It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2007, 01:42 PM   #1
(male)

doglover HB User
Why Am I Out Of Breath? Reflux,

I am having symptoms that are similar to GERD. I was tested using a barium swallow and it was found that I have signs of Barrett’s syndrome (I think that is what it is), and a hiatal hernia, and am getting my throat scoped on Monday. They will do a biopsy then as well.
I also have some stomach issues with upset stomach, diarrhea, IBS symptoms, etc…

I am in decent shape, 6 feet, 200 pounds. I have some belly fat, but that is about it. I do not work out (I know, shame on me), but do work around the house, in the yard, etc…

The problem I am trying to find out about is being short of breath. It is bad when I bend over. If I tie my shoe, or bend down to pick something up, I end up short of breath.

I work around the house and it wears me out, but I just figured it was an issue with being out of shape.

Does anyone else get this shortness of breath just from bending over? It is strange and I am wondering if my stomach issues are what cause my shortness of breath.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Old 09-20-2007, 09:30 AM   #2
(male)

doglover HB User
Re: Why Am I Out Of Breath? Reflux,

Does anyone else have a shortness of breath? I am wondering if my hiatal hernia is causing it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2007, 10:53 AM   #3
(female)

Texas Tomato HB User

I have shortness of breath and excessive belching. It feels like my esophagus and stomach are so inflamed and bloated that they "push back" on my lungs and diaphragm when I try to take a deep breath. Don't know yet if I have a hernia. I'm getting scoped the 28th, so I'll find out then.

My problems started during a long course of antibiotics in May. I'm on Zegerid and probiotics, and eating lots of yogurt. I feel much better than I did just a few weeks ago, but not yet back to "normal." I feel like the medicine and regimen is helping. Hope you get better too.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

A hiatal hernia will push up on your diaphragm causing a feeling of not being able to get a deep breath.

Also, severe acid reflux can irritate nerve endings in the esophagus. These nerves lead to the heart area, lung area, and other places. Actually, when people are having a reflux flare up it is very common to see them complaining of "air hunger". You can also get heart palps if the cardiac nerves are stimulated. The hiatal hernia causes a more "physical" problem by pushing your stomach up and into the breathing areas.

So, it is all related---and maddening.

Last edited by ChristineVA; 09-21-2007 at 08:53 AM.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:20 AM   #5
(female)

Texas Tomato HB User

Yes, maddening! I'm so thankful for this message board and you guys, because otherwise I would be suffering alone and imagining things are even worse than they are.

When I had my first episode more than five years ago, my then-doctor implied he thought it was all in my head, that I was thinking about my breathing too much and causing this to happen somehow. Thank God I have a more sympathetic and respectful physician now.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:27 AM   #6
(male)

doglover HB User

Thanks for the replies.

What can we do about this?

I need to lose about 8 or so pounds, but that cannot be the only thing.

I do not excercise on a regular basis, will that help?

Is there a diet plan that we can use or try to change this. This issue is crazy, and I am tired of it.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:59 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

Well, if your hiatal hernia is REALLY bad, you can have surgery. But most aren't bad enough to warrant that.

Yes, weight loss would be great. Anything to relieve the pressure in the abdomen area. Treating yourself for reflux and eating properly will also alleviate it.

Believe me, I get "spells" of the not-breathing stuff that can go on for weeks and it drives me nuts. It generally happens during a flare up.

I remember the last time it happened, I had been fine for months. One night I made some Manwich Sloppy Joes for dinner and as soon as I finished my meal, the breathing issue kicked in and lasted for 4 weeks.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:02 PM   #8
(male)

doglover HB User

The weird thing is that I do not think the hiatal hernia is that bad. I asked the doctor if I needed to have it fixed and he said there was no need to.

This is just frustrating.

Thanks again for the info.

Closed Thread