It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2007, 01:33 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

B143C HB User
Do You Feel Anything During An Endoscopy?

Hi guys. I have to go have an endoscopy tomorrow. Do you feel anything during the test? I am also a bit nervous about how the meds will make me feel. Is it a scary feeling like you are out of it or is it just a sleepy feeling?

Thanks so much guys!

Old 11-01-2007, 01:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User
Re: Do You Feel Anything During An Endoscopy?

I've had several colonoscopies and had two types of sedation. One I had in the hospital setting, where I was asleep completely for the duration. I think they used Demerol plus another drug to put me out. The others have been in the doctor's office in their "Scope Suite" (which really means the doc makes more $$) and here they do a Twi-light sedation, because there isn't another doctor present, only nurses and other staff. Usually this goes fine and it doesn't hurt at all. You just are very groggy and probably won't remember much or maybe none of the procedure.

I hope this puts your mind at ease. The worse part is the preparation the night before.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2007, 02:11 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

B143C HB User

Thanks, Director. That makes me feel better. I am having it done at the hospital, but I they said it was a mild sedative, he said it wore off in about an hour . . . so I'm not sure if it is totally being asleep or "twi-light" sleep. I'm hoping for the "twi-light sleep." It sounds less complicated.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

I'm sorry, I just noticed you're having an endoscopy, not colonoscopy. I've had several of those too and the sedation is the same. Usually, some Valium and like I said earlier, most likely mixed with Demerol.

Good luck and I hope you get a good report back. Do you have Acid Reflux?

Old 11-01-2007, 02:52 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

B143C HB User

Not that I'm aware of. I do get symptoms of it though and many times have food that comes back up. Thank you for the well wishes. =) They mean a lot to me. Thank for all your help.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:43 PM   #6
(female)

Texas Tomato HB User

I had both endoscopy and colonoscopy done about three weeks ago and have no memory of it. When I came to, it felt like I'd had a nice nap. My throat was just a little sore for a couple days. I was only slightly groggy. You should get someone to drive you home. Don't drive yourself. Hope everything goes well for you.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:56 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User

I had Demerol and Valium and was awake the whole time...but had a woozy/sleepy/stare at the wall feeling )
As for the actual procedure, I was told to swallow while they inserted the scope past my throat and when the scope is in your stomach it feels like that nervous butterflies feeling (the way I would describe it) but nothing painful at all.
Good luck, take deep breaths and you will do just fine!

Old 11-01-2007, 06:09 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

B143C HB User

Thanks so much guys. I just keep trying to remind myself that everything will be ok. The procedure itself doesn't scare me as much as the medicine. Mostly, because I am allergic to some pain meds. Thanks again for all your help guys. =)

Old 11-02-2007, 02:10 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Just want to wish you well and hope it was over fast x (My turn soon )

Old 11-04-2007, 02:00 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

B143C HB User

The endoscopy went by perfectly. Didn't even know I had fallen asleep! It wasn't painful and te medicine is very relaxing - not any kind of scary feelings.

I am having a bit of twinges of pain after - I think it's from the biopsy. Wonder if that's normal?

Old 11-04-2007, 06:44 PM   #11
(female)

Texas Tomato HB User

Yay for you!

Yep, I had a sore throat for a couple days afterward. I'm sure that's normal and will go away soon.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:15 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Im so pleased for you x that has reassured me!! I was panicing thinking the med would make me feel awful and l would panic whikle they were doing it! Its sure is a relief to hear it makes you feel relaxed not freaked out! Still hoping my stomach will settle down over next few weeks and l wont need one (l wish! lol) Had my last PPi yesterday fingers crossed!! Hope all works out for you good luck

Closed Thread