It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2007, 04:34 PM   #1
(female)

meljo54 HB User
what causes regurgitation in the night

what causes acidic regurgitation in the night?

Old 11-18-2007, 04:02 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

lefta HB Userlefta HB User
Re: what causes regurgitation in the night

The same thing that would normally cause acid reflux during the day, but your horizontal position makes matters worse.

Are you eating close to bed time?
Do you have any other digestive problems?

Try to avoid eating within a couple hours of bed time. Also, sleep on your left side as much as possible. The supine position is the worst for acid reflux, so try to avoid that.

You might try plant based digestive enzymes with dinner as well just in case you are not breaking down food as well as you should. Some people find that digestive enzymes really reduces or eliminates acid reflux. It helps me.

Last edited by lefta; 11-18-2007 at 04:02 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2007, 08:58 PM   #3
(male)

Collector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB User

Obesity plays a role in many cases; folks find that when they lose weight frequently the number of reflux episodes will decrease. Losing weight has helped cut down on the number of episodes that I have had.

In addition to what was mentioned below by Lenny sometimes elevating the head of the bed will help; also using more pillows.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:18 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User

I lost 4 stone (56lbs) mainly because i was being woken up most nights choking on acid in my throat, it was scary and i really thought i would inhale this stuff and die!!

So i dieted lost the weight and the only time i ever get it now which is really rarely is if i eat too much too close to bedtime. For me it was DEFINETELY a weight thing, my gastroenterologists told me its 99% weight, pushing on the top end of the stomach forcing food to be regurgitated.

I dont know how big you are but if your overweight lose weight it will make a major difference to you i promise.

Last edited by Worrybucket; 11-19-2007 at 04:19 AM.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:03 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi Leny,

Quote:
You might try plant based digestive enzymes with dinner as well just in case you are not breaking down food as well as you should. Some people find that digestive enzymes really reduces or eliminates acid reflux. It helps me
What are those? And is there anything else that might help? I am new to this. I can't sleep. I lie in bed waiting to start drowning/choking. And I always do. When it happens, I jump out of bed. It makes me instantly better and helps to stop choking. It's gotten so that I put off going to bed. I have been thinking of just staying awake all night. My beta blockers and two diuretics keep me awake anyway with insomnia and frequent trips to the bathroom.
Whatever it is, it's quite awful. I know about the raised mattress and multiple pillows. That's the only advice my GP gave me. I hope my internist will be more help. The only problem is I have to wait at least a month to see him.

Gar suggested aloe vera with psyllium. I am going to try that and hope for best. What are those enzymes and what do they do?

flowergirl

Old 11-19-2007, 11:17 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Worry,

Quote:
lost 4 stone (56lbs) mainly because i was being woken up most nights choking on acid in my throat, it was scary and i really thought i would inhale this stuff and die!!
that's my thinking exactly! I had severe shortness of breath for months and that was bad enough! When I start choking, I can't breathe. I worry I won't stop choking.
I could use to lose some weight, especially around the middle. I have not been able to, and not for lack of trying. Several of my medications cause weight gain. I have maintained my weight which I see as an accomplishment.

flowergirl

Old 11-20-2007, 03:38 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User

Flower,

Acid reflux is worse if you are bigger in the middle part of your body. Is there any way you could see a nutritionist and ask them for specific help for that area. Seriously if you could get the pressure off of your hiatus area which is directly in the middle of both of your ribs each side, at the very top of your tummy it will help enormously. Im proof it helped me.

good luck, as its very scary, and long term it can erode that area of your tummy which isnt helpful at all.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:43 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Hi flowergirl2day,

Some of us don't digest food very well and digestive enzymes can help compensate for that. They are live enzymes that break down food. I use one called Digest Gold, but there are others. The plant based ones are generally considered to be the best.

There are other things you can try, but it really depends what's going on with you. Most of us who have suffered want to find some magic remedy but, IMO, most of us suffer from acid reflux due to a poor diet and the resulting dysfunctional digestive tract. Trying to do things that will compensate for those things most likely will not eliminate the problem. There's a big reason things like GERD and IBS are so rampant today. And it ain't because we have faulty esophageal sphincters and suffer from stress! It's because our eating habits don't support healthy digestion and a healthy digestive tract. Our ancestors ate lots of fruit and raw veggies, etc, which contained enzymes and bacteria and the things needed to maintain healthy digestion. The modern diet is quite a departure from that.

Some people do have a specific medical problem but I'm convinced that that is not the case for most people. I battled GERD for 10 years and it went away as soon as I changed my diet and started drinking less alcohol. I now require no medication of any kind for heartburn.

Aloe vera can help and there are other things that can help you heal/soothe your digestive tract like DGL and slippery elm. Colostrum is also very good for this. But those things should be done in conjunction with a diet that's high in fiber and low in the stuff we all know is bad for us. That means cutting out sugar and processed foods. Fiber supplements after meals are also helpful.

If you really want to try something, try a colon cleanse (which in large part would be the psyllium husk you mentioned above) and a diet high in fiber. Eat things like apples and bananas for breakfast and mostly salads, vegetables and whole grain rice for lunch and dinner (with only modest amounts of meat) to see if your reflux improves. Also, complex carbs only. Limit any junk. You would need to do this for several weeks, most likely.

This is definitely not the answer most people want to hear, but there's no magic pill. And PPIs are definitely not the answer for most of us. They lead me down a slippery slope to a very unhealthy place.

If your diet is already very healthy than maybe you do have some other problem.

Things like antacids, PPIs, sleeping on an incline, etc, do not attack the root cause. They are just band aids.

Last edited by lefta; 11-20-2007 at 09:46 AM.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:21 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leny,

thank you so much for your informative post! The wealth of information on these boards gained through personal experiences never ceases to amaze me. Thanks so much for sharing.
My problems started with a severe hypertension which went uncontrolled and undetected for years. It caused damage to my organs. Things finally seem to be under control. The GI problems are new. A few of the meds I am on have GI side effects. No detailed information as to which ones is provided. I wonder if my medications are causing my current problems. My GERD or whatever it is is getting worse.

I have been on the healthiest of diets since my diagnosis in December of last year. I eat nothing but fruits, veggies, nuts and grains. Very little meat, hardly any eggs or animal fats. I am on a low sodium, low fat, low sugar diet. Had consultations with a dietitian and a nutritionist. Cannot make many improvements to my diet unless I stop eating. As you mention, there's no magic bulllet. These problems most likely will not go away. I've lived with many side effects of my meds, so this is just one more, I guess. I just hope it does not get much worse. Still much better though than not being able to breathe.

Thank you for your advice. It's much appreciated!

flowergirl

Old 11-20-2007, 07:25 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leny,

thank you so much for your informative post! The wealth of information on these boards gained through personal experiences never ceases to amaze me. Thanks so much for sharing.
My problems started with a severe hypertension which had gone uncontrolled and undetected for years. It caused damage to my organs. Things finally seem to be under control. The GI problems are new. A few of the meds I am on have GI side effects. No detailed information as to which ones is provided. I wonder if my medications are causing my current problems. My GERD or whatever it is is getting worse.

I have been on the healthiest of diets since my diagnosis in December of last year. I eat nothing but fruits, veggies, nuts and grains. Very little meat, hardly any eggs or animal fats. I am on a low sodium, low fat, low sugar diet. Had consultations with a dietitian and a nutritionist. Cannot make many improvements to my diet unless I stop eating. As you mention, there's no magic bulllet. These problems most likely will not go away. I've lived with many side effects of my meds, so this is just one more, I guess. I just hope it does not get much worse. Still much better though than not being able to breathe. I should add I've just turned 49.

Thank you for your advice. It's much appreciated!

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 11-20-2007 at 07:26 PM.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:43 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worry,

I am not very fat. Just have a spare tire around the middle, like so many of us. I eat a lot of fruit & veggies and have wondered if one gets fat from the sugars/starches contained within. You'd think eating what I do -a very healthy diet - I would have lost some weight at least. Not so. I also get peripheral edema from medication. Luckily, this does not happen very often. When it does, I can gain 20 pounds or more overnight. I believe some of the fluid stays behind and adds to my weight/volume. I don't weigh myself. There's no point. I could stop eating bread and perhaps lose a bit of weight. Except bread is the one thing I can still eat and enjoy. So I don't want to.

Now that I can breathe again I can resume exercising. My girlfriend brought me instructions for stomach-toning exercises from her physical therapist. I will do those.

flowergirl

Old 11-21-2007, 05:59 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Good for you on the diet, flowergirl!

Sorry to hear about what you've been through. It's been tough I'm sure.

I would definitely seek out and try the digestive enzymes! If your body is not breaking down food sufficiently than these enzymes can help.

I'd add some fiber supplements just to see what happens, but it sounds like you get a good amount of fiber through your diet.

Anything that's shown to help increase motility would be a good thing, so I would try the aloe vera juice. It's been shown to increase motility and it's also anti-pathogenic.

There are thing you can do for organ support, like milk thistle for liver support. I would talk to your doctor first since you might have some organ weakness but some support through supplements might be helpful.

Good luck!

Old 11-21-2007, 06:03 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you for your advice and support, Lenny!

The best thing to do in order to give the liver, kidneys and stomach a break would be to stop taking the meds. I will continue taking the supplements. The ones I am on were approved by the doc as well as a nutritionist. They have helped me a lot. I have to be careful about the use of herbal products due to a possible interaction with my meds.

Closed Thread