It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2007, 12:19 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Hamilton92 HB UserHamilton92 HB User
Please! I am so scared, I just want to give up!

I am so scared to go back to another gatroenterologist.
I have been having problems for 3 years now with no relief.
I finally have insurance through my new employer that I can finally go to a new gastroenterologist and get a second opinion and I'm scared to death.
I don't want to be hospitalized for one and another I'm scared of what they'll find.
I have a constant raw, burning stomach with constant either diarreah or constipation.
I have diarreah and then the next day my stomach is burning, bloating and I just have this all over feeling of being sick, achy and tired.
I had an endoscopy 3 years ago when I first started having these problems but then they were just beginning and my symptoms weren't as severe as they are now. Back then I bloated up like a balloon when I ate or drank anything, I had a hard time just drinking water even sometimes and I always had really thick saliva. My problems began eating a salad with some chicken on it one night, I bloated up huge all of a sudden and it felt like all of my food was in my throat and I was choking. Ever since then I can't eat solid foods like hamburgers or steak. I live basicallly on mushy foods.
My doctor first ordered a barium swallow but I was told that it is very thick and I didn't really think I could get it down without choking and it getting stuck so I refused. He then did the endoscopy and colonoscopy which only showed up mild colitis. I had an ultrasound of my gallbladder which they couldn't see my gallbladder then they did a hyda scan which found out I did have a gallbladder and it was filling up too slowly. The medicine from my gallbladder scan/Hyda scan made me very sick, nauseated, and bloated immediately and I had a lump in my throat like I was going to choke.
I then had a CAT scan but was allergic to the dye drink, it was liquid bitter yellow stuff, it was supposed to taste like lemonade crystal light they said, (yea right), and they couldn't finish the CAT scan.
I have constant burning in my stomach, for the past two days its been really bad, its not an acid burning feeling but the day before I got this burning again I had bad diarreah and I was passing gas all day and then woke up and have had burning stomach and a sour bitter feeling in my stomach and esophagus. Gaviscon liquid sometimes helps but not when it gets this bad.
I go through probably a bottle of Gaviscon liquid in a week to two weeks. I've found its really the only thing that has helped somewhat, I've tried the prescriptions too.
But now that I have insurance I am scared of what the doctor will find.
Also during my first endoscopy the doctor had a hard time waking me up my husband said and they had to give me an injection of something to wake me up. That was scary and just didn't sound right to me.
I am so scared that something is seriously wrong now that it has went on this long. I am scared that the doctor will take a look at my esophagus and stomach and it will be so severely inflammed and my esophagus is just going to be torn to pieces with damage. I have been suffering for so long I want an answer but I'm scared.
I just want the burning to go away and to be eat normally again.
Does anyone feel this way?
Are there any tests that I can request that might help? What about an MRI, could that help, does it show full, accurate images of what is going on in my stomach and esophagus? I'd like another endoscopy though to dialate my esophagus if its not too late for that.
Please any advice is so greatly appreciated.
Also anyone in Oklahoma, in the Tulsa area can you recommend a good gastroenterologist?
Thanks so much !!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2007, 01:49 PM   #2
(female)

sophie2007 HB User
Re: Please! I am so scared, I just want to give up!

Well, all I can say is that I had the same symptoms including the hidascan malnormality, and it ended up being a gallbladder full of sludge and debris. I even had the barium swollow test which is not that bad and you should try to tolerate it if it means a possible diagnosis. Get a small bowel series done as well. Thre is also the possibility of blocked bile ducts which can really make you sick. I was bloated after eating before I became ill and I couldn't eat for 4 months. It's a long, hard road to be ill but I know from experience that you can find an answer. Read some of these other threads about the gallbladder and you will meet people who are in the same boat as you. Good luck! Sophie

Old 09-12-2007, 04:27 PM   #3
(female)

Windcaller2 HB User

Hamilton92, please don't be scared.

I too had that terrible burning sensation in my chest and when it got so bad one day I went to the hospital. They ran lots of tests, gave me lots of drugs which none of which helped to ease the pain (except Morphine). But once they did the ultra scan, they saw that my gallbladder was so contaminated that they did an emergency removal the next morning. Well needless to say, taking it out solved my problem. I have not had that burning, raw pain again.

Sure, I will get a little bit of heartburn once in awhile (but that is because I have gastritis) but it's nothing like the pain I was getting (like you are).

May I suggest that you get an endoscope done again, as its the absolute best way to see whats going on in your esophagus. I believe you can research doctors in your area through your insurance plan. Please look at that to see.

I wish you the best. Please keep us informed.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:26 AM   #4
(male)

miknan HB User

I'm an MRI tech and I have read about some MRI of the esophagus it is not a normal practice and it usually done in some university hospitals for esophageal cancer studies. MRI is typically only done after the other tests, ie, xray fluoro procedures (barium swallow, upper GI, etc), ultrasound, endoscopopy, and CT tests done. Those are done because they can look at large areas at once. Other tests are more specialized like your hidascan. You might want to ask about a gastric emptying study. MRI is usually ordered last and might include an MRCP (looking at your bile ducts), liver, or pancreas. I've never heard of an MRI of the stomach but I assume they are done somewhere but again at a specialized hospital and are not the test of choice. Sounds like your gallbladder needs to be looked at again but also ask for a gastric empyting test to check your stomach function. Sophie is right in that a barium swallow isn't that bad. Thick barium is still a liquid I wouldn't imagine it would get caught in your throat. Be brave! You need to have the courage to have these tests if you want to get better again. Good luck.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:22 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Thanks to everyone for your posts and your support.
I will go have my gallbladder checked again. I received a referral from a couple of family members to hopefully a good gastroenterologist.
My last one I will NEVER go back to, he dehumanized me and degraded me and basically told me I was doing this to myself and that I didn't want to get better even though I bawled like a baby and begged him to please find out what was going on. Oh well, he is in the past and I'll find a good doctor.
Hopefully!

The following user gives a hug of support to Hamilton92:
freckledfiasco (12-18-2011)
Old 09-13-2007, 10:23 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Oh, also, sorry a quick question to add.
Does dairy products make your symptoms worse and then better sometimes?
Especially with the burning and bloating?
Just wondering, sometimes a cold glass of milk or ice cream seems to soothe the burning then again sometimes it makes it worse later on after I've eaten or drank milk.

Old 09-15-2007, 05:39 AM   #7
(female)

sophie2007 HB User

Milk helped until my gallbladder became real infected and then it acted as a laxative with pain and cramping.
We have so many billary ducts that even just one of those can be infected or clogged, and it can knock your socks off with illness, or the gallbladder can be sick without stones...and it will change your life. Gallbladder removal is no walk-in-the-park either. I am sure you will get this resolved. I have. Just be patient and keep trying. Soph

Closed Thread