It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2007, 08:11 PM   #1
(female)

dreamingdenali HB User
Acid Rebound / Coming off Nexium

I need some advice/suggestions/help. Desperately.

I stopped taking Nexium 9-10 days ago. I had been taking it for 6 months, and before that, Protonix. I got kind of sick and started feeling like food was just sitting in my stomach for too long, so I stopped cold turkey, not knowing that you are supposed to taper off.

So I decided to stay off it. It's been over a week, and I am feeling HORRIBLE. I can hardly eat anything but yogurt, bananas and popcorn without feeling miserably ill, with absurd indigestion, acid reflux, and endless nausea. I also can't stop burping. I have so much gas in my stomach, I try to burp to relieve the pressure. I'm also EXHAUSTED. So tired and maybe it is just from feeling sick all day when I eat something wrong.

Anyway I guess this is pretty common after long-term PPI therapy. But does anyone have any suggestions? How long does this horrible feeling last? I do NOT want to go back on Nexium, but is this going to go away??

Last edited by dreamingdenali; 11-10-2007 at 08:12 PM.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:22 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

lefta HB Userlefta HB User
Re: Acid Rebound / Coming off Nexium

Have you tried taking something more as needed like Pepsid Total or another H2 antagonist?

I was on PPIs for 10 years and didn't have anywhere close to the trouble you're having when I gave them up (cold turkey as well) but there are times when I took things on demand just to get through the rough patches. Sometimes you have to do something.

For me, after several weeks of horrible reflux a while back, I started eating better and taking betaine HCl and digestive enzymes. My reflux has totally disappeared and it's been a month since I even had to think about taking something.

My thought is that most GERD sufferers suffer from dysfunctional digestion and if we do things that promote healthy digestion the GERD will go away. I seriously doubt that's the case for everyone, but many of us originally went to the doctor just complaining of heartburn and walked away with what amounts to a lifetime perscription for PPIs. That was the wrong solution. It sent me on a downward spiral health-wise that I'm still trying to recover from.

Look into aloe vera juice, DGL and plant based digestive enzymes for starters. Those things have helped me along with Betaine HCl.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2007, 07:29 AM   #3
(female)

dreamingdenali HB User

Hey there,

Apparently the rebound doesn't happen to everyone. There's almost no information online about it. I've been using digestive enzymes, drinking aloe vera juice and drinking kefir for breakfast every day (probiotics). That seems to help but I am still feeling massive amounts of stomach acid and burning. I feel like I am choking on stomach acid. Last night I ate some steak and had a glass of wine (yes, not the greatest decisionmaking) and I basically had to sit still for hours so I didn't puke.

I've heard of other people having trouble. What I hate is that they just hand you this stuff, the PPIs I mean, and don't give you any information. I never knew there was a withdrawal effect, or that they were screwing up my body so much. The same thing happened with Paxil (antidepressant). I just stopped taking it and got SO SICK because no one ever told me otherwise. You just get a "here this will help you" with no other information.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:16 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Sounds like you are doing some good stuff already. There's definitely hope. I didn't have the rebound like you but several weeks ago when I was having some real problems I was having acid reflux after every meal (even if I only had a piece of fruit or a salad) and woke up with it at night and in the mornings as well. It's hard to believe that I went from that to my current condition in a matter of weeks. Now, when I do cheat once a week and eat pizza or something like that I have no heartburn.

I'd take the on demand stuff antacid/acid reducers when you have to and avoid things that are hard to digest (like steak, as you found out the hard way ). I've found apples to be very good and I eat them as an after dinner snack. That seems to help (although I'm pretty damn sick of apples at this point!).

It's true that you need acid to digest things properly but the digestive enzymes will help you break things down (to an extent at least) if you are forced to take an acid reducer. It's a good idea to take a B-Complex and a calcium/magnesium supplement at least when you are taking antacids, especially when you may have been deprived of these things while on PPIs.

Not sure how long you were on PPIs but that could have very well caused you to have intestinal dysbiosis and malabsorption like I have. PPIs can lead to vitamin and mineral deficiencies and I have definitely suffered from this. I'm working on the whole intestinal tract in general and have seen results. But it's going to take a long time for me to get to 100% (It took me a lifetime to get into this position!). I'm going to keep up what I'm doing for a year at least. And then I certainly won't go back to my old ways.

The things I use for healing are:
Aloe Vera juice
L-Glutamine
DGL
Colostrum
Slippery Elm

Also on a high fiber diet and taking fiber supplements. My intestinal motility was horrible until I did these things.

Hard to tell which of those things are most important or have worked the most for me but the combination has worked along with eating better. It's amazing to me that someone who was on PPIs for a decade (and I even had heartburn on PPIs at times) can totally eliminate the reflux by doing the above and eating better. That proved to me that it's not just some stomach defect that I have that caused GERD. My condition was self inflicted.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:21 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Out of curiosity, how long were you on PPIs and how long ago did you find the need to go on anti-depressants?

I hope there will be more studies to come on the long term effects of PPIs. I have read that some are underway. I suspect that the incidence of depression and a lot of other conditions is much higher for people on PPIs.

I think the University of Penn study which found that people over 50 were 2.6 times more likely to break a hip while on PPIs is a canary in a coal mine of sorts. It's also not surprising that people on PPIs have a higher incidence of phnemonia. More bad news to come I am sure.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:21 AM   #6
(female)

dreamingdenali HB User

Thanks so much for all of the information. I also am a big fan of apples -- I eat a ton of unsweetened apple sauce. Activia (the probiotic yogurt) works well too for digestion. I have a cal-mag supplement too, though I probably don't take it as often as I should.

Another thing you might want to try is ginger tea. This is probably the best and most common thing I do -- I drink a cup at least after every dinner. It really helps quell the nausea and gurgling I get after I eat.

Thanks again

Old 11-11-2007, 08:39 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Thanks. I'll give ginger tea a try. Still trying to find a replacement for coffee .

I forgot to mention that I've also been doing yogurt and Kefir as well along with other probiotics. The yogurt and kefir took some getting used to for me but I work it in every day.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:44 AM   #8
(female)

dreamingdenali HB User

It's strange to me that Americans aren't such fans of kefir. It's so common almost everywhere else in the world.

I was never big into coffee. Once a week or less I will have a cup just to make sure I can handle it, but I was always into tea. Look into Earl Grey or English/Irish Breakfast teas. They're really strong and robust but not as painful to digest as coffee. Herbal teas are quite possibly the best things ever for an upset stomach...there are sooo many herbs that help digestion and nausea...licorice, fennel, chamomile, ginger, lemon and so many more.

Good luck to you

Closed Thread