It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2007, 02:43 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

April7 HB User
Angry The Doctor Says It's All In My HEAD.

I'm furious.

I went in today and despite the fact that his partner, who is now on maternity leave, believes my gallbladder is failing because I have fairly consistent gallbladder issues, the doctor told me:

"April, I think what you need are antidepressants."

Doesn't matter that the pain comes on after I eat fat. Doesn't matter that I can tolerate non-fatty foods. Doesn't matter that my life is going well. He told me I need to "seriously evaluate my life, and surely you'll agree with me that the problem is mental."

His own associate told me last week that I would likely get a surgical referral today despite my HIDA results being borderline normal.

Instead, I was told it's in my head. I'm livid. So incredibly livid.

Yet, even though it's in my head, he's going to do a CT scan this week and a colonoscopy on January 2nd. Sounds to me like a cover-your-a** tactic to me.

I don't even know what to say. It will take me probably 6 to 8 weeks to get a new GI by the time I get the insurance referral and appointment. I'm going to go through with the tests while starting the process of finding someone else. At the very least I'll have a complete medical work-up by the time I see a new doctor.

So, my PCP thought gallbladder and sent me to the GI. The GI I first saw (who is now on maternity leave) ordered the usual u/s, endoscopy, HIDA and bloodwork. Everything was normal, HIDA was borderline. She still believed gallbladder. The ER doctor who saw me, who also had her gallbladder removed, believed it was my gallbladder. And the jackhole GI who took over my case thinks I need to take an antidepressant.

I don't have any history of stomach issues and everyone, and I mean everyone, has said that I have no indication of IBS or any other lower abdominal issue. I have no symptoms of anything down there. Yet here we go with a colonoscopy, even though it's all in my head. I could scream right now. I am so, so angry.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2007, 02:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User
Re: The Doctor Says It's All In My HEAD.

I don't blame you. Scream from the rooftops if you have to. That guy apparently suffers from a bad case of anal/cranial inversion.

Is there any way to contact the ER doc and see if she can refer someone else?

Sorry you're going through all this.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:15 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User

That is my worst nightmare! If there is a disorder for being afraid doctors won't believe you have an illness, I'd have it!

Lots of people do have stomach pains due to stress, was he by any chance suggesting that?

Sorry to hear this, at least they are going to keep testing - maybe they can find something. I do understand it seems to be your gallbladder but I hate to say it, I am not that thrilled with my results of removal. I was great for about a week and now I am having stomach pain again.. constant, just like before. Although some symptoms are gone, others remain.

I do have Crohn's but I feel like the doctors are jerking me around too, someone just fix me already. I called today asking for a nurse to call me back and no one did.

Continue with the tests and switch GIs as soon as possible. Those test results will follow you, so keep those appointments - just have them transfer your files to the new GI when that appt gets closer. They will fax them!

Old 12-11-2007, 03:38 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

April7 HB User

Oh...oh Zoe it's not even "people" that have stomach issues as a result of stress. It's "women" in particular according to this doctor. Not people, just women.

I know all about psychosomatic disorders. I have my BA in psych. And I'll be the very first to admit that yep, I have a nervous belly. Too much excitement, happiness, nervousness, and I have a bout of diarrhea. Just one trip to the bathroom, and it has never interfered with my life. It happens maybe twice a year. I know how doctors can be so I never told the doctors this when I started having stomach issues. In fact I have never mentioned it to any doctor, because what's the point? It's how I react, and there's no need for medical intervention because it's not an issue for me.

He told me the only reason he believes it's in my head is because of a borderline HIDA, normal endoscopy, normal ultrasound, normal bloodwork.

I'm pretty sure he's only running more tests because his malpractice insurance wants him to be thorough in case he ever gets sued. He already pretty much said the tests were a waste of time (yet, I didn't ask for them and he wants to run them).

I have only dirty, mean words to say right now so I'm going to hit the submit button and cool off.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:13 PM   #5
(female)

BlueEyezzMel HB User

A colonoscopy won't even determine whether or not you have gallbladder issues....Silly of him.

Life DOES get better eventually....

Old 12-11-2007, 04:38 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

April7 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyezzMel View Post
A colonoscopy won't even determine whether or not you have gallbladder issues....Silly of him.
I know. He doesn't think it's my gallbladder at all even though his partner believes it is. He thinks it's psychological but for whatever reason still wants to run 2 more tests.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:40 PM   #7
(female)

mizzaj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by April7 View Post
I'm furious.

I went in today and despite the fact that his partner, who is now on maternity leave, believes my gallbladder is failing because I have fairly consistent gallbladder issues, the doctor told me:

"April, I think what you need are antidepressants."

Doesn't matter that the pain comes on after I eat fat. Doesn't matter that I can tolerate non-fatty foods. Doesn't matter that my life is going well. He told me I need to "seriously evaluate my life, and surely you'll agree with me that the problem is mental."

His own associate told me last week that I would likely get a surgical referral today despite my HIDA results being borderline normal.

Instead, I was told it's in my head. I'm livid. So incredibly livid.

Yet, even though it's in my head, he's going to do a CT scan this week and a colonoscopy on January 2nd. Sounds to me like a cover-your-a** tactic to me.

I don't even know what to say. It will take me probably 6 to 8 weeks to get a new GI by the time I get the insurance referral and appointment. I'm going to go through with the tests while starting the process of finding someone else. At the very least I'll have a complete medical work-up by the time I see a new doctor.

So, my PCP thought gallbladder and sent me to the GI. The GI I first saw (who is now on maternity leave) ordered the usual u/s, endoscopy, HIDA and bloodwork. Everything was normal, HIDA was borderline. She still believed gallbladder. The ER doctor who saw me, who also had her gallbladder removed, believed it was my gallbladder. And the jackhole GI who took over my case thinks I need to take an antidepressant.

I don't have any history of stomach issues and everyone, and I mean everyone, has said that I have no indication of IBS or any other lower abdominal issue. I have no symptoms of anything down there. Yet here we go with a colonoscopy, even though it's all in my head. I could scream right now. I am so, so angry.
Wow, if I could curse on this board, I would surely be cursing in your behalf. That is my worse nightmare too! It's one thing to suspect that your doctors probably believe your condition is psychosomatic (as I think mine do), but to actually have the doctor talk to you like that and say that ***** is unbelievable. And it does seem like he's doing bogus tests to avoid malpractice. I would be as mad as you are right now, if not madder. My response would be, "I'm already taking antidepressants and I still have these problems....got any other brilliant ideas?" What a jackhole like you said.

Zoegirl, sorry to hear you're having stomach pain again. Do you think it might be Crohn's related? Perhaps your body is still adjusting to everything? Keep us posted on your issues as well. I was uplifted by your non-horror story of removal...I hope today is just an off day for you.....

Keep your chin up, April. I know how you feel. Doctors really blow!

Old 12-11-2007, 07:13 PM   #8
(female)

marnb77 HB User

oh april.. i'm sorry.. and i really do feel your pain. I had my gb out for multiple stones in july and when I wasn't recovering right, I went back to my surgeon w/ a list of concerns. One of my main ones, was why I was running a low grade temp of almost 100 everynight. I knew it had to be from the surgery since I was perfectly healthy before that. So I ask my surgeon why and he tells me I caught a flu bug and that's why i had the raised temp. When I then asked him why I felt so crappy still, his answer was "well, you should be feeling better by now, I think you are depressed. You should up your meds" I wanted to pummel him in the face. I was so angry. Not only do I already take anti depressants but I think I know my body well enough to know something wasn't right. So i went to my gp who ran a bunch of tests and just said that for some of us, gb surgery has a longer recovery time. Finally someone who believed me and didn't throw more anti d's at me. Anyways, point of my story, is you know your own body best. If you have a dr telling you this garbage, get rid of him and find someone new!
Hang in there. You WILL figure it out!

Old 12-12-2007, 06:12 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

April7 HB User

Thanks guys.

It's not that I am determined to have my gb removed. It's not that I'm 100% sure that's what's wrong with me, and that I have my heart set on it coming out. But when my own doctor was telling me that the liklihood that I would have 100% improvement with it out, really made me feel great. I felt like I had an answer. And then she goes on maternity leave and 1 week later this guy tells me she's wrong, and it's all mental.

I DO know my body. I know how I react to stress. I know when I am feeling down. I have been feeling great this past year and things have been good in my life. I'm happy. And I know my body. And I know this isn't right. So I'm very frustrated right now.

I'll have the CT Scan and the colonoscopy while searching for a new GI. I know it will take a little bit before I can be seen by someone new, so at least when I do have the appointment I'll have a good medical work up to show them.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:47 AM   #10
(female)

Sisty HB User

April7, as you know I posted before. But we are having the same symptoms and all negative test results. I have had 2 CT's and colonoscpy on top of every other test know to doctors. Right now I do not have a GI Doc as two of them don't want to see me anymore as they do not have answers. I too am convinced it is my gallbladder. Can you go to a surgeon without being referred by your doctor? I was not sure. Anyway, good luck. Let me know if you get any resolution.
Sisty

Closed Thread