It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2007, 02:14 AM   #1
(male)

xavier82 HB User
Food Getting Stuck

Hi,

I have had a problem since I was a little boy. During eating, which I do slowly and I do chew well, food will often get stuck in my throat. A small sip of liquid/water will often wash it down and allow me to continue. However, sometimes it does not and I have to get sick. Very irritating, especially if you out having a meal with others, and you have to rush to the bathroom.

What happens, is the food feels like it is stuck in the throat, and then if I eat some more or drink some liquid, it either washes it down OR it gets stuck on top. If gets stuck on top I need to go to bathroom and the quickest way to clear it is to stick my finger down my throat. I never vomit stomache acids but just saliva and a few pieces of my food.

Has anyone else ever had this or do you know what it is and how it can be resolved. It has been going on for 15 years now. Happens more so with tough foods like steak, & not so much with liquid foods.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User
Re: Food Getting Stuck

You might have a Motility problem with your esophagus. I went thru the same problems for years until I could not even get water down. You might have to have a endoscopy done. The motility in your esophagus is the muscles contracting to push the food down, when they don't work, you will get the food stuck. The endoscopy is when they put the tube down your throat to see what the problem is. It does not hurt, most of the time they put you out and you don't even know what has happened, you won't feel a thing. I have had several done, both awake and asleep. They usually want you awake to see if there is motility, that is so when they tell you to swallow you will swallow. I cannot eat meat or anything solid, sometimes bread will also give me a problem.

Hope this has been of some help.......

Sunny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2007, 08:28 AM   #3
(male)

xavier82 HB User

Thanks for reply Sunny. It sounds like this could be the issue. May I ask was it mainly with whole foods that this happened?

To name a few, it will happen very often when eating Steak [i avoid this now], then most often with chicken, turkey, breads. It will sometimes happen with fruit such as an apple.

If it is what you mentioned, what is the cure for it?

Old 11-19-2007, 12:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, If ther esophagus has no motility, there is no cure, but, it may be that you just need a dialation of the esophagus. You need to see a gastroenterologist.

As far as what I east, yes, it mostly happens with meat such as steak or a hamburger, I can eat ground up hamburger, like a taco, and yes, chicken and turkey as well are problems.

I have been like this since 1981, believe me, I get very sick of it. I also on occasion have had to go to the ER because something got stuck and it just would not come out. I also so the run to the bathroom and stick my finger down my throat, that doesn't always work. It is quite embarrasing to say nothing of the pain involved.

Sunny

Old 11-19-2007, 12:52 PM   #5
(male)

xavier82 HB User

Hmm, sounds just like my issue! Only difference is that I was born in 1982 so the start date was a little later.

Thanks for the help. I will go to a local that can check it out for me and see if I have motility . . .

Last edited by xavier82; 11-19-2007 at 02:22 PM.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Good luck with this, it took me 2 years to get a doctor to tell me what was wrong. You now know some of the basics, so ask for a endoscopy and use that word motility like you know what your talking about. Let me know how you are doing...

Sunny

Closed Thread