It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2007, 07:27 PM   #1
(male)

Hsteve HB User
Proud Owner of Chronic Pancreatitis Diagnosis

I'm new to this Board, so bear with me...
This is the only G.I. issue I have, but it's driving me NUTS!
I was around 8 yrs old when I was first Diagnosed w/ this disorder, and 30+- yrs later, pancreatitis has now come back w/ a vengeance...
I have, in the last 6 mos., been hospitalized 4X, missed almost 2 mos. work, and after quitting drinking, not eating fats, praying to the thing high atop the whatever, am still trying to find answers to what is triggering my attacks. My doctor just prescribed Vicodin to alleviate pain so I can go to work and not lose my benefits. I have been taking Viokase for about 3 mos. now, and it seems to lessen the frequency of attack/pain, but I HAVE TO WORK!
If there's anyone out there who is going thru the same issues, I could use some advice.
Thanx in advance...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2007, 08:16 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sam78 HB User
Re: Proud Owner of Chronic Pancreatitis Diagnosis

Congratulations... welcome to the chronic pain and suffering world. I have had "chronic" pancreatitis and well thankfully I am without at the moment. What I ended up resorting to was 7 months of IV nutrition followed by 4 months of pancreatic stents (including 3 ERCP's of course) and then 3 months of small intestine feedings. Pretty crappy but you know what the 3 months of stenting worked and I am not eating, even eating relatively fatty foods and am feeling fabulous. I have been off work since February and am just now beginning to look at work again. Pain control was a huge issue for me. I actually ended up with a nice fat narcotic addiction because I had to use so much pain medicine. It really really sucks and I dont have any really fabulous advice to give you other than stay away from the fat and get on some good digestive enzymes. Have they looked into sphincter of Oddi dysfunction??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2007, 08:33 PM   #3
(male)

Hsteve HB User

Thanx for replying, Sam...
I don't even Know what the he** that is...
If U can boil Sphincter of Oddi(?) into a general...
What the he** is it?
All I know is I feel crappy a lot of the time, pasta and rice seem to be the only safe foods I can eat; curiously, tomato sauce not only doesn't cause any reaction, it seems to help my symptoms...
BTY, I think my Mother chatted with U about me maybe a month ago...
My mom's an absolute angel... She sent the link to this group & told me to find Sam I Am..

Old 11-30-2007, 07:21 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

sam78 HB User

Well so glad to hear I was of help to someone. Sphincter of oddi is the sphincter that is located between the small intestine and the ducts of the gallbladder and pancreas. It can get narrowed to the extent that either or both bile or pancreas enzymes get backed up and cause pancreatitis. They think I had a problem with the duct itself either spasmed or narrowed which cause my pancreas to get inflammed. At any rate, IT SUCKED BIG TIME. Have you had an ERCP done??

Old 12-08-2007, 05:06 PM   #5
(male)

Hsteve HB User

Hey, Sam I Am,
Yup, It gave a rageing case of acute pancreatitis.
I was in the hospital for 8 days that time.
Since I last posted, I've seen my G.I. Doc; If I have another acute case, he will have to refer me to a different hospital in Colorado, namely University Hospital.
He's prescribed Vicodin , which seems to help with the pain, although like you, I'm really leery of being on opiates for an indefinite period of time. If the pills will help me get to work, though, I guess I'll have to do it.
I'm still avoiding fats and booze, and with the med. support, I've managed to make it to work every day this week (a 1st in a few months).
BTW, No mention of the sphincter of Oddi, although I'm pretty sure my Doc is referring me to University if I need stents implanted. My pancreatic duct was too narrowed in at least 3 places for him to fully visualize the entire duct with an ERCP...
I'm also taking Viokase, which has helped immensely, but not 100%.

Last edited by Hsteve; 12-08-2007 at 05:10 PM. Reason: clarification/addition

Old 12-11-2007, 11:30 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

sam78 HB User

Hey Hsteve, wow well if that is truely the case, about having narrowed areas of pancreatic duct, that could easily cause acute pancreatitis. I know that stents would help that but they do not like leaving stents in as they can plug and cause death. But I went through a series of stents because they thought my duct was spasming and i just had to have a ERCP every 6 weeks for a couple months and that is what ended up fixing me. Well that and a sphincterotomy. GOod luck to ya, I dont know any good doctors down there, but sure sounds like you are headed the right way. Just a word of caution, and I mean STRONG caution, with as painfull at pancreas problems are, be very diligent about your pain medicine. Unfortunately I got addicted, and it was UTTER HE.. !! Very hard balance to try and maintain. GOod luck

Old 12-16-2007, 06:52 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

Have ya'll had your calciums(serum, ionized serum, 24-hour urine) checked to see if it's elevated? Sometimes a benign parathyroid tumor causing high calcium can cause pancreatitis, although kind of rare. If it's that bad like ya'll have, I'd want to make sure.

Closed Thread