It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2007, 11:17 AM   #1
(male)

jeremiabullfrog HB User
Question Very Confuzzled...

Hello!!

I am a 21 year old male, and I have been dealing withstomach issues for a little over 2 years now. It all started on my last year of high school, when I would wake up every morning, sick to my stomach. I would vomit evey morning, without fail, while taking a shower. I went to the doctor and was perscribed prevacid. This was great, but I ended up graduating and moving to New Orleans for Katrina aftermath relief work. Those times were probably the worst, darkest times of mylife. To this day, I have continued to throw up every morning. Some days are not so bad, others are horrible. I have since been to the doctor, had an upper endoscopy. The UE confirmed that I have "a small cluster of ulcers around the base of my esophagus" ? I am not very literate in medically related things, this is the explanation givent to me after the UE was done. I have also had ultrasounds done on my gallbladder, kidneys, and I think my liver which all came back normal. I have noticed that I have a pain in my stmoach, if it is pressed on, I can feel a dull pain. I especially notice this, when my 10 month old daughter decides to use my tummy for a trampoline. I am not overwieght, or otherwise unhealthy. I eat a pretty decent diet these days, having cut out sodas, coffee, greasy foods, fast foods, etc. I eat sandwiches, pastas, cottage cheese (I love it!), milk, juices, sometimes fresh fruit (gives me major heartburn, except for bananas), fresh veggies.... etc. It has gotten to the point lately, that the pain in my stomach will wake me up from sleep. Typically in the morning; this morning I was woken up with this pain at 5:15AM, and I do not have to get up for work until 6:45. This has become very frequent, and I am starting to feel fatigued. I spend on average 45 minutes -1 hour in the shower these days in the AM dealing with the naseau and vomiting, typically followed by a recovery period as I get so exhausted from vomiting. When I vomit, it is usually a very nasty tasting "greenish bile." Occasionally, there is also blood (brighter red) mixed in with it, but I have writtenthat off as my throat being irratated from the vomiting.

Usually after a meal, which portion thereof have become so drasticaly smaller, I feel very bloated although i have barely eaten anything. Almost a painfully full feeling. Eating has become more of a chore than an enjoyment.

I do smoke cigarettes, and I know that they are not good for my ulcers, but during a cigarette even if it is for a shortwhile, my stomach is at ease. I have also been taking "stacker 3" for the caffiene (250mg per capsule), due to my feeling so fatigued, and have noticed that 45 minutes after taking one of them, my stomach feels almost "normal" for about 3 hours. I have been taking these for 2 weeks now.

I typically make 2 - 3 BM's per day, and they are never completely solid. More of a peanut butter consistancy, although I do not notice anything resembling undigested food. When I throw up in the morning however, I do typically have pieces of undigested food that I had the day before... I have been trying to make sure I do not go to sleep for a whileafter I eat, but have not been as persistant about it. After I eat dinner at night, I usualyget very VERY tired...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. What should I push for my doctor to do next?

Thanks in advance,

-Jeremy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2007, 02:48 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

B143C HB User
Re: Very Confuzzled...

I'm not sure what the test really consists of, but I've heard some folks on the board talk about a gastric emptying study to see how long it takes your food to be digested. Perhaps that might be helpful. I think it may be similar to the HIDA scan but not certain. I believe they give you a radio active egg ( it won't hurt you) and then watch on a special screen that picks up radio acive material and see how long it takes it to digest and your stomach to empty. Stress can also be a major factor in making any condition worse.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:49 PM   #3
(male)

jeremiabullfrog HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by B143C View Post
I'm not sure what the test really consists of, but I've heard some folks on the board talk about a gastric emptying study to see how long it takes your food to be digested. Perhaps that might be helpful. I think it may be similar to the HIDA scan but not certain. I believe they give you a radio active egg ( it won't hurt you) and then watch on a special screen that picks up radio acive material and see how long it takes it to digest and your stomach to empty. Stress can also be a major factor in making any condition worse.
Thank you forthe input! I really do appreciate it. I will bring it up with my Phisycian next time I go in. Iwill admit thatI do have a few stresses in life. I have 3 prjects at workthat aredue by January 1 of next year, and I amjust finishing the 1st one. I was wondering... I busted up my mouth something fierce when I was 14. I basically had to have my jaw wired as a result, and emergency surgery on mytwofront teeth to keepthem in my head. (I was running up the stairs to our apartment building [concrete], slipped and fell and basically "bit" the corner of the stair..) I brush my teeth, but am very light on the toothpaste due to the gag-initiating taste it leaves in the back of my throat.. I'd be lying if I said I took good care of my teeth. I have afew cavaties, and I amwondering if maybe decay of my teeth could be contributing to all of this?

Any thoughts or opinions?

Thanks again

-Jeremy

Old 11-05-2007, 05:49 AM   #4
(male)

jeremiabullfrog HB User
Thumbs down Re: Very Confuzzled...

Nothing? No one?

I'm really getting frustrated with all of this.. I don't know enough about any of this to tell my physician what I do/don't want done, nor do I have the time to take off of work to try everything.. I am trying to research to narrow things down, but the symptoms seem to be the same from IBS all the way to stomach cancer.. Not very easy to narrow down..

-Jeremy

Old 11-05-2007, 07:12 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User

Were you tested for the H. Pylori bacteria with your endoscopy? As it can be the cause of ulcers. Also, with vomiting green bile, have you had your gallbladder checked ie. ultrasound, hida scan? And like the other person mentioned a gastric emptying scan would be another.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:57 PM   #6
(male)

jeremiabullfrog HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond79 View Post
Were you tested for the H. Pylori bacteria with your endoscopy? As it can be the cause of ulcers. Also, with vomiting green bile, have you had your gallbladder checked ie. ultrasound, hida scan? And like the other person mentioned a gastric emptying scan would be another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiabullfrog View Post
...The UE confirmed that I have "a small cluster of ulcers around the base of my esophagus" ? I am not very literate in medically related things, this is the explanation givent to me after the UE was done. I have also had ultrasounds done on my gallbladder, kidneys, and I think my liver which all came back normal.....
I don't believe that I have had a "hida scan" performed, and no I do not believe that I have been tested for H. Pylori, although I did have bloodwork done when I first started seeing my physician (last year about this time..). Is it possible he could have tested me, and not told me the result? He is not know for his bedside manner, I can tell you that much. So I would not put it past him to test for things, and not tell me, if the results returned back to him were negative. I would love to try this "gastric emptying" but I don't have the time off of work to accomodate it, until the new year.

Thank you for your reply - Jeremy

Closed Thread