It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2007, 07:38 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

April7 HB User
Tell me Honestly about Colonoscopy Prep

I know it's going to be pretty terrible. I know that. What am I in for? Any advice? I've read that starting the liquid diet a few days in advance, or at least eating very light foods a few days in advance will lessen the pain of the prep. Also, avoiding citrus and acidic foods will help with the burning when you go.

Has anyone done the Gatorade prep? I can't even believe what I need to drink. 10 am the day before I take an antinausea pill. Then at 10:30 I start the Glycolax powder mixed with 64 ounces of gatorade and do 8 ounces every 15 minutes until it's gone. Then at 5 I have to repeat the process a second time, but I will save 1 eight ounce glass of prep for the following morning. I drink that one glass at 3 am, and then at 4 am I take an anti0gas pill. I have my colonoscopy at 7 am.

So, any advice, words of encouragement? Any tricks you've learned to make it go down easier? And has anyone ever heard of having to drink two 64-ounce bottles of gatorade? It seems so inhumane. I keep reading about the gatorade prep and it says you only drink 1 bottle, not 2.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:09 AM   #2
(female)

mizzaj HB User
Re: Tell me Honestly about Colonoscopy Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by April7 View Post
I know it's going to be pretty terrible. I know that. What am I in for? Any advice? I've read that starting the liquid diet a few days in advance, or at least eating very light foods a few days in advance will lessen the pain of the prep. Also, avoiding citrus and acidic foods will help with the burning when you go.

Has anyone done the Gatorade prep? I can't even believe what I need to drink. 10 am the day before I take an antinausea pill. Then at 10:30 I start the Glycolax powder mixed with 64 ounces of gatorade and do 8 ounces every 15 minutes until it's gone. Then at 5 I have to repeat the process a second time, but I will save 1 eight ounce glass of prep for the following morning. I drink that one glass at 3 am, and then at 4 am I take an anti0gas pill. I have my colonoscopy at 7 am.

So, any advice, words of encouragement? Any tricks you've learned to make it go down easier? And has anyone ever heard of having to drink two 64-ounce bottles of gatorade? It seems so inhumane. I keep reading about the gatorade prep and it says you only drink 1 bottle, not 2.
I wish I knew what to tell you, April. I know that it's recommended that people over 50 start getting colonoscopies semi-regularly to check for colon cancer, and I think my parents, who are over 60, still haven't had one yet. It just sounds yucky!!!

Given that your condition doesn't even seem like something that would warrant a colonoscopy, is it possible to tell the doctor that you don't want it? Or is it too late for that? And since you're planning to see someone new in a couple of months anyway, it seems like you should leave this guy behind-- the same way I'm going to leave my GI doc behind. I just don't get why he wouldn't think it was gb related if his partner did. Didn't he read her notes about your condition before seeing you? He sounds like an awful, awful doctor. Have you talked to your primary care doctor to see what he/she thinks of this new doc's opinion? Just some suggestions. I feel like you should not give in to having a colonoscopy just 'cause this idiot is trying to make it look like he's doing something. Errr. When is it scheduled for? Keep us posted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2007, 09:11 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

April7 HB User

It's scheduled for 1/2/08. Though the test is pretty yucky, I don't think it would be a terrible idea to rule things out. Just in case, you know? I've been under the impression that I wouldn't need one, but what the heck. Let's just take a look and make sure there isn't anything going on, you know? I figure it can't hurt to be safe.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:19 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User

It's really not terrible! I see so many posts and I remember the freak out I had before too (had my first 2 yrs ago when I was 35).

I wish they gave me Gatorade! I had some other ungodly drink. Just keep it by your side and sip sip sip.

The part I hated was the diarrhea, of course that was crampy. That was the worst part... I felt OK the next morning and the colonoscopy went by without me even knowing. I actually thought I had a nice rest. Actually I had an endoscopy at the same time! Both ends at once

I turned down a colonoscopy a couple years before that just because I didn't think it was necessary (I wasn't having that many problems at that time). Well two years ago I was in constant pain for 6 months! They did every test before the colonoscopy/endoscopy and it all looked OK, so I didn't care at that point. The colonoscopy is what diagnosed my Crohn's... and once on the meds I got better!

It's not bad, I'm not lying! Be prepared for diarrhea and how you normally feel when you have it. The tests themselves are a piece of cake.

Good luck!

Old 12-12-2007, 10:49 AM   #5
(female)

meringue HB User

I promise you that the colonoscopy isn't bad at all. When I started taking the prep medication, it took about 2 hours to kick in and it's just like normal diarrhea - in fact, after the first few (say, 3) diarrhea episodes, it's just pure water that comes out. What goes in, just comes out the other end! It all seems very logical, and the need to go to the bathroom isn't strong like you'll soil your pants. You just get a few small cramps and you think "okay, I'll go to the bathroom now.." then you go and it's all fine. The one problem was knowing when an episode had finished.. you think.. "can I get up now? Or should I sit here for a bit longer?!"

Old 12-12-2007, 07:07 PM   #6
(male)

Collector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB User

It really is not bad! There are actually two kinds of preparations, one is the 64oz kind the second is a much smaller bottle.

I got the 64oz version. The trick is to drink as much as possible as fast as you can in the beginning, then slow down. Don't try and evenly space out the intake from the start, because you will start feeling full and may give up.

I had a co-worker who couldn't finish her preparation drink and they still did the procedure.

PS: if you pass some blood as I did, don't freak out, it not unusual. Good luck.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:57 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User

April,
I just did this back in September. It wasn't bad at all. The prep I used was called OsmoPrep. Its 32 pills you take in 2 batches - eatch batch is 16 pills, 4 at a time, with 8 oz of liquid every 15 minutes. There was no bad taste, no cramping, no feeling of a pending "bum explosion". I had some minor nausea after the 2nd batch, but it was managable. The urge to go was gentle. And I was apparently squeaky clean. Honestly, the hardest part of the prep was not being able to have solid foods the day before the procedure.

Btw, I had originally chosen the 2 batches of liquid as my prep method. Was talking with some folks on another board in this forum who highly recommended the OsmoPrep. I called my dr 2 days before the procedure and got the rx for the pills. Don't regret it a bit and now also highly recommend the OsmoPrep.

I agree its probably a good idea to get things checked out "just in case". Besides, once its done and everything's ok, you're good to go for another 10 years.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:48 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Never mind.

Last edited by SanyBelle; 12-18-2007 at 10:51 AM.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:38 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

April7 HB User

Thank you everyone. I have my CT Scan tomorrow to take a closer look at my guts, and then if that comes back normal he'll do the colonoscopy on the 2nd. I'm hoping the CT Scan shows something because I'm tired of all these normal test results. Been doing ok on a low fat diet but I know something is wrong with my body. Just need to figure out what.

Closed Thread