It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2007, 10:09 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

caroleye HB User
Anyone tried over the counter Prilosec?

I want to have a backup PPI as needed, and Protonix was way too strong; too many side affects.

Curious if anyone has had any experience w/the above.

Thanks.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User
Re: Anyone tried over the counter Prilosec?

I've been taking it for awhile now and it works for me. Good luck if you decide to try it. I get it at Costco.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2007, 11:57 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Grehound27 HB User
Question Re: Anyone tried over the counter Prilosec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroleye View Post
I want to have a backup PPI as needed, and Protonix was way too strong; too many side affects.

Curious if anyone has had any experience w/the above.

Thanks.
I have been taking Protonix (40mg) for over 4 years with no known side effects - what unusual did you experience?

Dave

Old 09-14-2007, 12:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User

I tried the OTC Prilosec. It worked the first time I took it but, a few months later when I tried it again, it didn't do a darned thing. Then again, I tend to have that problem with most meds anyway. Your mileage may vary.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:51 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

caroleye HB User

Protonix started with a headache; then overall body aches; then cracking joints; then constipation. Since then I've learned it can leach the calcium from your bones which explains the joint issues.

But I'm older, have Lupus & other autoimmune issues, so much less tolerant of most meds.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:53 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

caroleye HB User

Also, I started getting symptoms I never had before like heartburn, excessive burping; signs of GERD; not the Gastritis I have.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:18 PM   #7
(male)

Collector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB User

I used OTC Prilosec for six months without any problems. However, there are several caveats.

There is a small study available on the internet that says PPI's can cause problems with gallbladder motility (ie, not contracting)when it is supposed to.

PPI's can also cause false readings on tests like CgA.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:13 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

caroleye HB User

Thanks for posting that info. My GB was removed many years ago due to a Dr.'s misjudgement.

Gotta be careful for Docs, drugs & surgery!!

Old 09-15-2007, 11:15 AM   #9
(female)

mizzaj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector167 View Post
I used OTC Prilosec for six months without any problems. However, there are several caveats.

There is a small study available on the internet that says PPI's can cause problems with gallbladder motility (ie, not contracting)when it is supposed to.

PPI's can also cause false readings on tests like CgA.
My doctor just prescribed me Prilosec as part of the H Pylori triple-therapy. I had been on Protonix like Carol and it messed me up. After three weeks, I started getting fuller and fuller-- like my food was not digesting from lack of stomach acid. I felt like I had a brick in my stomach after eating a few crackers.

I'm a bit nervous about taking the Prilosec. It's only for two weeks, but I just don't want a repeat experience of what happened with the Protonix. Hopefully two weeks won't cause problems with gb motility-- have you noticed that after 6 months? How often do you take it? Do you find that you get full really fast? Those are the things I worry about.....

Someone else mentioned bismuth....what is that?

Closed Thread