It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2007, 09:24 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

April7 HB User
Can we share some GB diet tips?

Many of us either have or suspect we have gallbladder problems. Food is a big, big concern. So, I thought maybe we could share some ideas of things to eat? I'm struggling with a lack of variety in my diet and the less variety I have, the more likely I am to cheat, which will cause great pain. So, what are you guys eating, specifically?

I eat lots of oatmeal instead of cereal.

Low fat granola bars

Vegetarian Lean Cuisine type meals

Rice cooked in chicken broth

Noodles cooked in chicken broth

Plain frozen stir fry veggies boiled in water instead of cooked in oil in a wok (add them to rice or noodles and it actually feels like a meal)

I made some sauce last night to put on pasta: 2 parts chicken broth to 1 part marsala wine, simmered for 2 hours on very low heat with a lid on. Tastes fantastic on pasta

Fat free fig newtons for when I have a craving for sweets

Fat free or nearly fat free deli turkey or chicken breast on bread with mustard or fat free mayo

Baked potato topped with either fat free sour cream or fat free cottage cheese, and usually with diced fresh tomatoes

I buy a nice loaf of bread like Italian or French from the bakery, and I just eat it plain when I'm hungry for a snack. It tastes a lot better than sandwich bread.

Toast with jelly or jam only

Things that bother me are any foods with fat (and I'm not talking greasy or fried foods....something like a lowfat corn muffin that had 2.5 grams of fat and 300 calories--I hate 1/2 of it and had an attack), and any heavy foods like heavy sauces (tomato based sauces), any meats, any cheeses, any dairy more than a small glass of 1% milk, any sweets, etc.

Anyone else want to share what they're eating?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2007, 09:57 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User
Re: Can we share some GB diet tips?

I stress nonfat.. completely if you can. I couldn't drink 1% milk, it had to be skim. I mostly drank water (liters and liters) and ate anything that was 100% fat free. It did take some work to find, reading labels etc, but it was the only way I could live until I got the gallbladder out. I took lortab 10mg every 4-6 hours. (I haven't taken a pain pill in a week now!)

•I ate a lot of veggies with nonfat salad dressing.
•NONfat broth with rice
•Whole grain bread with lowfat lunch meat (I was able to tolerate this for some reason!), with mustard, not mayo
•nonfat ready made soup
•bake or broiled chicken breast (this bothered me, but not a full attack)

My husband bought some nonfat candy, but honesty I was not interested. It's still sitting on our pantry shelf.

I didn't just have attacks though, I felt awful all the time (lower abdominal pain), but nearing the end the attacks/crampings were ER worthy, but I didn't go.

I lost 20lbs. - not that I can complain about losing weight.

Also, this weekend I had some cramping after eating some Ramen noodles and 2% milk. I've noticed off and on that I'm getting cramping the further away from the removal I go, but it doesn't last long. I still feel WAY better than I did before! No regrets.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:47 AM   #3
(male)

Hsteve HB User
Re: Can we share some GB diet tips?

I have pancreatitis, but I have a weird diet
I can eat pasta with tomato sauce, but campbell's tomato soup sends me into a tailspin...
Do you think that processed foods or the ingredients therein can cause discomfort?
I am mainly eating non or low fat with some acceptions, but I'm definitely OK if I stick with "safe" foods.
I mean foods that I have tried and have not caused any pain...
Huge amounts of carbs and NO fats seem to help...
My G.I. Doc just says to avoid fats, but I can handle a hot dog or some Taco Bell(Rarely) if I get a craving. You might want to talk to your gastroenterologist about a medication called Viokase; This med. has helped me immensely...

Last edited by Hsteve; 12-10-2007 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Addition

Closed Thread