It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2007, 09:54 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Hamilton92 HB UserHamilton92 HB User
Endoscopy complications

Has anyone ever had complications during or after an endoscopy?
I just saw a new gastroenterologist yesterday and I'm scheduled for an endoscopy next Tuesday.
I had one 3 years ago with my first doctor but I am really scared this time.
I know what to expect now and it makes it that much more scary.
I had trouble waking up after my first endoscopy. The doctor couldn't wake me up so he had to go get a shot of something to help me wake up. I don't remember anything of course from the meds all day afterwards but that worries me. Is that a complication or do some people just have a hard time waking up?
My symptoms are much worse than before. I have a constant, raw, burning pain in my stomach and I get sick and very nauseated but never throwing up but feel like I could any minute. I told my new doctor about a ultrasound and hida scan from my first doctor. An ultrasound couldn't find my gallbladder so originally they thought I was born without one which they said was very rare and then a hida scan showed my gallbladder was filling up too slowly during the first part of the scan when they inject your vein with the radioactive dye and take pictures every 15 minutes but I didn't have the CCK part to find out what my ejection fraction was, I was so so sick from the first part that I couldn't and refused the second part.
Well my new doctor asked me from the results I did get why didn't the doctor have my gallbladder taken out. Could that me a lot of my problem,all these years of burning and sick to my stomach? I don't know why my first doctor didn't have it taken out.
The endoscopy won't show anything related to my gallbladder will it?
I am scared of what he will find on this new endoscopy, I'm scared of years of damage that have built up and my stomach is so raw and hurting all the time and burning.
I am so scared right now.
I just noticed a new symptom too, that when my stomach burns really badly like now, my belly button around my belly button hole gets really red.
The back of my throat is always red but I thought maybe that was from allergies but now I don't know.
Please help anyone!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2007, 10:16 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Hamilton92 HB UserHamilton92 HB User
Re: Endoscopy complications

I am worried also about vomiting during my endoscopy. What happens if I do vomit while the endoscopy is being done? Will I choke, or what can they do if this happens?
I havfe never had nausea this severe and any minute when I am nauseated I feel like I'm on the verge of throwing up.
I also have a heart murmur, mitral valve prolapse. Am I at risk for complications?
I am psyching my self out but I am really scared this time and my symptoms are much worse.
I need anti anxiety meds and maybe something for nausea before I go have this done.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:14 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

B143C HB User

Dont worry, Hamilton. I'm sure it will all be just fine! I have to go for an endoscopy soon as well. At first I was super scared and still a bit nervous, but my step brother is a doctor and he assured me it is one of the safest procedures out there. Very, very, very low risk. They spray your throat with this heavy duty numbing spray so you don't feel it go in, thus, making the cahcne of throwing up slim to none. I've never heard of anyone throwing up during, but this procedure is so common, I am certain they are highly trained to take care of that if for some odd chance it were to happen.

I will keep you in my prayers. Oh, and stress makes abdominal pain much worse, so try to do something that takes your mind off the pain, like do something nice for someone else - send a card or letter just because. God bless you!

Old 10-11-2007, 12:16 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User

I don't think you can vomit during an endoscopy as you are usually not suppose to eat or drink anything before the procedure. Your stomach is suppose to be empty. I only gagged when they sprayed my throat with the numbing spray and that was because it tasted sooo bad and the lady shoved the nozzle 3/4 the way down my throat hitting my gag reflex! I was awake through my whole procedure and would have it done again if I had to.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:04 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

B143C HB User

Diamond, did they not give you a seditive? I've heard they don't always have to, but I've found no one who didn't have the seditive. The problem with me is I am breastfeeding and also highly allergic to some pain killers and I am scared of the seditive/pain killer part of the procedure, not the procedure itself.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:36 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User

Yes, I was given Demerol and Valium but it was such a little amount that it just made me a little woozy for a few mins. I remember the whole thing though and it was not a bad experience at all.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:38 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

B143C HB User

Thanks for information, Diamond. That makes me feel much better about the pain medicine part of the procedure. Thank you so much! =) I hope you are feeling better now.

God bless!

Closed Thread