It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2007, 09:09 AM   #1
(female)

slbeard77 HB User
Gas-belching/bloating/sharp & dull pain

I did another post but didn't write anything - so I'm giving this another shot!!!

Okay - here it goes...

I have been having this stomach issue for a year now - ughhhhhh. It started with 4 weeks of diarreah and nausea and then that subsided. It then progressed to a few times a week where I would have sharp pains, nausea, severe gas pressure and belching/bloating. It has now become an every day ordeal - and I cannot get rid of it. There is no "safe" food.

I have always been little (around 100 lbs.), so having a stomach issue that seems to revolve around eating - is a big deal - I cannot afford to lose weight. I feel like I must have some serious disease to be in this much pain...and if it keeps going undetected - where will I be? I keep praying I will wake up one morning and everything will just be good - but no luck

My biggest complaint is the gas type pressure and belching after I eat. It could be a half hour before it starts - it could be two hours...there is no rhyme or reason. All I know is that water seems to make it worse, and I feel the best when I wake up in the morning. Of course fatty and fried and coffee make it worse - but I was told my endoscopy was perfectly normal. They didn't even say reflux.

I have had a Gall bladder Ultrasound, 6 vials of blood tested, a gastric emptying scan, and a endoscopy done. Everything was fine. So explain the constant distress. Ughhh. It interferes with my whole life. I have two young children, 8 and 2, and am the sole provider. I need to be 100 percent healthwise.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2007, 05:25 PM   #2
(female)

wannaBcured HB User
Re: Gas-belching/bloating/sharp & dull pain

wow...sounds very familiar. I am a light weight too. I was told I have acid reflux. Dr. didn't do any tests, just came up with this and put me on protonix.

For now, my belching has lessened. BUT...the gas is an embarrassment. I never know when it will decide to escape and the odor is awful. My husband has reported to me.... that I am killing him at night.

I did have a spell of awful pain and soreness almost like a bruise on my right side, right below my rib cage. I thought it was gall bladder. But dr. assured me that isn't what it was or is.

My blood count was not normal. Dr. did not tell me the exact reason is wasn't normal, only that the sugar was low.

Sorry I have no advice for you. Hoping someone out there can help us.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:51 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User

No colonoscopy? I'd press further. I was told for months (and months) nothing was wrong until I got a colonoscopy (and endoscopy at the same time!) then the problem was found. Switch doctors if you have to. I know what it's like to be told nothing is wrong. It's frustrating and you do start to doubt yourself. If there is pain, bloating gas... there is something wrong.

Good luck.. keep pushing!

Old 10-27-2007, 08:17 PM   #4
(male)

Collector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB User

It could still be the gallbladder. Did they do a HIDA test?

Sometimes the ultrasound will not detect "sludge", ie, very small stones, it also cannot detect inflammation or problems with the ducts leading out of the gallbladder.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:49 AM   #5
(female)

slbeard77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector167 View Post
It could still be the gallbladder. Did they do a HIDA test?

Sometimes the ultrasound will not detect "sludge", ie, very small stones, it also cannot detect inflammation or problems with the ducts leading out of the gallbladder.
Hida is what they have suggested since May - I just haven't done the test. I let them do all of the other tests with no results...so i am hesitant here. also have a two year old and everyone I know works during office hours!!

I just thought that with Gall Bladder, typically it affects women more than men, and women who are overweight...fertile...or over forty....My doctor said "the 4 F's, female, fat, forty, fertile". I am 30, 100 lbs, and have had two kiddies. I guess my diet has been awful though. Because I am 100 lbs - I ate whatever I wanted too - and it was never healthy. My father has Gerd and IBS, and my 31 YO brother has Acid Reflux. I know there is a family history of stomach issues....but mine seem to be a little different than the males in the family.

Who knows

Old 10-29-2007, 08:54 AM   #6
(female)

slbeard77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeGirl View Post
No colonoscopy? I'd press further. I was told for months (and months) nothing was wrong until I got a colonoscopy (and endoscopy at the same time!) then the problem was found. Switch doctors if you have to. I know what it's like to be told nothing is wrong. It's frustrating and you do start to doubt yourself. If there is pain, bloating gas... there is something wrong.

No colonoscopy or stool samples or testing that way. They doubted Chrohn's or colitis b/c I have had no blood in stool or whatever. Plus there is no urgency to go. Its all Gas pressure/build-up, and sometimes sharp pains (I assume b/c gas bubbles are present).

My 24 YO neighbor did have some blood - and they suspected ulcerative colitis...had put her on all these meds, and when the colonoscopy was done - they found nothing. I guess I have lost faith in Gastro's at this point.

As far as doctors go...my town has 4 Gastro's - all in same practice. If I switch...they will surely consult the previous one whom I am sure they are all close with - you know. If one believes all is well...they will probably all follow her decision.

I am going to try and go with the family doctor who seems to be concerned and at least trying to help. Testing with Hida Scan and Thyroid testing .... etc etc etc.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:56 AM   #7
(female)

slbeard77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaBcured View Post
wow...sounds very familiar. I am a light weight too. I was told I have acid reflux. Dr. didn't do any tests, just came up with this and put me on protonix.

For now, my belching has lessened. BUT...the gas is an embarrassment. I never know when it will decide to escape and the odor is awful. My husband has reported to me.... that I am killing him at night.

I did have a spell of awful pain and soreness almost like a bruise on my right side, right below my rib cage. I thought it was gall bladder. But dr. assured me that isn't what it was or is.

My blood count was not normal. Dr. did not tell me the exact reason is wasn't normal, only that the sugar was low.

Sorry I have no advice for you. Hoping someone out there can help us.
I have tried Nexium, Aciphex, Prilosec and Prevacid (maybe a week for each one). They all seemed to make me constipated which gave me different pains. I just stopped everything b/c the PPI's didn't stop belching/Gas for me.

Hope you feel better soon!!!

Old 10-30-2007, 11:29 AM   #8
(female)

Graciella HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeGirl View Post

well what did they find???

Closed Thread