It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2007, 10:57 AM   #1
(female)

Millstein HB User
Cure For All Intestional Problems

I suffered from IBS for almost 10 years. The only thing that got me on the road to recovery was raw goat's milk. I was always a big milk drinker and I just never realized how toxic the milk in the stores was. When I stopped drinking the toxic store milk and started drinking the raw goat's milk, within about 2 weeks my stomach finally started feeling better and less bloated. Getting raw goat milk is not easy, but there are goat dairies in many places. I have to drive about 3 hours to the nearest dairy to my home. I usually get about 8 gallons and freeze them - then thaw them as needed. Kefir is also very good for digestive problems, but I wasn't too good at making it. It's available at health stores though, but I'm sure homemade is the best. I also take Primal Defense, which has also been very helpful.

For more information on digestive problems and how to cure them, read THE MAKER'S DIET by Jordan Rubin.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:26 PM   #2
(female)

Pebkac HB User
Re: Cure For All Intestional Problems

Interesting. An acid environment does tend to prevent fermentation or bacterial growth outside of the stomach. Is it reasonable to conclude that eating acidic foods would help prevent fermentation and gas?

I think I'll do an experiment. I've always liked various vinegars and other acidy foods, and I can't say they have disagreed with me. I recently started adding lemon juice to my green tea because it's supposed to make the antioxidants more bioavailable. I've had much less gas since my surgery, say down to maybe a third of what it was, so hooray for that. Maybe keeping an eye on regular consumption of acidic foods will help too. I wonder what others have experienced with acid foods.

Have to say I always had a cast iron gut and I want it back!

Last edited by moderator2; 11-27-2007 at 03:46 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2007, 07:10 PM   #3
(female)

mizzaj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebkac View Post
Interesting. An acid environment does tend to prevent fermentation or bacterial growth outside of the stomach. Is it reasonable to conclude that eating acidic foods would help prevent fermentation and gas?

I think I'll do an experiment. I've always liked various vinegars and other acidy foods, and I can't say they have disagreed with me. I recently started adding lemon juice to my green tea because it's supposed to make the antioxidants more bioavailable. I've had much less gas since my surgery, say down to maybe a third of what it was, so hooray for that. Maybe keeping an eye on regular consumption of acidic foods will help too. I wonder what others have experienced with acid foods.

Have to say I always had a cast iron gut and I want it back!
I've heard others mention that it's a lack of stomach acid, not too much, that causes the stomach problems a lot of people suffer from. I wonder if that's why when I took a PPI, it reduced my possibly already low levels of acid to almost nothing-- making it feel like my food was stuck in my stomach.

My acupuncturist was the first person who turned me on to this theory. It seemed to make sense, and I found other articles online that also supported it. The idea that rotting, undigested food causes us to have more gas, and what feels like heartburn or acid reflux is very convincing.

At my acu doc's recommendation, I tried taking Betaine HCL capsules with meals. I would only take one. The first night I tried it, it didn't help, but didn't seem to hurt either. The second niht I tried it, it seemed to make my heartburn/reflux worse. Since then, I have not tried it. I figured if it wasn't helping, than maybe low stomach acid isn't my problem. It could be for others, but perhaps not me. I'm wondering if I have or had gastritis-- and I think extra acid would irritate my stomach lining further if that was the case. Sadly, while I felt like I could barely ingest more than a couple hundred calories at one time while on Protonix, I had no stomach pain either. When I went off of it, the stomach pain returned within a month, along with heartburn and reflux that I never had before I ever started the drug.

so now I don't know what to think. My acu doc told me to try Aloe juice to coat the mucosal lining of my stomach and make the Betaine HCL more effective. But that stuff was so nasty and seemed to hurt my stomach worse. I just don't know anymore. I think I may have gallbladder problems, so I'm not sure how much the stomach acid stuff comes into play. But I do know that I've been eating low fat, small meals since this started for me 10 months ago, and it doesn't necessarily help. But to those who are helped by taking vinegar, lemon juice, whatever, I say, keep taking it!! I wish the B HCL had worked for me......

Old 11-27-2007, 07:40 PM   #4
(female)

Pebkac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzaj View Post
Betaine HCL

The first night I tried it, it didn't help, but didn't seem to hurt either. The second niht I tried it, it seemed to make my heartburn/reflux worse. Since then, I have not tried it.
I had to look up what that is. So, it is a version of hydrocloric acid. That's interesting the first time didn't hurt you, and the second did. I find that often the amount in a supplement or medicine isn't quite right for me, and I take a half or something. Guess I'm sensitive, and in this area you are too. Maybe you should give it a try with a lesser amount or that amount less often?

The word betaine caught my eye, though, as I remember that being one of the ingredients in enzyme supplements that I once used. I did find them helpful for my then-digestive problems. Apparently it was originally from sugar beets.

That's tough if you can only eat mini-meals that a severe dieter would look at and be happy because they are fairly extreme. I sympathize.

I just want to pass on a book I've found helpful. I wonder if you've considered looking at things this way. It was called "Food, your miracle medicine" and it talks about what are the beneficial aspects of common foods, based on a lot of research studies. It's by Jean Carper. It tipped me off to quite a few helpful things. Currently, I've been eating a lot of high antioxidant fruits like pomegranate, berries and also pineapple which is supposed to be good for the liver. I feel pretty darn good, though I can't guarantee that is why. The pomegranate feels just wonderful.

Last edited by Pebkac; 11-27-2007 at 07:43 PM.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:05 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

lefta HB Userlefta HB User

Hi mizzaj,

I think it's unlikely that one betaine HCl capsule made your reflux worse. It was probably a coincidence. I've taken 10 of these with no side effects.

Make sure you take it before the meal, right when you are sitting down to eat. Definitely not during or after a meal. I'm down to 1 or 2 a meal at this point but was using 4 regularly with success. Try to follow the protocol where you increase the dosage each day, which is described at many web sites.

The same with aloe juice. Take that between meals and it should not cause reflux. I'd try the Lilly of the Desert brand if you have it locally. I find that it has a better taste than some of the others. That brand also makes something called "Stomach Formula", which includes slippery elm and some other soothing herbals. You can mix that with 2 oz of water and it includes mint in the ingredients so it doesn't taste like straight aloe vera juice. That's a nice product that I use regularly. My local Vitamin Shoppe carries it.

Have you tried digestive enzymes before? I would definitely try a good plant based digestive enzyme, like Digest Gold. If you have a problem with breaking things down in your stomach enzymes can definitely help. Take one of those at the same time as Betaine HCl.

DGL at least 20 min before meals can also help. But this, along with aloe juice, is more likely to help you in a healing capacity. There are no quick fixes for GERD.

If you really want to change this situation, you also have to make sure you are eating right. Don't drink soda and coffee (at least limit this. A cup a day rather than 10!) and junk food. Eat fruit and salads as much as possible. Reduce meat intake for a while.

These things worked for me (twice). The first time I got away from it and it came rushing back. 6 or 7 weeks ago my reflux was horrible again. Since then, I haven't even thought about taking an antacid. And I was on PPIs for 10 years!

Old 11-28-2007, 11:13 AM   #6
(female)

mizzaj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny66 View Post
Hi mizzaj,

I think it's unlikely that one betaine HCl capsule made your reflux worse. It was probably a coincidence. I've taken 10 of these with no side effects.

Make sure you take it before the meal, right when you are sitting down to eat. Definitely not during or after a meal. I'm down to 1 or 2 a meal at this point but was using 4 regularly with success. Try to follow the protocol where you increase the dosage each day, which is described at many web sites.

The same with aloe juice. Take that between meals and it should not cause reflux. I'd try the Lilly of the Desert brand if you have it locally. I find that it has a better taste than some of the others. That brand also makes something called "Stomach Formula", which includes slippery elm and some other soothing herbals. You can mix that with 2 oz of water and it includes mint in the ingredients so it doesn't taste like straight aloe vera juice. That's a nice product that I use regularly. My local Vitamin Shoppe carries it.

Have you tried digestive enzymes before? I would definitely try a good plant based digestive enzyme, like Digest Gold. If you have a problem with breaking things down in your stomach enzymes can definitely help. Take one of those at the same time as Betaine HCl.

DGL at least 20 min before meals can also help. But this, along with aloe juice, is more likely to help you in a healing capacity. There are no quick fixes for GERD.

If you really want to change this situation, you also have to make sure you are eating right. Don't drink soda and coffee (at least limit this. A cup a day rather than 10!) and junk food. Eat fruit and salads as much as possible. Reduce meat intake for a while.

These things worked for me (twice). The first time I got away from it and it came rushing back. 6 or 7 weeks ago my reflux was horrible again. Since then, I haven't even thought about taking an antacid. And I was on PPIs for 10 years!
HI Lenny,

Actually, I took the Betaine HCL a few different times, but the basic scenario that occurred each time was always the same: the first time I'd take it I'd be fine, the next time I'd take it I'd have heartburn/reflux, and then I'd stop. So I had several occurrences of it not working or causing reflux. My acu doc was puzzled by that, to be sure, but I don't believe one size fits all, so maybe it wasn't right for me? I was taking a product that she recommended by Quantum Nutrition. I also took it with an activator capsule. Perhaps that's where the problems occurred. I don't know. Do you take the Betaine HCL capsules on their own? What brand do you take?

Also, I have taken Digestive Enzymes. They seem to help a little. I'm also taking a well known herbal product from Germany called Iberogast. My GI doc had actually heard of it and used to stock it in his office. You should check it out. I think that's been helping somewhat too. It's really hard to say what helps and what doesn't. I don't drink coffee or soda. I do eat meat-- usually deli meat or grilled chicken or fish. No red meat. Is there a reason to stay away from meat? I try to eat salads as much as I can, but truthfully, I don't care much for fruit. (I drink V-8 fusion to get fruits).

GERD really isn't my problem. It's actually upper ab pain, and what feels like slow gastric emptying, or very quick feelings of fullness. Sometimes I get a squeezing in my chest under my rib cage after I've eaten. It could be gallbladder. It could be H Pylori.....I'm still trying to get it all figured out, sadly.

Thanks for your input.

Mizzaj

Old 11-28-2007, 08:23 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Quote:
An acid environment does tend to prevent fermentation or bacterial growth outside of the stomach
Something I don't understand: A pharmacist told me that supplementation with calcium citrate is necessary with long-term use of PPIs. The reason she gave for this was that an acidic environment is needed in the stomach. How does this work? Why help create an acidic environment when we take medication to REDUCE the acid production? How does it tie in with the fermentation in an acidic environment outside the stomach? It would seem that we need the stomach acid for our digestive systems to work properly.

Quote:
I recently started adding lemon juice to my green tea because it's supposed to make the antioxidants more bioavailable
I haven't heard about this. I drink a lot of green tea and sometimes add lemon juice to it if I have a fresh lemon around. Good to know.

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 11-28-2007 at 08:23 PM.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:51 PM   #8
(female)

Pebkac HB User

Yeah, it seems the view has changed, for the most part. We are meant to have stomach acid. Why some people may need to decrease that, I can't say. Perhaps if it is coming up into the esophagus. I don't know. I have seen the advice "Don't use too many antacids." I guess a person might use them after they have done binge eating or drinking, but we should not be using them every day. If we have acid coming up every day, we should see the doctor.

Before I got the GB out, in the past year I did start to have acid coming up sometimes. I ate less at one meal, overdid it less enerally. The problem decreased. We in the west overload our systems too much. We plain eat too much. I imagine that causes many of these problems. I'm sure it did mine.

Last edited by Pebkac; 11-29-2007 at 12:40 PM.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:07 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

The Pharmacist gave good advice, albeit incomplete.

He/she specifically mentioned a calcium supplement because of a University of Pennsylvania study which found that people over 50 who are taking PPIs are 2.6 times more likely to break a hip (I'd link to it but I don't want to break forum rules). The assumption is that lack of calcium absorption has something to do with that (ya think? ). I don't know about you but that's enough to scare me off of PPIs. The calcium is the first thing identified in a public study like this but you can safely assume it's not the only thing not being absorbed properly in the absence of stomach acid. I would assume that other minerals are in the same boat. Also, we know that vitamin B12, which is important for many bodily processed, is bound to protein and stomach acid is required to make it available for absorption.

If I were to go back on PPIs, which I would not, I would be taking several supplements to try to compensate for this. Including Spirulina and Chlorella, which are not only full of protein and minerals and contain the full spectrum of B vitamins but (chlorella at least) is one of the few things on earth that contains vitamin B12 that's already bioavailable.

I know it's confusing. Stomach acid, of a sufficiently low PH, IS necessary for proper absorption. The acid itself is not the reason for acid reflux. The problem is that the acid is being forced out of your stomach and into your esophagus. Many doctors believe this is because of a faulty lower esophageal sphincter. I'm not a doctor, but I don't believe that's the cause for most of us. IMO, poor diet and dysfunctional digestion is the culprit most of the time.

There are people in this World who are eating the right things and have been for their whole lives. I'm going to go out on a limb, here, and say that cases of GERD, IBS, etc are not rampant among those people. I'm talking about people who were breast fed as babies and from that point on ate things that are not only healthy but also create the right intestinal environment for healthy intestinal flora and digestion. Most of us are not in that situation and do things like drink chlorinated water.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. Hopefully this makes sense.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:41 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Thank you for this information, Lenny. It gave me a better understanding of how things work. I need to read certain studies and medical journal articles to gain some perspective.

I take potassium-depleting medication which affects my electrolyte levels. I have had issues with low potassium. I sometimes experience episodes of severe muscle spasms along with vision abnormalities as a direct consequence of an electrolyte imbalance. Medication and impaired kidney function cause the fluctuations in their levels.

I know that calcium plays a big role in our bone health and its absorption can be effected by several factors. I also know that asthma medication, when taken longer than six months, often causes permanent damage to the bones. That's one of the reasons I don't take mine. I agree with you completely that suppressing stomach acid production affects digestion and absorption of minerals and other nutrients. I can honestly say that I felt much better before starting the PPI than I do now. I am even having some pain in the hip & knee, which is new. So many medications, including statins, affect our joints and muscles and can cause irreversible damage. That's why I've started researching drug-induced bone & muscle and joint disorders. Maybe I am just paranoid and my symptoms are signs of old age.
I use supplements daily. I don't really want to be adding too many new ones. Where does one draw the line? I feel I take enough of them as it is. They are not cheap. I wish we could enlist the help of our doctors in deciding which ones we need the most based on our health issues. With only a bit of research to guide me in their selection, I feel it's a hit and miss situation. I hope I take the right ones.

flowergirl

Old 11-30-2007, 04:41 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

A healthy diet is so much more important than supplements. Supplements should just be viewed as an insurance policy. I take a lot of things right now because I know my body was malnourished for a long time but as I feel better I'm dropping things. Yeah, it gets exhausting taking all of those things. At the rate I'm going now, I should be down to half what I'm taking in a couple of months. As I finish bottles, I'm done!! That feels good.

Sounds like you really need calcium and minerals right now. Hopefully you are getting plenty of those.

Closed Thread