It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2007, 05:55 PM   #1
(female)

mizzaj HB User
Who *SHOULDN'T* Take Digestive Enzymes????

I am currently on the Triple Therapy regimen for H Pylori. Though no problems were found when I had an upper GI back in April, it's possible that the Protonix I had been on for 6 weeks prior to the upper GI may have had something to do with that. (A doctor friend of mine confirmed what someone else on here posted- that after taking acid suppressing drugs, the scopes can produce "false negatives" of any problems in the stomach/duodenum area.)

I was reading something about digestive enzymes from another forum, and someone mentioned that they're not for everyone-- that they shouldn't be taken by those with gastritis or a duodenal ulcer. Now I can't say that I have either of those things, but given that I was diagnosed with H Pylori, I might. So now I'm wondering if the digestive enzymes I've taken since May have been making things worse. I truly have no idea. Just wanted to know if anyone out there had any thoughts/experience with the situation.

I did do a search and several sites I looked at did say that those with gastritis/ulcers should not take digestive enzymes. But it never explained why.....does anyone know?

Old 10-08-2007, 09:21 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

B143C HB User
Re: Who *SHOULDN'T* Take Digestive Enzymes????

Gastritis and ulcers are aggrevated by the digestion process - so that is probably why. You could call a nurse at your doctors office and ask if it's needs to be answered to a tee. Usually digestive enzymes are given to people who have pancreas troubles and need a little help to get the digestion going properly.

I'm sure everything will work out. God bless you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2007, 10:23 PM   #3
(female)

mizzaj HB User
Re: Who *SHOULDN'T* Take Digestive Enzymes????

Quote:
Originally Posted by B143C View Post
Gastritis and ulcers are aggrevated by the digestion process - so that is probably why. You could call a nurse at your doctors office and ask if it's needs to be answered to a tee. Usually digestive enzymes are given to people who have pancreas troubles and need a little help to get the digestion going properly.

I'm sure everything will work out. God bless you!
Interesting...I didn't realize that digestive enzymes are mainly given to people with pancreas troubles who have problems digesting properly, or that gastritis and ulcers and aggravated by the digestion process.

My acupuncturist, as well as the websites I've read, have made it sound like digestive enzymes are the next best thing to sliced bread for digestion. Based on that, I've convinced myself that I "need" them, without really understanding how, why, etc. That partially comes from not having a clear diagnosis after 8 months. I'm glad I'm going through the Triple Therapy in case that helps, but if it doesn't then I'm back to Square One with all of this. Which has been pretty frustrating!

Thank you for your reassuring words!

AJ

Closed Thread