It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2007, 04:01 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User
Still have the abdominal pain - any ideas?

Well, I've had an abdominal u/s and CT scan (with contrast) and both don't show a darned thing. There's a 5mm polyp in the fundus of my gallbladder, but that shouldn't cause any problems. No gallstones, no other abnormalities of anything. And I still have that darned pain.

I've also had an endoscopy and colonoscopy. Other than some mild diverticulosis, everything was ok. Found a couple of colon polyps, but they were excised and came back benign.

Its about halfway between my waist and the bottom of my ribcage. Its not unbearable, just there. Have had it intermittently for about a year now, but chronic for close to a month. Occasionally, it'll radiate around to my back, down my abdomen, down my leg, or up to my shoulder.

They ran a standard enzyme panel. The only things that stand out are that my lipase is low and the bun:crea ratio is low. Everything else is normal. Taking digestive enzymes seems to help a little, but the pain never really goes away.

One doc says it could be dysbiosis, but I've never heard of that causing localized pain. I could be wrong on this. I'm taking probiotics too and it doesn't seem to be helping.

Its also affected my appetite. I haven't been eating much because the pain's always worse after I eat, even on a low fat diet. Subsequently, I've lost about 15 pounds in the last month. Not that I couldn't stand to lose a few pounds, but it can't be healthy to do it like this.

I've had calls into my GI for a couple of weeks. He hasn't called back. Not even after I ended up in the ER because one morning, in addition to the pain, I also was extremely shaky, was absolutely freezing, and was sweating (figured at that point something might really be wrong - of course, they didn't find anything). Thinking its time for a new GI.

But anyway, any ideas what this could be?

Last edited by Nyxie63; 12-30-2007 at 04:02 AM. Reason: can't speel fer nuthin today

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2008, 05:05 PM   #2
(female)

Sisty HB User
Re: Still have the abdominal pain - any ideas?

Nyxie63, sounds just like me!! Everything negative! But all my bloods, enzymes etc.are normal My pain is below my rib cage on the right side, goes to my back, shoulder etc. about 2 inches above my belly button. I have had it for a year everyday. I am seeing a surgeon on Friday to see about exploratory surgery. I have had 2 GI Dr's and a multitude of other types. 2 ER visits etc. They use the usual anxiety, stress etc. I think as a woman they write it off as that.
If I get any resolution I will let you know.
Sisty

Old 01-02-2008, 03:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sisty,
My pain's in exactly the same place as yours. Sometimes, it goes down to just a feeling of pressure, but there's always something there these days.

I'm looking at another GI who might be a little more on the ball about things. He's a celiac-knowledgable doc. Figure if he's up on that, he might be more aggressive about further testing and more knowledgable about related issues.

I have a couple of other things going on and they might be related. Recently dx'd food intolerances (gluten, corn, dairy, sugar), as well as possibly having Lyme (which can cause abdominal pain). At this point, I'm just guessing.

I'm wondering if a Hida scan would show anything? Have you had one done?

Good luck on Friday! Please let me know what the surgeon says.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:10 AM   #4
(female)

Sisty HB User

Nyxie63, Yes I had a HIDA scan and Ultrasound but everything was normal too. I was tested for Celiacs came back negative. I will see what the surgeon says. I don't know if you can have inflamation of the Gallbladder that does not show up? Also I was concerned about my pancreas as some members say it sounds like it could be that too. But so far everything is negative. I had an MRCP that was normal too!!
I will let you know what the surgoen says.
Sisty

Old 01-04-2008, 01:03 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sisty,
How'd your appt go today?

Old 01-04-2008, 01:47 PM   #6
(female)

Sisty HB User

Well I creid all teh way back to work. He wants to consult back with my GIU Dr who does not know what to do with me! He said I have symptoms that match gallbladder problems but he wants to have my Gi Dr do another enoscopy and take a bile sample to see if there are any crystals in it. He told me all the complications of a laparoscopy and also gallbladder removal but wants to consult back with my Dr. I am over it. I do not want to live like this in pain all the time. I just want someone to do something. Sorry to ramble but I am really at the point of desperation. How are you doing?
Sisty

Old 01-04-2008, 02:20 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm so sorry he wasn't any help. That sucks! What a disappointment. Wish I could give you a hug right now. Would it be possible to find yet another GI? I know it's a pain in the hoo-ha to break in new docs, but sometimes its worth the effort if we're going to find answers.

Doing so-so today. Can't take any digestive enzymes or probiotics because I'm prepping for the 3-day stool testing the Holistic MD wants me to do for dysbiosis. *sigh* Today's day 2 of no digestive help. Personally, I think the test is a waste of time and money, but gotta do it to at least rule it out.

Consequently, the pain's worse, which I figured it would be. Right up front and wrapping around to the back too. And only 3 more days of this. Bleah! Hot lemon water is my friend right now. It seems to help fight the nausea as well. I'm not really eating. Hungry, but afraid to eat, if you know what I mean.

Hugs!

Old 01-04-2008, 11:34 PM   #8
(male)

Gar2007 HB User

The gallbladder can be tricky. I went thru a bad three months with horrible nausea, stomach colic pain and extreme loss of appetite. Before all of that, I just had indigestion, right shoulder pain and diarrhea. My doc first had a feeling it was my GB. He did some other tests (gastric emptying, HIDA, 2 ultrasounds) then on the second ultrasound they found evidence of gallstones. He ordered my GB out and when they took it out it was inflamed and diseased. Sometimes you wont know if it is GB related until they take it out. Have follow up next Weds. to see if there were any more gallstones in the GB.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Last edited by Gar2007; 01-04-2008 at 11:35 PM.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:55 AM   #9
(female)

Sisty HB User

Nyxie63 let me know how it goes. I have decided to go on a liquid diet. If I don'teat I have only small tingy pains. So I am going to see what happens. I am trying to get an appointment with another GI Dr #3?? I am so over this. Let me know how you are doing.
Sisty

Old 01-26-2008, 05:00 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

HasLPRD HB User

I had abdominal pain (cramp-like, intermittent, upper-right quadrant).
My doctor thought it was a gallstone but the ultrasound was normal,
so he diagnosed "functional abdominal pain" and we tried all sorts
of medications that made me sick (Donattal, Nortriptyline, Paroxitine).
In the end I started taking acidophilus (about 2 billion cells a day)
and within a month the abdominal pain was gone. I could tell it
was working within a couple weeks.

Mark.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:05 PM   #11
(female)

michelle346 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyxie63 View Post
Well, I've had an abdominal u/s and CT scan (with contrast) and both don't show a darned thing. There's a 5mm polyp in the fundus of my gallbladder, but that shouldn't cause any problems. No gallstones, no other abnormalities of anything. And I still have that darned pain.

I've also had an endoscopy and colonoscopy. Other than some mild diverticulosis, everything was ok. Found a couple of colon polyps, but they were excised and came back benign.

Its about halfway between my waist and the bottom of my ribcage. Its not unbearable, just there. Have had it intermittently for about a year now, but chronic for close to a month. Occasionally, it'll radiate around to my back, down my abdomen, down my leg, or up to my shoulder.

They ran a standard enzyme panel. The only things that stand out are that my lipase is low and the bun:crea ratio is low. Everything else is normal. Taking digestive enzymes seems to help a little, but the pain never really goes away.

One doc says it could be dysbiosis, but I've never heard of that causing localized pain. I could be wrong on this. I'm taking probiotics too and it doesn't seem to be helping.

Its also affected my appetite. I haven't been eating much because the pain's always worse after I eat, even on a low fat diet. Subsequently, I've lost about 15 pounds in the last month. Not that I couldn't stand to lose a few pounds, but it can't be healthy to do it like this.

I've had calls into my GI for a couple of weeks. He hasn't called back. Not even after I ended up in the ER because one morning, in addition to the pain, I also was extremely shaky, was absolutely freezing, and was sweating (figured at that point something might really be wrong - of course, they didn't find anything). Thinking its time for a new GI.

But anyway, any ideas what this could be?
Hi Nyxie63, sorry you're feeling so bad - back in February I had my gallbladder removed. Prior to this, I also was suffering from the same symptoms you described and more where I couldn't eat and my stomach felt uncomfortably swollen. I started losing weight quicker than what I wanted. About 2 months after my gallbladder removal, I developed similar symtoms again, Doctors ran more tests and found I had a kidney stone and a gas pocket on my left side. I was also getting reoccurrent urinary tract infections. About 3 days before getting a procedure to blast out the kidney stone, I drank between 2 to 3 classes of warm water with a half of fresh lemon, and when I was prepped for the procedure, the stone was gone and so was the gas pocket. So now that's what I drink every morning to stop the formation of stones. The UTI has not return since, however, the pain on my side and abdomen continued. I suspected constipation, so I bought the FiberOne cereal, and ate lettus morning, afternoon and dinnertime. I have become regular and the pain is about 98% gone. I started relaxing myself with good thoughts, stretches, and light jogging (I listen to music and run around the house). I'm training myself not to get angry quickly at things that are out of my control. The only thing that I'm having a problem with now is eating, it bothers my stomach, so I'm going to try what I read on this forum - magnesium from the health food store. (I suspect that I'm eating too much fiber and it may be irritating my stomach).

I don't know if you have kidney stones, but just so you know that according to my doctor, hey only hurt when they are in the tube - pain radiates up and down your legs and up your back and side and can also cause UTIs. Hope you feel better.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:35 AM   #12
(female)

BayLady HB User

Good morning.

I have many digestive tract problems, and I've been through most of the same tests that Y'all are talking about. I had my GB out a few years ago, and was surprized 6 months later when the pain returned. My Dr. says it is "radiating stomach pain" that causes the stabbing pains in my shoulder and under my ribs. About two years ago I had endoscopy both North & South lol, and this revealed mild diverticulosis, and a small hiatle hernia. A hiatle hernia is located at the top of the stomach where the asophogus and stomach meet. This causes me to have random stabbing pains in my chest & back, and occasional problems swallowing. It feels like the food gets stuck going through my asophogus, but some sips of water usually washes it down. When this happens I get violent hick-ups too. A few months ago I ended up in the ER because I was having severe chest pain near my heart. It turned out to be hernia pain. I had eaten a couple of slices of pizza, and some soda-pop for lunch. Then I laid down to nap. I think that the food acid and maybe gas from the soda got trapped under the hernia. It was extremely painful and frightening...

So maybe you should rule out a hiatle hernia... Best Wishes, Sheri

PS, I find that it helps to sip on Sprite or 7-up regularly. It settles my stomach. :-D

"It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop." Confucius

Last edited by BayLady; 02-10-2008 at 02:39 AM. Reason: To add tip about sipping 7-up.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:17 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

HasLPRD HB User

BayLady,

Just so we're all clear on what's happening with your symptoms, the hiatal hernia doesn't cause your pain directly. The hiatal hernia compromises the lower-esophageal sphincter which allows you to get heartburn when you eat fatty or spicy foods. Perhaps you know this, but the wording you used made it sound like the hernia caused the pain, which isn't the case. The hernia allows heartburn which causes the pain. You need to make sure you keep the heartburn under control or you are at risk for developing Barrett's esophagus, which is a pre-cancerous condition. Standard precautions for avoiding heartburn include avoiding fatty foods (like pizza) and not laying down immediately after eating. The pain you are describing (with the radiating into the back) is esophageal pain, not stomach pain.

The Mayo Clinic has a good overview of heartburn:
[url]http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/heartburn-gerd/DS00095[/url]

Mark.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:31 PM   #14
(female)

BayLady HB User

Thanks for your opinion Mark. I'm just going by what the ER Dr. wrote on my release form... And what my GP said about "stomach pain." I'm in the early stages of Scleroderma as well, so my pain could be directly related to "all of the above" lol - as Scleroderma damages the asophagus-among many other digestive tract, and connective tissue organs. I take prilosec OTC daily for acid refulx.

"It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop." Confucius

Closed Thread