It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2007, 06:35 PM   #1
(female)

mizzaj HB User
Talking H Pylori Treatment and Mastic Gum

Hi all,

I just started my H Pylori triple therapy today. Other than a metallic taste in my mouth, everything seems to be okay. (I hope it doesn't get worse as the days go on.....)

Just before I went on the H Pylori treatment, I was on Mastic Gum for about 10 days. Dunno if I can say it helped-- it was only 10 days.

My question is: should I continue taking the mastic gum while taking the antibiotics? I'm also taking a probiotic supplement.

I think Harry posted at some point saying that he took mastic gum after the gastritis that developed after he took antibiotics. Does the gastritis occur because the antibiotics aggravate the stomach lining? I thought that's what the PPIs were for....I really don't know....

What experiences have any of you had taking the H Pylori treatment? Did it make your stomach pain worse? I am taking Amoxicillin and Clarithromycin twice a day with food, but I know at least today that I have pain still. I'm worried that it will get worse b/c of the antibiotics. Although, back in the day when I didn't have stomach problems, I once took three consecutive courses of Zpac and was fine....not sure if what I'm on now is stronger.....

Old 10-04-2007, 04:35 AM   #2
(female)

mamaof3boyz HB User
Re: H Pylori Treatment and Mastic Gum

Mizzaj: I am happy to hear that you are currently on antibiotic treatment.
Good luck with everything!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2007, 05:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Hi l started h plyori treatment this morning **** l feel horrendous an hour after takign it l went white as a sheet and felt ill off balance weak dizzy drained for a few hours thought l was going to pass out!! Is this normal? good luck x Ps wots mastic gum?

Last edited by niecsey; 10-04-2007 at 05:28 AM.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:43 AM   #4
(female)

mizzaj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaof3boyz View Post
Mizzaj: I am happy to hear that you are currently on antibiotic treatment.
Good luck with everything!!!
Thanks, Mama! This will be Day 4, and I'm basically fine, other than having some diarrhea and a rumbling tummy. I hope it doesn't get any worse than this. If so, I can handle it. If not, I don't know what I'll do.

Oh, and the taste in my mouth from these antibiotics is AWFUL. I think you mentioned that in an earlier post (or someone did) and it's true. I'm chewing gum all day long. Yuck!

Niecsey-- Mastic Gum is an herbal supplement that has been shown to get rid of H Pylori. But I don't really know for sure if it does. If you do a search on these boards, you can find out more info. about it....good luck in feeling better with your meds! Sounds like no fun!

Old 10-04-2007, 10:02 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the reply **** l wish l had your side effects lol did some reading up and seen quite alot of people give up because of the side effects!! I dont want to be a quitter l want rid of my dodgy guts!! My doc mentioned after a few days l should feel a real benefit to how ive been feeling l hope that is true lol lm dreading taking the supper cocktail of meds!! if it makes me feel anything like it did this morning . Ive just had my 2nd antibiotic and hour an half ago and feel woozy. Ive the lansoprazine(typo) to take on a morning along with 2 different types of antibiotics and antibiotic midday then the lansoprazine(typo) and the 2 antibiotics to take tonight. Hope some people who have taking the treatment reply l was also a bit dissapointed to see it doesnt always get rid of it and it can come back l dont want to repeat this cocktail ever again lol good luck all x

Old 10-05-2007, 10:11 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Mizzaj, was wondering how your getting on? Took the evening dose last night and had stomach pain was up alnight got up this morning had my doses havnt felt too bad. Had a amoxocillin a few hours ago feel all woozy and dizzy now lol also coughed a big lump of clear mucus up yuck. Other than headaches and thirsty l think l can cope lol l bet your nearly done now? Wish it was me lol.Anyway just popped on to see how your doing good l hope? take care.ps its day 2 for me

Old 10-05-2007, 11:36 AM   #7
(female)

mizzaj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by niecsey View Post
Hi Mizzaj, was wondering how your getting on? Took the evening dose last night and had stomach pain was up alnight got up this morning had my doses havnt felt too bad. Had a amoxocillin a few hours ago feel all woozy and dizzy now lol also coughed a big lump of clear mucus up yuck. Other than headaches and thirsty l think l can cope lol l bet your nearly done now? Wish it was me lol.Anyway just popped on to see how your doing good l hope? take care.ps its day 2 for me
Hi niecsey,

Actually, today is only Day 5. I bascially feel okay. The bad taste in my mouth is still there but subsiding, and I think my diarrhea is easing up a bit-- fingers crossed! My stomach is still rumbling and grumbling like crazy. No pain though. I'm actually more concerned about the PPI I'm taking. I had a bad reaction to a PPI I took several months ago, and I'm not keen on taking it this time-- it tends to suppress my stomach acide so much that I can't digest my food and feel very full and nauseous. So I'm only going to take it once every other day-- doctors be damned!

It sounds like you are doing better-- headaches and dizziness don't sound fun, but hopefully when your body is more used to the medication, that will subside.....

take care,
AJ

Old 10-11-2007, 06:58 AM   #8
(female)

Narda99 HB User

I started my H-Pylori treatment yesterday. I have had many weeks of misery with this stomach and I would like to know how long it takes to feel better. I am not getting much sleep as it keeps me awake at night. My treatment consists of Nexium, Carafate, Clarithromycin and Metronidazole. Will await a reply. Thanks.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:42 PM   #9
(female)

mizzaj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narda99 View Post
I started my H-Pylori treatment yesterday. I have had many weeks of misery with this stomach and I would like to know how long it takes to feel better. I am not getting much sleep as it keeps me awake at night. My treatment consists of Nexium, Carafate, Clarithromycin and Metronidazole. Will await a reply. Thanks.
Hi Narda,

I'm still on the treatment. Your treatment is a little different than mine-- I'm not taking Carafate or Metronidazole. Mine should be done in a few days. I have to be honest, this regimen in itself is pretty tough and has hurt my stomach. But apparently those are normal side effects according to my doctor. Just hang in there!

I don't know when one would start to feel better; someone named Boz on the Acid Reflux board said she started to feel better about three days after stopping the treatment. I guess it depends on whether the H Pylori is the cause of your symptoms or not! Good luck to you!

Old 10-11-2007, 10:56 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

I think the strong antibiotics used in the treatments for H Pylori helps some people and badly affects others---
As you may know this bacteria causes about 85% of ulcer and you should feel better after the treatment if your Dx was correct.

My problem is most all antibiotics I take cause gastritis (inflamation of the stomach lining). And, that is what some people have to deal with after the treatment.

Everyone is so different--- the PPIs should be continued for a month or so and It helps some with gastritis but the ones I've taken did not help me.
I found that Mastica( Mastic Gum) -- taken twice daily -- 2-500mg caps taken between meals for 2 weeks cures the gastritis that is cause by antibiotics.
I also take several probiotic supplements because antibiotics will mess up the friendly bacteria in your gastrointestinal tract.

Harry

Old 10-12-2007, 03:05 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi all x second day without antibiotics woke up with the diaoreah (typos sorry) feel tired started getting a rash at the top of my chest this morning it seems to of settled down now... will l still have some effects going on after the antibiotics? When do they leave your system? I thought with one less ppi to take and no antibiotics ld feel good straight away LOL.. last night had some pressure type sensations in top of chest area and my joints were throbbing (lower back knees elbows etc) but l dont know if this is down to the thyroid probs l have too (thyroid removed In July ft4 at 26.0 at the moment top of lab range 22.0 they allow up to 26.0 once thyroids removed). Doesnt feeling like crap all the time get you down? Im fed right up l honestly am, wheres it all going to end? Or better still WHEN? Hope everyone else is feeling better xx

Old 10-15-2007, 03:49 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User

Oh nicesey, Sorry to hear you are not feeling to good hun!!

My sister had the H-pylori, you need to make sure its gone the best test for this is the breath test, I made sure my sister had it and it had gone...

Do you remember that I had a lot of stomach pains under my ribs, above belly button, had the Endoscopy that showed inflammation of the duodenum, well in May I had the skin ***** test done and I am allergic to dogs.cats, trees, grass, NUTS, FISH, borderline wheat and egg, so that's why I have been in pain, I have never eater NUTS as I don't like them.

I also have rhinitis's!! Oh and you know about my underactive thyroid, I am like you when does it all end... don't forget to go get the test..hugs ...Mandy

Old 10-15-2007, 03:57 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Ya Mandy (((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))) x great to hear from you l see weve both swapped boards lol! Yea your right its never ending TUT! How you doing? Better than before l hope hows your son? nice lad I had my thyroid removed in July thought it would be the answer to everything.. it wasnt For that lm totally annoyed my stomach probs were put down to the high doses of anti medications l was on! Ive decided NOW if lm ill l pester until lm treat propally cant carry on like this its no life living day to day not been able to plan things like 'normal' people.. incase lm bad grrrr having no energy when l should be buzzing etc etc etc! You know the drill Anyway just a shortie wanted to reply to you while lm doing my chores lol. Ps what was the endoscopy like? I think l will run away if they mention that to me lol. Take care xx luv niecsey xx

Old 10-15-2007, 04:19 PM   #14
(female)

mizzaj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
I think the strong antibiotics used in the treatments for H Pylori helps some people and badly affects others---
As you may know this bacteria causes about 85% of ulcer and you should feel better after the treatment if your Dx was correct.

My problem is most all antibiotics I take cause gastritis (inflamation of the stomach lining). And, that is what some people have to deal with after the treatment.

Everyone is so different--- the PPIs should be continued for a month or so and It helps some with gastritis but the ones I've taken did not help me.
I found that Mastica( Mastic Gum) -- taken twice daily -- 2-500mg caps taken between meals for 2 weeks cures the gastritis that is cause by antibiotics.
I also take several probiotic supplements because antibiotics will mess up the friendly bacteria in your gastrointestinal tract.

Harry
Harry,

What does gastritis feel like? Is it possible to have sort of an irritated/achey feeling under the rib cage and some pressure in the chest? Or am I way off? I didn't really have these feelings until I went on the antibiotics, and when you mentioned that antibiotics have caused you to have gastritis, I wondered if that was that case for me, too. It also feels like what people describe when they talk about gallbladder pains-- except that again, I never had any of this until the antibiotics, even though I have suspected for a while that my GB may be the culprit here...as much as I would love to believe that the Triple Therapy will relieve me of my stomach problems, I know there's no guarantee that it was the H Pylori even causing my symptoms...but I had to try to get rid of it in case it does help. (So far, no noticeable difference yet).

I bought the mastic gum made by Jarrow a few weeks ago. I am thinking of taking it now that I'm off the antibiotics. It can't hurt, right? However, the serving size says only two 500 mg capsules a day-- I'm a bit concerned about taking more than that. But it sounds like you do that and are okay. Any advice about this?

Also, I don't do very well on PPI's, but I did notice that when I was on Protonix for 6 weeks, though I could barely eat a thing while on it I would get full so quickly, I had no stomach pain or any other kind of pain. My pain didn't come back until after I had stopped the Protonix-- about 4 weeks later....

Old 10-23-2007, 02:39 PM   #15
(female)

tired47 HB User
Smile Re: H Pylori Treatment and Mastic Gum

Hi guys! I have been readying your threads... I went thru the H pylori too- 3 times. I am still positive with the Bacteria. I tried 3 different combinations of antibiotics/ PPI but they say I have a resistant strain. I know what you are all going through, hang in there!!! My Doctor says this is a very nasty bug you really want to get rid of.... right now I am taking a month break. I have just had enough for the last 9 months of treatment and then testing. I wanted to tell you all to please have your gallbladder checked too. I had TERRIBLE chest pain off and on and finally after two different times of testing found I had stones and 0%ejection rate of gallbladder, it was not functioning at all. I am recuperating from that surgery( thus the month off) and I do feel alot better, not 100% but a far cry from the past months. I read someone had their thyroid out, I had a partial thryoidectomy last fall and that was a piece of cake compared to the last 81/2 months of h pylori/ gallbladder. I am not sure where I go from here, the doctors are rolling around two ideas- TB drugs which they say are very nasty or sending my case to a study/university. I am opting for just living with it for a while, enjoying the holidays, then regrouping. I have a endoscopy in early Nov and we will al decide then. Good luck to all of you and God bless.

Closed Thread