It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2007, 02:49 PM   #1
(female)

dreamingdenali HB User
Help, please!!

Over the last two weeks I have experienced some of the most continuous and intense stomach problems of my life. I would really like to get some feedback/help before I go to the gastroenterologist next week.

I have had some kind of stomach thing going on for years. I initially was told it was IBS, but the doctor didn't ask a lot of questions and kind of just hustled me out of his office with that diagnosis. I have never had any real change in bowel movements, no diarrhea or constipation. Despite my stomach issues, I am pretty regular.

Lately though, almost everything I eat makes me nauseous, except for chicken soup. I have absolutely no appetite or desire to eat anything or drink anything. If I do eat, I have to eat so slowly that it becomes annoying and not worth the effort. After a few bites, I am full and feeling sick again. Last night, I made the idiotic mistake of eating Chinese food and was up all night, bloated, with cramps, nauseous and everything. I don't throw up and haven't throughout this, but burp excessively.

This has become an absolutely horrible thing to deal with. I am really high strung and there is a lot going on in my life right now (brother got arrested, parents might be separating/divorcing, stressful/high responsibility job, etc) but this needs to stop. Any ideas what it might be? I'm 23 years old, I don't smoke, I exercise regularly, I take vitamin supplements and 2 fiber pills a day. I eat healthily. I am becoming so depressed about this situation. Thus far, ginger tea and not eating seem to be the only two things that help, with Maalox and Tums helping every so often. I am also taking Nexium, 40mg per day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2007, 08:14 PM   #2
(male)

wetanut88 HB User
Re: Help, please!!

Well I'm no expert, but I can relate a little about feeling nauseous after eating and having to eat slowly because that's been happening to me for a little over a year now and has progressively gotten worse. Doctor linked it to anxiety, and I'm starting to think maybe from all the stressful situations you're going through it might have triggered this and now your brain is reacting to the stress.

Like I said, I'm no expert, but I have been improving ever so slightly by doing less stressful things and worrying less about things. Try getting a massage or go to a chiropractor. Get some relief from all the stress you're going through and relax a bit. It's working for me, and who knows, maybe it'll work for you?

Hope this helps any.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:17 PM   #3
(female)

suzie74 HB User

Hello, you are not alone! I have posted under different boards because I think I have a few things that all went wrong at once. It all started with bronchitis in July, 2 weeks later I ended up with what I believe was the stomach flu which seems like it has not gone away completely despite being on antibiotics twice. I think allergies led to the bronchitis and when I was down I ended up with the flu. At this point I had this horrible burning in my chest, I thought I had bronchitis again. I went to the ER they told me anxiety. I went to the DR he told me anxiety. I went to the ER again they told me anxiety. I went to an ENT he told me sinus and allergies and sent me on my way with meds. This was all in a matter of a month and this really took a toll on me because I have never really been sick in all of my 33 years. I exercise everyday and eat right but this totally wiped me out and I lost 12 lbs. After reading through thousands of posts, talking to others that I know personally, and a multitude of blood tests (I did find out that I am anemic and have been on an iron supplement) and a holter monitor (I had pvc's as well, read by a cardiologist he said I was fine, now I know that anemia causes palpitations). As for this mysterious burning chest that made me sick to my stomach and caused me to lose weight fast---acid reflux. I have been taking enzymes which have helped and I am going to start on some probiotics as well. I also have gained 5 lbs back. I am not sure if this would work for everyone but it has helped me. Don't worry you have come to the right place there are many people on here with the same problems that can offer support and information.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:30 PM   #4
(female)

Texas Tomato HB User

To the OP: I hope you get your problems resolved soon. Stress always exacerbates everything, doesn't it? Sounds like you are doing a lot of constructive things to improve your health. Do pursue it with the GI doctor and insist on treatment. Maybe also get some short-term counseling and/or antidepressants to help you cope with the family stuff. Also like wetanut said, massage helps.

Suzie -- just wanted to mention that I'm convinced my stomach problems were actually CAUSED by a course of antibiotics. You're on the right track with the probiotics. Wish I'd known about all that bacterial imbalance stuff before my sinus infection. I never used to pay attention to those dumb yogurt commercials before! Now I understand what they're talking about.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:04 PM   #5
(female)

suzie74 HB User

Texastomato
I have never thought that antibiotics could cause such problems until I started researching it. I always thought well the doctor prescribes it and it is suppose to help you so how can it make you feel more ill? Now I am reading about these natural supplements like enzymes and probiotics that have helped people better than a prescribed medication. The enzymes have helped and I figure that the probiotics can only help more. I have to laugh about the yogurt commercials up until 2 months ago I never gave those any thought. I am starting to think that maybe it was a sign! lol

Closed Thread