It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2007, 11:12 AM   #1
(male)

Gar2007 HB User
Hidden Gallstones on Ultrasound

What are the chances of this happening? I have felt sick for a while, I just hope they are not hidden. If they are, then I can assume an inflamed pancreas caused by something unkown. Has anyone ever had hidden gallstones that didnt show up on ultrasound?

Old 11-10-2007, 11:21 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Hidden Gallstones on Ultrasound

Have you had an ultrasoud yet? They should show up on that. If nothing shows up, it could be a low functioning gb and a HIDA scan would be done to determine that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2007, 11:33 AM   #3
(male)

Gar2007 HB User

Yes I have and they said no inflammation and no stones. My doc did not mention the HIDA scan he only mentioned possible gallstones. Im just frustrated with all of these tests and want to get better.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:09 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I'd ask him about the HIDA Scan. If the ejection rate (for the bile) is below 35%, they recommend removing the gb. Are you right side rib cage pain, nausea, etc?

Old 11-10-2007, 01:34 PM   #5
(male)

Gar2007 HB User

No pain just loss of appetite and nausea. The only thing that showed was in my blood work, my pancreas is slightly inflamed. I remember asking my doc about the gallbladder functioning and they said I would more than likely have pain. I will ask again anyway.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:35 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenn4508 HB UserJenn4508 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gar2007 View Post
What are the chances of this happening? I have felt sick for a while, I just hope they are not hidden. If they are, then I can assume an inflamed pancreas caused by something unkown. Has anyone ever had hidden gallstones that didnt show up on ultrasound?
I will tell you I had an ultrasound and so many other test that I don't even remember what they were called. Then they did some type of test where they shot dye in me, I laid on a table and they watched it for over an hour. Maybe one of you all know what that is called. There was a very small gallstone but the real problem was that my gallbladder was functioning at 0%. So out it came. That was after 6 months of terrible pain.

Good Luck, my friend. Jenn

Old 11-10-2007, 03:57 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

That's the HIDA Scan....

Old 11-11-2007, 05:47 PM   #8
(male)

Collector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB User

There are apparently several different types of stones, some are easier to see on an ultrasound than others. More likely, is the possibility of "sludge", ie, smaller sized material that can impact the emptying of the gallbladder. In my case all the could see was one .5cm polyp or stone, however, I flunked the HIDA at 23%.

As others have mentioned the HIDA scan would be a more definitive test for gallbladder function. If it's not stone or sludge it can also be inflammation of the gallbladder.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:26 PM   #9
(male)

Gar2007 HB User

I saw my GI today. He is pretty convinced it is my gallbladder. My sonogram was clear, only showed a small polyp. He ordered a HIDA/CCK scan for tomorrow morning and I see him the day after for the results. If I eat the smallest thing it gives me nausea. If I need surgery, I hope I can have it before thanksgiving.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:00 PM   #10
(male)

Gar2007 HB User

Had my HIDA scan today. It was ok, the tech wasnt very friendly. She told me that HIDA scans never show hidden stones, although I've heard otherwise and I wasnt in the mood to argue with her lol. I really hope they find the cause for my nausea. I really hope this is the last test! Not sure what would be next if this is clear.

Closed Thread