It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2007, 06:42 PM   #1
(female)

FarmGirl31 HB UserFarmGirl31 HB User
Stomach spasms?

Does anyone else ever feel like their stomach is spasming? Like the insides... stomach, maybe even intestines...? I have Gastroparesis and also GERD, but sometimes when i eat or drink, my whole gut just BALLOONS... feels just like a large balloon has inflated inside my stomach and i can hardly breathe. It is very very scary!! Such trouble breathing... and i was thinking about it and wondering if its my stomach actaully spasming, that is causing the scary sensations of not being able to get in enough air, that my lungs cannot expand very fully at all....

Does anyone else have any symptoms resembling this? The only thing so far that has helped when these frightening "episodes" come on is taking a mild tranquilizer. It relaxes me and also I guess, relaxes my stomach and insides... then i can breathe better... and of course the accompanying fear and panic goes away too, becasue it is so scary to have trouble breathing....

I am seeing my gastro doc on Monday... and i dont make a doc appointment unless im truly suffering, so u have an idea how bad this thing is bothering me. I look 9 months pregnant when it happens and even a lot of other times too. I was very afraid that the bloating inside was so bad that i woudlnt be able to get a breathe at all.

Any help, suggestions?? Can the stomach go into spasms like I think may be happening during my attacks?

Thanks,

FG

Old 05-20-2008, 08:54 AM   #2
(female)

Deb1973 HB User
Re: Stomach spasms?

It seems this message may be old, but I'll reply to it any way. Last summer, 2007, I had a very similar episode, ended up in the ER. Turned out I was depleted of potassium. I also had high triglycerides. The ER doctor put me on potassium pills, Folic acid, and a specially formulated B12 and B6 combo. You might try drinking a glass of orange juice or eating a banana and see if that gives you any relief.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2008, 02:09 PM   #3
(female)

FarmGirl31 HB UserFarmGirl31 HB User

Hi Deb!

Thank u for your response!! Wow, how did they make the connection between your symptoms and your having low potassium and other things?? I am surprised they figured it out and didnt just tell u it was all in your head!

What causes the potassium to drop like that? I DO have that problem actually....especially that time of month, seems to just plummet... and i try to eat foods richer in potassium at that time but dont always or at least not enough....

I am seeing a holistic doctor now and he has me taking B6 that contains Potassium in it also.... its too early to know if its helping but my stomach issue has improved over a period of months due to me quitting beer drinking/alcohol, juicing with a juicer (mostly carrots), digestive enzymes, apple cider vinegar, no fast food or junk, drinking more water (flushes out acid I think and also keeps stomach full so it doesnt then fill with air and cause great discomfort) and losing a lot of weight.

Stomach issue isnt perfect though and i am frustrated and seeing a digestive doctor (new one) next month. But i am a lot better than i was...

Thank u for caring to post your response!! We were born in the same year, too

Peace,

FarmGirl

Old 05-21-2008, 08:12 AM   #4
(female)

Deb1973 HB User

Hi Farm Girl,

Sounds like your holistic doctor has you on the right track. Potassium can be depleted by a number of things, (I researched it on the Net after my episode). Some of them are: Some allergy meds., alcohol, and laxatives. At that time, I didn't have a source of potassium at all. Bananas used to upset my stomach. Now I'm taking 2 magnesium pills at night and a lot of my gastric problems have subsided, thankfully!

Closed Thread