It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2007, 05:31 AM   #1
(female)

pinkeddy HB User
stomach pain or trapped nerve

I have had shooting, gnawing, burning pains in my back (top right) for five months now. I suffer from Generalised anxiety which is improving and terrrible IBS. Below are my symptoms but I just wanted to know what this could be. I have had full blood tests, and an ultra sound scan which has all been ok. I just now wonder if stress could be causing all of this and maybe it is just severe IBS with maybe a trapped nerve in my back. I just need to put my mind at rest as I just keep thinking it is something more sinister..
Symptoms

Bloating
Burping and wind
Stomach cramps
Pain down my right ribs
Pain under right shoulder blade
Cannot tolerate dairy products
Excrutiating gnawing pain in right side of back
Difficulty breathing (not sure if that is anxiety)
Sometimes nausea
Diorreah each morning

Old 12-01-2007, 07:50 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

April7 HB User
Re: stomach pain or trapped nerve

Ask your doctor about your gallbladder. Perhaps a HIDA scan would show your gb is not functioning properly. Have they checked your stomach for ulcers? Gastritis? I would ask about an endoscopy and gb scan. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2007, 08:06 AM   #3
(female)

pinkeddy HB User

Hi thanks for replying. I had an ultra sound scan on thursday for Gallstones but the doc who was scanning me said it looked normal. I am going back to my doctors next week for the full results. Perhaps i will mention Gastritis and stomach ulcer. Many thanks

Old 12-01-2007, 09:38 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User

The ultrasound doesn't always show a problem with your gallbladder. It could be many things though!

I finally got a HIDA scan with the hormone injection (cck) and it showed my gallbladder as nonfunctioning. The hormone filled my gallbladder but didn't release any as it should (EF = 0%). If I hadn't had the scan WITH CCK they wouldn't have known my gallbladder stopped working. My ultrasound was normal, no gallstones.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:48 PM   #5
(female)

pinkeddy HB User

Hi Zoegirl thanks for replying, please could you tell me what a HIDA scan is and would I have to ask my doctor for this as I am sure he thinks it is GERD but the pain is so local to one side I am unsure!

Thanks
Claire

Old 12-01-2007, 02:37 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User

Claire,
I just suggested it. Since my medication for Crohn's wasn't working for the pain I was having, I asked if I could get a HIDA scan, he said sure. Everyone, including the doctors and myself, was floored by the result. I even told the technician that I was there just to rule it out. I did not have gallbladder disease symptoms; I had all left/central pain.

The scan was easy and fairly painless. They put in an IV and lay your on a table similar to a ct scan. They inject a radioisotope and watch it go in and out of your gallbadder (takes about an hour for that part) then they inject a hormone (CCK) which simulates a fatty meal. That's when it became uncomfortable for me. Severe nausea and cramping. It didn't last long though. The whole test took about 2 hours.

I had my gallbladder removed this past Wednesday and I am feeling better already.

You have classic symptoms of gallbladder disease. I am always confused when I read posts like your's and you haven't had a HIDA scan. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Good luck with it all, I hope you feel better soon.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:47 AM   #7
(female)

pinkeddy HB User

Hi there

Well I am glad you are feeling better too and that your op was successful. How long were your symptoms for?

My docs appt is Thursday and I am scared he is just going to fob me off again with these ant acid tablets he keeps giving me - Omeprazole. Yes they help the acid but nothing else. I am just walking round constantly trying to hold burps in and have no idea what to eat at the moment. I cannot sleep on either side because of the pain. Do you have any suggestions on food? Things like Dairy and nuts and anything with flavour just doesn't agree. Apple juice helps and rice!

Thanks I really appreciate your help

Claire

Old 12-03-2007, 11:05 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User

That's a tricky questions for me. I also have Crohn's, so I can't tell you for sure which was causing me pain. I've been sick on and off for two years, but this last bout lasted two months (with no relief from my crohn's meds) before they did a HIDA scan and saw my gallbladder stopped working. I do feel pretty well other than pain from the incision sites so my guess is I was having problems with the gallbladder the whole two months and it wasn't from the Crohn's.

You can try skim milk, since it's non-fat. Anything non-fat should be OK. The last week before I got my gallbladder out I was having a horrible time with fatty foods and almost ended up in the ER, twice! I like non-fat beef or chicken broth and rice. It fills me up and tastes pretty good. You can try baked chicken, although I did have a problem with that near the end. It wasn't horrible pain but more than I had with completely no-fat. I mainly read lots of labels and bought only no-fat stuff and that got me through until I had it removed.

Good luck!

Old 01-16-2008, 01:58 AM   #9
(female)

pinkeddy HB User

Hi ZoeGirl

Just wanted your advice really as I went back to my doctors and he upped my medication of Omeprazole and Domperidone and thinks I have Motility Dissorder. I have since had boughts of Nausea and mysterious stomach bugs with vomiting. Still with back pain and rib pain and all the old symptoms. I am due to go back to the docs on Friday and I really do not know what to say as my Ultra Sound came back fine. I feel in battle with my doctors. The pain subsides if I don't eat or eat very plain foods. What would be the best thing to tell my doctor this time - I have been back around 15 times about the same old thing and 3 times Emergency! I am on the good old NHS here so it is hard for me to ask for certain procedures but I am at my wits end!

Appreciate your help.

pinkeddy

Closed Thread