It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2007, 04:57 PM   #1
(female)

Pebkac HB User
2 weeks postsurgery - what aches and pains are normal?

I had my GB out just over two weeks ago. It went very smoothly and I'm off the painkillers now, down from 2 extra strength Tylenol every four hours, down to one and then none in the last 24 hours. I'm feeling odd aches and pains in my torso that I couldn't associate to anything I've had pre-surgery.

Wondering what others have experienced.

The pains below the incisions make sense to me, but one in the centre of my back, below shoulder blade level feels very odd.

I was having brief dizzy spells a couple dozen times a day and went to emergency last week. Thought I might have a problem with my blood system, as a couple of the incisions looked infected by my standards (Worse than the nastiest cat scratch I've ever seen, and up to about 1/2 centimetre from each side of the incision in places.) They tested my heart and stuff for hours, and apparently i'm fit as a fiddle. I've never had surgery before and I am not too knowledgeable about medical stuff. Googling is one thing, but it is annoying that doctors don't have the time to answer ALL your questions, so I would like to hear what others have experienced, postsurgery and post-painkiller.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:59 AM   #2
(female)

marnb77 HB User
Re: 2 weeks postsurgery - what aches and pains are normal?

pebkac-
I had dizzy spells too.. I think it's just the trauma of having such a big surgery. I hate to say it, but docs really downplay gb surgery and tell people what a piece of cake it is, when in reality, it is more than that. I would just get a lot of rest and drink a ton of water. My scars looked terrible.. in fact they still look bright pink and I had my gb out in July.. I had bruises all around them, it looked like I got beat up! I wouldn't worry too much, you sound like your recovering beautifully. Two weeks is not alot of time.. It took me a good two months to feel normal again. Oh, and eat fat free, fat free, fat free. I learned the hard way on that.
let me know if you have any other questions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2007, 03:01 AM   #3
(female)

Pebkac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marnb77;3323***
Oh, and eat fat free, fat free, fat free. I learned the hard way on that.
Thanks for your reply. Helpful to know I'm not the only dizzy one out there.

About the fat, though, I have to say different strokes. I guess my symptoms weren't that bad -- I had no severe attacks, just chronic discomfort. I haven't had to eat fat free at all. Even experimented with new spicy food, and it's going down just fine.

What happens if you eat fat? And what are we talking here, some butter on a piece of banana bread or deep fried fish? I stopped eating the latter and similar things a year ago, but cheese or butter in various things, potato salad, or a home made burger, can still eat that, no problem.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:03 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Since the duct that replaces the work of gb sometimes takes a while to get working properly, you are advised to lay off fat (dairy, fried, etc) for a few weeks after gb removal. Ingesting these foods often causes massive diarhea.

Closed Thread