It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2007, 10:46 AM   #1
(female)

Narda99 HB User
H Pylori Treatment and PVC's

Three days ago I finished my antibiotic treatment (4 medications) for H Pylori. I am still on the Nexium and Carafate. I thought I was improving, but last night was horrible, no sleep at all. The gnawing feeling, diarrhea, and nausea are back. I am back to step one. Do I need another round of treatment? Does the antibiotics stay in the body for a few days, weeks? If I don't improve over the weekend, I plan to call my doctor on Monday. Also, when I get the faint, gnawing feeling it creates a lot of stomach gas, which seem to press on the vagus nerve (or the heart) and creates PVC's (skipped heartbeats) which make me feel as though the wind was knocked out of me. I keep losing my breath. It has even started my SVT when it gets quite bad. I feel miserable. I certainly would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:46 AM   #2
(female)

tired47 HB User
Re: H Pylori Treatment and PVC's

Hi!! I am so sorry to hear you are going thru this... I have and still have H pylori. Please call your Dr., tell him/her and have them test you to see if its gone ( may have to wait 2 weeks for accurate test). I went thru numerous antibiotics and it is very resistent to all that I have taken. But, I had similar syptoms and recently had my Gallbladder taken out. So have them do a GB ultrasound and a Hida scan. My first set was negative, but now 9 months later lots of little stones and 0% functioning GB. I feel ALOT better since its removal, no more squeezing chest pain, tachycardia, ect....
Anyway Call your Dr., good luck and God Bless!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2007, 03:28 PM   #3
(female)

mizzaj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tired47 View Post
Hi!! I am so sorry to hear you are going thru this... I have and still have H pylori. Please call your Dr., tell him/her and have them test you to see if its gone ( may have to wait 2 weeks for accurate test). I went thru numerous antibiotics and it is very resistent to all that I have taken. But, I had similar syptoms and recently had my Gallbladder taken out. So have them do a GB ultrasound and a Hida scan. My first set was negative, but now 9 months later lots of little stones and 0% functioning GB. I feel ALOT better since its removal, no more squeezing chest pain, tachycardia, ect....
Anyway Call your Dr., good luck and God Bless!!!
Hey tired47...I'm no worse than before I took the antibiotics for H Pylori, but certainly no better. If anything, my symptoms almost seem a bit...different? More shooting pains in the abdomen and chest. It's odd....haven't heard from Niecsey lately....maybe she's doing better?!?!?! It definitely seems like we all went through a period of misery during and a bit after the antibiotics...

Like I've mentioned in previous posts, I've suspected this was my gallbladder all along. I'm interested in knowing more about your experience. So you say that at first everything came back negative, and then eventually when you had tests several months later things showed up? If things showed up negative in the beginning, how did you convince them to do more tests? And again, what were your main symptoms for GB? Did they get worse as time went on? Did you find that even eating healthier/lower calorie/non fat still produced symptoms? That's my deal, and it's frustrating! Any advice you can give on your own experience related to the GB would be helpful...thanks!

Old 10-30-2007, 12:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

HI YA MISS XXX l was wondering where you were! Me too different symptoms no real bloating hardly any gas lm still getting the sternum area pain/cramp shorter periods of it but stronger not everyday though cramping in upper rib area too (l dont know if its related) anyhow lm going to the doc tommorow hopefully that will be me done with the ppi too lve been wondering about you wondering how you were lm having lots joint muscle pain it could be related to my thyroid levels l dont know had it years but its getting worse lm sick feeling crap lol and my periods due arghhhhh!!!!! Great to see your here although sad your still having probs too! Whats going to be your next move? Keep in touch x

Old 10-30-2007, 02:40 PM   #5
(female)

tired47 HB User

HI! My experience has been ongoing for about 9 months, hope it does NOT take you that long to find answers to your problems. As for my Gallbladder I had it checked in Feb. ( beginning of my symptoms). I had a ultrasound ( negative) and a Hida scan but they did NOT do the 2nd part of the Hida scan, the emptying of the Gallbladder part. I asked why when I had the second Hida Scan and they told me the Dr. did not order it.... GREAT!!! maybe it would have been found earlier... who knows. But to answer your question as to why I had them repeated-
1. I found another Dr. who listened to me and did not want to just give me a PILL and tell me to go home!!!!!!!
2. I had some even more severe pain, or "attacks" which instead of just squeezing chest pain it radiated into my back, then not to be gross.. I had nausa and vomiting (of bile). It got so bad even water was making me nauseous...couldnot wait for surgery.
Just make sure you are rechecked for H pylori to be gone.... my first Dr. never did that either, so I still have even after 2 more rounds of different combinations of antibiotics. My new Dr. says this H pylori is VERY nasty stuff and can make you feel terrible. If left untreated the possibiltiy of stomach cancer increases dramatically. I had read this is false, but I know I still do not feel great since I have had the h pylori rear its ugly head, and I just want it gone if possible. So anyone with any ideas on how to get rid of this beast.... post them here!!! Good luck to you and God bless/
!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzaj View Post
Hey tired47...I'm no worse than before I took the antibiotics for H Pylori, but certainly no better. If anything, my symptoms almost seem a bit...different? More shooting pains in the abdomen and chest. It's odd....haven't heard from Niecsey lately....maybe she's doing better?!?!?! It definitely seems like we all went through a period of misery during and a bit after the antibiotics...

Like I've mentioned in previous posts, I've suspected this was my gallbladder all along. I'm interested in knowing more about your experience. So you say that at first everything came back negative, and then eventually when you had tests several months later things showed up? If things showed up negative in the beginning, how did you convince them to do more tests? And again, what were your main symptoms for GB? Did they get worse as time went on? Did you find that even eating healthier/lower calorie/non fat still produced symptoms? That's my deal, and it's frustrating! Any advice you can give on your own experience related to the GB would be helpful...thanks!

Old 10-30-2007, 03:14 PM   #6
(female)

mizzaj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tired47 View Post
HI! My experience has been ongoing for about 9 months, hope it does NOT take you that long to find answers to your problems. As for my Gallbladder I had it checked in Feb. ( beginning of my symptoms). I had a ultrasound ( negative) and a Hida scan but they did NOT do the 2nd part of the Hida scan, the emptying of the Gallbladder part. I asked why when I had the second Hida Scan and they told me the Dr. did not order it.... GREAT!!! maybe it would have been found earlier... who knows. But to answer your question as to why I had them repeated-
1. I found another Dr. who listened to me and did not want to just give me a PILL and tell me to go home!!!!!!!
2. I had some even more severe pain, or "attacks" which instead of just squeezing chest pain it radiated into my back, then not to be gross.. I had nausa and vomiting (of bile). It got so bad even water was making me nauseous...couldnot wait for surgery.
Just make sure you are rechecked for H pylori to be gone.... my first Dr. never did that either, so I still have even after 2 more rounds of different combinations of antibiotics. My new Dr. says this H pylori is VERY nasty stuff and can make you feel terrible. If left untreated the possibiltiy of stomach cancer increases dramatically. I had read this is false, but I know I still do not feel great since I have had the h pylori rear its ugly head, and I just want it gone if possible. So anyone with any ideas on how to get rid of this beast.... post them here!!! Good luck to you and God bless/
!
Hi Tired47...thanks for your reply!!! My problems started in February too! I had what I later believe to be "attacks". My last real "attack" (if that's what it was) was at the end of February-- I had such bad stomach pain and nausea that I ended up fainting. When they took me to the ER, they thought it was my heart-- I knew it wasn't though, and of course, my heart was fine. I kept saying, "It's my stomach!" So they gave me Protonix and sent me on my way.

At that point, I started eating light, low fat, more frequent meals. I felt great for about two and a half weeks. Then I think the effects of the Protonix started to mess with me-- it was like I could barely eat anything. Like I didn't have enough stomach acid to digest my food-- or so I reasoned. I went off the Protonix after 6 weeks.

Sadly, my upper endoscopy was done at the end of those 6 weeks-- so any inflammation or problems didn't appear. Once I got off the Protonix, it became easier to eat-- but then I started having reflux and stomach pain a month later. As I might've mentioned, my first ultrasound at the end of March showed small stones, sludge, something. I asked for a HIDA scan, and like with you, I guess the doctor didn't order the CCK injection part. Since my gb otherwise looked fine from the basic scan ,the doctor started changing his tune-- saying that he didn't think gb was my problem-- that I probably had IBS or non ulcer dyspepsia. They prescribed me Levsin, which did no good.

During that time, I was seeing an acupuncturist and taking a lot of digestive herbs. It's hard to say if it truly helped. I have since stopped going b/c it was too much money.

Anyway, I did see a gb surgeon, and I asked to have the ultrasound repeated-- just to see if they could get a better picture of things. This was at the end of June-- three months after the first one. And there was NOTHING! At that point, the surgeon couldn't do anything for me, so I requested a "second opinion". That was with the doc who said that HIDA scans are a load of doo doo. Which is crazy, b/c I've read that those with no stones who have low ejection rates often do very well after gb surgery....

I will definitely ask the doc about H Pylori to see if it is now gone. I guess I assumed it wasn't causing my symptoms because I don't feel better now that I've done the Triple Therapy. But that could also be b/c it's not gone! I just don't know what is what anymore, and like you said, the symptoms are very similar!!

Sorry for the long reply....the point is, I've been dealing with this for a long time too, and I have yet to find a doctor that listens....my friend recommended one to me, and the second my PPO kicks in this January, I am seeing this guy-- my friend said HE ACTUALLY LISTENS, and from her experience of having a lot of different health problems, she feels that most doctors don't know and don't care about a lot of the things we're suffering from. Great!

Old 10-30-2007, 06:12 PM   #7
(female)

mizzaj HB User

Just make sure you are rechecked for H pylori to be gone.... my first Dr. never did that either, so I still have even after 2 more rounds of different combinations of antibiotics. My new Dr. says this H pylori is VERY nasty stuff and can make you feel terrible. If left untreated the possibiltiy of stomach cancer increases dramatically. I had read this is false, but I know I still do not feel great since I have had the h pylori rear its ugly head, and I just want it gone if possible. So anyone with any ideas on how to get rid of this beast.... post them here!!! Good luck to you and God bless/--

Tired47-- have you tried Mastic Gum? I've heard it can help fight off/get rid of the bacteria. It's an herbal supplement that you can find online or in a health food store. I just starting using the brand by Jarrow. Do a search on these boards and you'll find some posts from someone named Harry. And if you google it, you'll find out some more information. It's sort of controversial as to whether it actually kills the bacteria on its own, but it could help!

P.S. How was your recovery from your gb surgery? I've heard a lot of negative stories on these boards, but everyone I know who's had it done has had a positive experience. In case I end up needing it, I just want to know as much as I can about the recovery...

Old 10-31-2007, 06:54 AM   #8
(female)

tired47 HB User

Hi Again!!
Thanks for all the input! Its nice to know we are not alone. As for the Mastic gum, I just started taking it. It says two pills in the morning before breaksfast, makes me a little nauseous. i don't believe its the mastic gum, its the plastic encapsulating the herb/medicine. I have never been one to take pills in morning... later is better.\
Tomorrow I go for a endoscopy, but it will be to earlier to tell if the mastic gum has done anything, I have only been taking it for a week.
The GI dr. is then going to decide where we go from here for the H pylori... wish me luck.
AS for the GB surgery, it was not bad. I had outpatient surgery, try and talk them into keeping you one night. I had a lot of N/V post op. No terrible pain. My only complaint was they say you can start eating things slowly.... I got very, very sick from trying to eat any fat. I am now at week 3 and it is much better, just a lot slower adding food back. So take your time.... they made it sound like everything would be cured INSTANTLY, and I am definitely feeling much better, but it is not an instant cure. No more squeezing chest... that alone is so worth it!!!
Good luck to all, and God bless!!!

Old 10-31-2007, 10:35 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Good luck Tired x ps can you tell me where in your chest you had the probs please? Cheers

Old 11-03-2007, 07:50 PM   #10
(female)

tired47 HB User

Hi Niecsey,
My chest pain was a squeezing in mid chest. It came on slowly or very, very sudden and at times I felt lightheaded/weak from it. It is sooooooooooo much better now. I still have some "tenderness" in mid chest, but maybe it will eventually all go away. I was told it was esophageal spasms, and I have found any really "hard" foods ( such as hard pretzels, carrot sticks, celery, large pills ,ect) make it worse. Good luck and god bless!!

Last edited by tired47; 11-03-2007 at 07:52 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 11-04-2007, 03:07 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Tired and thanx x its hard to describe aint it? Mine l seem to get 2 different types l get one which isnt in the centre of chest its higher up and will be just off to the left or right and is like a pressure that lasts split seconds but can be reocurant or l get the pain just below or strenum area which l think is a cramping? that dont last long either but can come and go for a while its so hard to explain Thanks anyway good luck with everything x

Old 11-06-2007, 07:10 PM   #12
(female)

mizzaj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by niecsey View Post
Hi Tired and thanx x its hard to describe aint it? Mine l seem to get 2 different types l get one which isnt in the centre of chest its higher up and will be just off to the left or right and is like a pressure that lasts split seconds but can be reocurant or l get the pain just below or strenum area which l think is a cramping? that dont last long either but can come and go for a while its so hard to explain Thanks anyway good luck with everything x
Hey Tired,

How is the Mastic Gum working for you so far? have you been able to start adding different foods back into your diet since the gb surgery, or is that too difficult due to any H Pylori symptoms you may be experiencing? Like Niecsey (hi Niecsey!) I have some chest pressure too. Mine usually starts after I have eaten, but seems to last a while. It's not as bad as yours where I am light headed or have trouble breathing, but like Niecsey said, it can be either last a split second (like a twinge of pain) or be sort of constant. I just don't know anymore. Every day I have some kind of pain or strange feelings in my abdomen. The chest stuff isn't totally new-- it just feels more prominent/noticeable since I stopped the antibiotics. Maybe that's why you're feeing it, Niecsey. Again, dunno if it's gastritis, or gallbladder. My stupid GI doc doesn't believe in doing HIDA scans, which really angers me. I have to wonder if I have chronic gallbladder inflammation due to sludge, and rather than having stones stuck in my bile ducts or whatever, it's just a constant, moderate pain that could be caused by a poor functioning gall bladder. Of course, without the option of having a HIDA scan, I don't know for sure...boy, I can't wait until I get a new doctor!

Let's hope we all feel better SOON!

Old 11-07-2007, 06:56 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Mizz x how you doing? Understand about the 'new symptoms' TUT! I feel like my stomach feels hot? at times ALSO my period still has not arrived which isnt like me at all so l guess that triple nasty meciation has really stuffed me up! Have you managed to have a period yet? I still had all my pmt symptoms or is that what lm really like? lol. Anyway can ring for some results at the end of week from all the blood tests l had done and l have to go back see her the doc and she will want me to go for the endoscopy dont you just get hacked off with feeling ill? Arghhhhh l just want a normal peaceful healthy exsistance lol Take care xx keep in touch!

Old 11-07-2007, 06:50 PM   #14
(female)

mizzaj HB User
Smile Re: H Pylori Treatment and PVC's

Quote:
Originally Posted by niecsey View Post
Hi Mizz x how you doing? Understand about the 'new symptoms' TUT! I feel like my stomach feels hot? at times ALSO my period still has not arrived which isnt like me at all so l guess that triple nasty meciation has really stuffed me up! Have you managed to have a period yet? I still had all my pmt symptoms or is that what lm really like? lol. Anyway can ring for some results at the end of week from all the blood tests l had done and l have to go back see her the doc and she will want me to go for the endoscopy dont you just get hacked off with feeling ill? Arghhhhh l just want a normal peaceful healthy exsistance lol Take care xx keep in touch!
Hi Niecsey...heh heh. I like how you call it "triple nasty" medication. So true, so true! I am finishing up my period at the moment, but it felt like the events leading up to it lasted two weeks-- spotting, having pains in my pelvic region, some additional nausea, etc. I definitely think it's antibiotic related, no question. So like me, maybe you're going through all of the usual signs and symptoms for an extended period of time before you get yours....

What blood tests did you get? Like I said, I'm going to give a stool sample soon to see if the H Pylori is still there. Oh joy! Also, I *wish* I could get another endoscopy, as crazy as that sounds. Since the first one wasn't bad and probably produced a false negative due to the fact that I had been on Protonix for 6 weeks, I don't think it revealed anything of value to me and thus I feel it wouldn't be so bad to repeat.

In addition to crazy periods and weird chest pressure/pain, I have been fighting a cold on and off for the last week. I thought I was past it until this morning when I felt achey and cold again. I then took some Oscillococcinum-- a homeopathic remedy good for colds and flus. Normally I'd take large doses of Vitamin C, but that seems to hurt my stomach. I guess it's the change of weather and whatnot (don't laugh, I live in Los Angeles where it's still in the upper 60s/low 70s, but the temps go from 50 at night to 70 during the day-- I think that messes with a person's immune system). Sadly, when I am not feeling well, my stomach seems to hurt more. Definitely a vicious cycle. I can't wait until I have another abdominal ultrasound to check for gallstones, and then I am going to BEG for a HIDA scan. Wow, never thought I'd be saying those words....

Take care and feel better, Niecsey-- and everyone else who reads this!

AJ

Old 11-08-2007, 01:18 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi ya Mizz lve got like a pulled muscle type feeling in my stomach now it started yesterday after l had been shopping slighly to the left not in my usual 'pain place' at all! actually over my stomach area. Its still there today ive had horrendous nausea the last few days. I didnt actually vomit but felt like doing! The first day it made me that weak and light headed l went to bed could not function at all.) Hubby tells me l was soaking in sweat again last night in my sleep little worry arnt stomach probs night sweats nausea etc symptoms of lymphomas? Its worrying but l think the meds have made things worse too. The blood tests l had done was because l mentioned l was getting more joint pain problems and with me having 1 autoimmune disease (graves hyperthyroidism) l guess she wanted to check for others. Ive been waking myself up through the night groaning with lower back pain or pain in my knees where l cant move for a few minutes so l guess she wanted that checked out. I too also get symptoms of flu coming on that doesnt materalize this too has been going on for a good while. I try not to take any supplements/ herbs other than recently ginger/ peppermint tea as with stomachs like ours lm scared to do any harm. Im still taking the pro biotics. I am worried about the endoscopy which l will have to wait for now lve mentioned it those who have had it are telling me how horrid it was the witches lol and others saying they dont remember a thing ... l like those type of people lol anyway hope you have a good day today and keep in touch!! xxx (ps never thought we would still be having probs after x amount of weeks! )

Closed Thread