It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome - Trouble diagnosing symptoms...

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-18-2007, 10:23 AM   #1
jenn892
(female)

jenn892 HB User
Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome - Trouble diagnosing symptoms...

My mother has been sick for over a year. We initially thought it was gastrointestinal due to symptoms but she has had test after test and nothing is abnormal.

Symptoms include extreme sickness including vomiting and severe abdominal pain for days at a time. It's happened maybe 5 times in the past year. She always is on her period and she will always wake up in the morning naseous and then be severly ill for atleast 12 hours without more than a 30 minute break. During the sickness she has back and abdominal pain - can't keep anything down.

Since they can't find any gastrointestinal issues I've been researching and researching and I finally found Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome - these symptoms match my mothers EXACTLY.

Has anyone had any experience with this syndrome??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2007, 04:53 PM   #2
jenn892
(female)

jenn892 HB User
Re: Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome - Trouble diagnosing symptoms...

There is no one commenting because this is such a rare disorder - I wanted to add some other things and hopefully get some kind of feedback.

Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome can also be linked to and/or called Stomach Migraines, has anyone had an experience or know anything about those?

Also - with Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome triggers include menstrual cycle and delayed allergic reactions - which are also very interesting to me.

Still looking to share experiences! Any thoughts would be welcome...thanks again!

Old 10-12-2007, 12:34 PM   #3
pidge0427
(female)

pidge0427 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome - Trouble diagnosing symptoms...

Hi Jenn,
I wanted to reply to you about CVS. My husband has been suffering from this for approx. 9 yrs. Up until a couple of years ago an episode occured once a year-usually around Thanksgiving/X-mas. This year he has had 3 episodes already. He has had every test possible and nothing is wrong w/him. He usually always ends up in the hospital-that is the only way it goes away. His GI & regular doctor were no help. I just started researching it last week because now it is happening more often & found the info. on CVS. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT HE HAS!!! We are both sure of it. Even down to the drugs that they suggest giving when he has an episode. I can't believe that the GI doctor doesn't know about this. We thought all these years that it must be stress related because all tests came back normal. The doctor recently suggested another scope of the gall bladder & I really didn't think it was anything to do w/the gall bladder because the symptoms just didn't match what he had. I used a search engine (Ggle) for severe vomiting & found the info. on CVS. There is some info. on triggers-chocolate, cheese, colds, allergies, menstruation, anxiety, excitability, exhaustion, migraines. I found those so far and am still checking. I found on websites for CVS- they are suggesting some migraine medicines to prevent episodes and also what to take once it occurs. So good luck and please post any new info you find & I will do the same.

Old 10-13-2007, 05:14 AM   #4
2angelwings
(female)

2angelwings HB User

A few years the GI Dr's thought my son had CVS. His symptoms did match those of CVS, only his vomiting lasted for two months. I'm still trying to find answers.

Good luck.

Are we allowed to post websites here? I found a really good one for CVS and that might help.

If so, I will gladly post it.

Old 10-13-2007, 05:20 AM   #5
2angelwings
(female)

2angelwings HB User

I don't think my last post went through so I'll post again just in case.

A few years ago we thought my son had CVS. His symptoms matched those of CVS, but his vomiting lasted for months. It was really violent vomiting.

I found a really good message board for CVS just he other day.

Are we able to post websites here? If so, I'd gladly post it for you.

Good luck. Go see another GI Dr. Most Dr's don't know about this disease.

I'm going to be posting in another thread about my son so some of this may be redundant to you. His symptoms aren't as bad this time around.

I got really lucky and found a GI Dr specializing in vomiting disorders here in MO. We should hear from him today on whether or not he will take my son's case. Look around the web. Call the CVS association if need be and try to get recommendations for a Dr.

It is not all in her head like some GI Dr's may be saying.

Closed Thread