy is to see if the ulcer has cleared up and to take another biopsy to see if the h. pylori bacteria is gone. The sigmoidoscopy is to see if the area where the polyp was removed has healed.
It seems the h. pylori bacteria is sometimes resistant to antibiotics. That is one of the reasons why they put you on a two different antibiotics at the same time. There is an 87% that the antbiotic will get rid of it. If that is the case I believe you are put on a different antibiotic therapy.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:29 AM   #10
(female)

mizzaj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaof3boyz View Post
I am scheduled for another endoscopy and sigmoidoscopy. The endoscopy is to see if the ulcer has cleared up and to take another biopsy to see if the h. pylori bacteria is gone. The sigmoidoscopy is to see if the area where the polyp was removed has healed.
It seems the h. pylori bacteria is sometimes resistant to antibiotics. That is one of the reasons why they put you on a two different antibiotics at the same time. There is an 87% that the antbiotic will get rid of it. If that is the case I believe you are put on a different antibiotic therapy.
I hope your h pylori is gone when they check it out! And that the area where your polyp was has healed! 87% is a pretty good statistic in terms of getting rid of the bacteria....interestingly enough, my now former PCP mentioned that Zithromax is one of the drugs they use to rid people of H Pylori. I think she pointed it out, because she thought I had been on the drug earlier this year. I was like, "No, that was almost two years ago for something else." I've never heard of them using zithromax though...I don't know where she got that from.

Mama, what symptoms did you have before they detected H Pylori? I'm just curious to see if they're similar to mine, as I know the symptoms are pretty varied....

Thanks!

Old 09-15-2007, 09:29 AM   #11
(female)

jenniferc16 HB User

I had hpylori a couple of years ago. Months before diagnosis, I was always nauseous. Husband was diagnosed, so I got tested (can be transferred thru saliva). My docor was excellent. The hypoli was found simply through a stool test... THAT'S IT! He put me on a strict regimin of antibiotics and bismuth. Felt much better afterwards. A few months later he did an endoscopy to verify it was gone.

Can you get a second opinion?

Old 09-15-2007, 11:03 AM   #12
(female)

mizzaj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferc16 View Post
I had hpylori a couple of years ago. Months before diagnosis, I was always nauseous. Husband was diagnosed, so I got tested (can be transferred thru saliva). My docor was excellent. The hypoli was found simply through a stool test... THAT'S IT! He put me on a strict regimin of antibiotics and bismuth. Felt much better afterwards. A few months later he did an endoscopy to verify it was gone.

Can you get a second opinion?
Hey Jennifer,

Well, shockingly enough, I actually got the H Pylori treatment from my doc!!!!! A friend of mine who's a doctor said that the blood test alone should be reason enough to prescribe the antibiotic therapy, and that he's done it for his own patients. He told me to just call my doctor and try-- the worst she could say was no. I finally said, "Okay and left a message with the doctor. Then I got a call back saying that the prescriptions had been called into my pharmacy. Seriously, i was shocked.

So now I'll be taking amoxicillin, claerethromycin (sp?) and she told me to take 2 Prilosecs with it daily as well for two weeks. What is bismuth? Is that just another kind of antacid? I'm kinda scared, because I didn't do very well on Protonix when they gave it to me before....I hope Prilosec doesn't mess me up in the same way. Maybe I should ask for bismuth?

Glad to know it all worked for you....I'm praying/crossing my fingers that the last 7 months of stomach problems will be ameliorated by this, and that it was simply just misdiagnosed before (I was never told about the high H Pylori antibodies until 5 months after testing for it-- they originally said everything was normal.)

Thanks for your support!

Old 09-15-2007, 09:56 PM   #13
(female)

marnb77 HB User

mizzaj,
I believe that bismuth is pepto bismol. I could be wrong, but I read on the pepto bottle that it contained bismuth.. hope that helps.

Last edited by marnb77; 09-15-2007 at 09:57 PM.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:34 AM   #14
(female)

mizzaj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marnb77 View Post
mizzaj,
I believe that bismuth is pepto bismol. I could be wrong, but I read on the pepto bottle that it contained bismuth.. hope that helps.
Thanks marn....yes, you're right, bismuth is contained in Pepto Bismol. My friend who's a doctor said that if I really wanted to take BIsmuth, I would have to take 524mg 4xs a day. I'm guessing that's a lot, and probably not worth it. Still, I'm afraid of taking the Prilosec-- I'm glad it's only two weeks though! I just hope that the antibiotics won't make me feel too awful either!

Old 09-17-2007, 10:44 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

I'm glad your doctor ordered the meds for you. I hope the Protonix doesn't give you problems. It isn't a pleasant routine, but stick with it, or you might have to go through it again! One of the antibiotics made me feel yucky, and my mouth tasted like tin. I kept a little can of breath spray by my side constantly. The previous poster was correct.....they can tell by a stool sample whether you have h pylori, but you still have to have all the protonix out of your system. Good luck, hope you feel better! Ginger

Closed Thread