It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2007, 10:03 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

B143C HB User
Scared & at My Wits End . . .

Hi guys. I am a 22 year old mom whose been suffering with upper abdominal pain for the last five months. The pain just keeps getting crazier. I have burning and crampy pain in my back just below my ribs on both sides. It comes in colicy waves. When I press there it is sore like a muscle or something. I also have this burning, sharp coming and going pain under my left rib cage. It also hurts and burns sometimes on my rib bones themselves and if I cup my hand under them where the bone is. The space between both ribs in front hurts when I press down on it and especially when I press down and breathe in. I also have this sometimes worse when I need to use the bathroom. I am so worried! I stay home with our children in the daytime and I am just so afraid something is going to happen to me.

I've had a normal HIDA, barium swallow, ultrasound and several normal blood panels at the ER. Each time I return to the ER with the pain they tell me to go get the endoscopy. That is about two weeks away. The worry is making me so much worse I know. Does anyone have any ideas of what this could be? If all my blood work has been fine along with the other tests, should I at least be ok until they get to my endoscopy? Any advice, ideas, prayers or encouraging words are greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much you guys.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2007, 02:17 PM   #2
(female)

Sisty HB User
Re: Scared & at My Wits End . . .

B143C. I am in a similar situation 10 months of pain, all negative tests, Hida, ultrasound, CT scans, MRCP, endoscopy, colonoscopy, barium, numerous bloods, 2 er visits, everything normal!!!! I have upper abdominal pain on the right side below my ribs, pain goes to my back and hurts when I breathe in. I am at my wits end too... If you get an insight please let me know.... if I ever get to the bottom of this I will post too

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2007, 02:38 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

B143C HB User

Thanks for your reply, Sisty. Have they considered a nerve problem? I've been doing some reading (I'm not sure the accuracy of all this) but, I've read that nerves can become inflammed and cause pain.

If I find anything out, I will definitly post. I'll keep you in my prayers! God bless and praying we both feel better soon.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:04 PM   #4
(female)

Ginger9909 HB User

Maybe its costochondritis. Its an inflammation of the rib cage. I got it when I lifted something heavy. I almost thought it was a heart attack because I was getting crushing heaviness in my chest which was worst when lying down or breathed in. I also may cause pain in the arms. The only thing to take for it is Ibuprofen.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:49 PM   #5
(female)

CTweet HB User

I have been researching SOD dysfunction (sphincter of Oddi). I have very very similar pain, post cholecystectomy (PCS). It seems to fit, for my symptoms and pain and yours are scarily similar.

Good luck and pray for pain free days

Old 10-27-2007, 10:26 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

B143C HB User

Hi guys. Thanks so much for your replies. So sweet of you guys to answer.
Both are very helpful. =)

Ginger, can that last for several months and be felt under your ribs too?

CTweet - I've heard a lot about that and have been curious about that . . . I wonder how they test for that one?

Prayers going up for you all and thanks for you concerns and helpful replies. I appreciate them all.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:12 AM   #7
(male)

eaturfiber HB User

You need to see if there is any connection to your problem arround your menstrual cycle. Possible shoulder pain? Pain after intercourse. If you have any of these symptoms, they may be connected, and worth checking out. Good luck, I imagine you don't have these symptoms, but if you do; tell your physician. I know this sounds stupid, but check out a irratable bowel syndrom diet.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:49 PM   #8
(female)

CTweet HB User

I am not being tested for it now. I am going to wait until its a last possible option. Why? Well the research my doc and I have done point to the high instance of the ERCP procedure throwing patients into a nasty case of pancreatitis. I had a mile case post cholycystecomy and I am just not willing to deal with that kind of pain again. We are first examining the possibility it might be neuropathy from B12 deficiency.

Just google "Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction". Google will throw you tons of sites that explain the dysfunction and how to test and treat it.

Good luck!

Old 10-30-2007, 01:53 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaturfiber View Post
You need to see if there is any connection to your problem arround your menstrual cycle. Possible shoulder pain? Pain after intercourse. If you have any of these symptoms, they may be connected, and worth checking out. Good luck, I imagine you don't have these symptoms, but if you do; tell your physician. I know this sounds stupid, but check out a irratable bowel syndrom diet.
Can you tell me what your talking about please? I think lve over read soemthing please cheers

Old 10-30-2007, 04:35 PM   #10
(female)

mizzaj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaturfiber View Post
I'm curious about this too...I definitely feel like my periods make things worse! And I've had a feeling that even before I started having stomach problems (back in February) that my cycle was making me feel sick more often, tired, etc. (My thyroid levels have always been normal). If it is related to menstruation, then what options does one have other than the pill? I'm going to start it soon and see if it helps anything....

Old 10-31-2007, 07:06 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Hi ay Miss x me too mine started years ago probs before period it started with panic attacks BUT in hindsight l was more than likely hyperthyroid for 7 years before been diagnosed! Yes it stinks but as weve all learnt you get nowhere unless you know whats going on yourself! Hope the poster comes back to tell us what she thinks is linked with the cycle. I dont want to use the pill again wa son it years ago been off it approx 14 years now it was offered back to me to 'mask' symptoms' and l thought symptoms are there for a reason!!! Good luck all x

Old 11-03-2007, 08:54 PM   #12
(male)

eaturfiber HB User

mizzaj, I think your issue is a little different than the issue on this particular page; if you have been diagnosed for H-Polori bacteria(Antibodies in blood?) then you are dealing with the bacteria eating away at the sides of your stomach. If you're conserned with better ways to tame bacteria while in triple therapy, lower your sugar intake to almost non existent(as well, this will help to keep Candida from raring it's little head up at you during Antibiotic treatment).

Last edited by eaturfiber; 11-03-2007 at 08:55 PM.

Closed Thread