It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2007, 10:15 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Hamilton92 HB UserHamilton92 HB User
Doctor won't give me results over the phone!! Scared!!

If any one read my previous posts I had an endoscopy done last tuesday.
The pending results of what he gave me in the office that day were pending three different sites he took biopsies from.

1. esofagitis esophagitis
2. gastritis
3. hiatial hernia

I had what looked like rings in my esophagus that he said the food is getting stuck on and that is why I can't swallow properly but he didn't want to take biopsies and dialate the same time because he said more than likely from experience he said my esophagus would tear. He said these rings could be caused by an allergy of some kind but didn't specify whether he was talking about a seasonal allergy or food allergy.
He told me to keep taking the over the counter Gaviscon I'm on for now, that it was perfectly safe until results come back.
I can't eat much because I've given up solid foods for a long time now and live on mushy foods, creamed soup and stuff like that.
The site of my hiatial hernia looked horrible. The area was really red, puffy and swollen, like my stomach was trying to turn inside out, thats what a hiatial hernia is thought the best it was described to me is where the stomach is trying to basically turn inside out and come back up through your esophagus.

Well he's been on vacation and just came back yesterday, the scheduler called this morning to schedule an appointment to come it to talk about my results. WHy wouldn't the nurse just call with the results over the phone?
That scares me to death. I called back immediately and asked to talk to the nurse. I've been waiting a couple of hours now, they are usually really good about calling back quickly but this scares me.
If they won't tell you over the phone does that mean its really bad?
I am scared, what if it's cancer or something? I don't think I can take it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2007, 12:42 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Doctor won't give me results over the phone!! Scared!!

They don't tell you on the phone because the doctor has to give you the results - the nurse can't. And it's better in person in case they want to draw you a picture of the issue or the repair and give you more detailed info than they can in a phone call. It doesn't things are worse - or better - either way.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:45 PM   #3
(female)

Texas Tomato HB User

Hi, Hamilton --

I had an endoscopy two weeks ago and even though it came out "normal," they still scheduled a follow-up appointment to discuss my regimen.

You say you're on Gaviscon but you don't mention any other meds. I'm sure that even if your condition is not severe or worst-case scenario, they still want to discuss your treatment, including prescription meds and diet. Honestly, it doesn't sound like scheduling a followup appointment in person is at all out of the ordinary. In fact, seems like business-as-usual to me. Try to stay calm and not read too much into it. I know that's easier said than done.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:28 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

I didn't know that the nurse couldn't give me results so that sort of relieves me.
I tried to call the doctors office 3 times yesterday as soon as they called to make the appointment I immediately asked to talk to the nurse and they said they'd send a message back to her to call me. The last call I made at about 4:00 an hour before the office closed they told me again, she got your message and should be calling you back. Well she never did.
The least she could have done is call me back and tell me I needed to talk to the doctor, or at least assure me nothing is seriously wrong.
Now I have to worry all weekend until I can call again monday morning.
If its just to give me results they could have given me over the phone I really can't afford the office visit and I told them this.
The doctor did say something about the rings in my esphagus he said if it was caused by allergens that caused my esophagus to form these rings and tighten and close up, if it came to be the esofagitis esophagitis it could be treated with a steroid type drug. I am thinking now maybe if he wants to try medicine to clear up some things he needs to explain to me the meds and what he needs to do next.
If he thought he saw cancer, would he have told me right after the endoscopy? or can cancer only be detected through the pathology reports?
I am so scared! I'm trying to stay calm though.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:54 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Please help anyone! I am so scared and can't quit shaking
The nurse never called me back last week and I've been waiting for hours for her to call me back today.
I just need to hear if its the dreaded "C" word or not.
Has anyone ever had this happen where you had an endoscopy and they wouldn't give you the results over the phone that you had to go into the office to get them? What were the results?

Old 10-29-2007, 01:56 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User

Yes, they don't ever give me results over the phone. I get mad because I live an hour away from the city (where all the doctors are!).

I freaked out too but I went all the way in to hear "looks good" until I did get a colonoscopy and endoscopy - drove all the way in for that too, I found out I had Crohn's, etc, etc... But my point, all my tests before were "normal" and they wouldn't tell me over the phone.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:02 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton92 View Post
Please help anyone! I am so scared and can't quit shaking
The nurse never called me back last week and I've been waiting for hours for her to call me back today.
I just need to hear if its the dreaded "C" word or not.
Has anyone ever had this happen where you had an endoscopy and they wouldn't give you the results over the phone that you had to go into the office to get them? What were the results?
They would need to do a biopsy to determine if a tumor is cancer or benign.
Please calm down!

Old 10-29-2007, 08:55 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

I was wrong about the spelling of the first possible diagnosis.
It is eosophilic esophagitis.
Does anyone have this? What is it?
I have a quick question about cancer of the esophagus or stomach.
If I had a cancerous growth or pre-cancerous tissue that the doctor saw during the endoscopy would he have told me I possibly have cancer at that time? Or can it only be diagnosed through biopsy and not by the doctors eye? I am so scared, I just can't calm down.
I pretty much accept the idea that if it is cancer my life is over. I'm only 33 but like my husband said I have been sick and undiagnosed for 3 years now so it is probably nothing and not to worry but I can tell he is holding back his fear for me too just the way he says it and the look in his eyes when he thinks I'm not looking.
I feel like I am bothering the doctors office every time I call and the girl that answers the phone is like oh god it's you again when she answers the phone or its me but I would like her to know how it feels to be in my shoes right now.
Is there anyone in Tulsa, OK who has Dr. Kliewer as their doctor or have you ever been told that only the doctor can give you the results. My file I was told is sitting on his desk and he has to give approval to give me the answers I want over the phone. Why is my file on his desk? What is that all about?
Sorry to go on and on but I am really scared!

Old 10-30-2007, 08:13 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

First, understand an endoscopy, like a colonscopy, is not a "test", per se, but just an observation.

It is typical to only get a 1st-impression synopsis at the scope appointment if you're half-conscious, and then have to go in to hear all the results and the conclusions. Happens with me and my mother, both ends (she the latter, not I).

As someone said, if they take biopsies they need the results of those, and the doctor needs to assess all the info he has together from them and what he saw (and make sure he didn't miss anything when actually viewing that he might see later). So that can take a while.

All I can say is this is typical standard operating procedure for something that is literally just "taking a look-see". It's not like a blood TEST, where often you can just call in to find results (or they'll call you next week). If they're normal, they just tell you so (or don't bother); if not, they might want you to come in.

Closed Thread