It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2007, 10:29 AM   #1
(female)

mizzaj HB User
Non Ulcer Dyspepsia?????

Hi and Happy 2008!

I've posted many times before about the possibility that I have a non-functioning gallbladder, possibly gastroparesis, and H Pylori which I did treatment for and experienced no change in my symptoms-- even after testing negative once the treatment was finished.

A doctor friend of mine suggested that I could have non ulcer dyspepsia. I asked her what one can do for that and she said, "Nothing". I asked how long it lasts, and she said, "It could last one month or 10 years". I'm extremely dismayed by this information. I still need to get more tests done (like a HIDA scan) to rule out other things, but if I do have non ulcer (or functional) dyspepsia, I'm wondering if there's anything that can be done.

Have any of you been diagnosed with this? If so, how long did it last, and how did you deal with it? Or is this just another "bogus" diagnosis that doctors give when they're not trying hard enough to find out what's wrong?

My symptoms definitely seem like they could be non ulcer dyspepsia. But they also seem like they could be a lot of things. It's very frustrating and confusing. I take a German herbal supplement called Iberogast, but I can't tell how much it helps. Same with the Mastic Gum/DGL combo called "Ceasefire" that I'm taking, or the digestive enzymes. (Although I did start eating a probiotic yogurt from Yoplait-- the probiotic capsules I took before didn't seem to do anything though.)

If anyone has any insight, please let me know. I am depressed at the thought of this dragging on without relief. I've heard that PPI's are often prescribed for non ulcer dyspepsia, but I had trouble with those because they suppressed my stomach acid so much that I couldn't digest my food!

Anyway, I hope you all have a wonderful new year, and hopefully we'll all find the answers we've been looking for this year!

-AJ

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2008, 03:55 AM   #2
(female)

boz HB User
Re: Non Ulcer Dyspepsia?????

Hi there, Happy New Year to you all..
Like you I've had these problems for years. Taken all types of medicines from the GP, & now back on Ranitidine 150mg twice a day as needed & Gaviscon.
I get relief for a short time....... then back to square one.
I had the triple therapy for H.pylori, but my GP only gave it to me for a week.
So unsure if it worked or not.
Since then I bought Mastic Gum capsules. Theres an odd 'twang' about them.
A very funny sort of smell/taste, anyway since I started to take them some days I feel easy ......some days I dont.
I think I will try leaving off the pro-biotic drinks as well.
After breakfast my tum seems a bit curdled........with just the feintest hint of nausea......... I have porridge to try to help with a high cholesterol level, even thats not much help. By lunch time my tums OK.
I am so fed up with it all, now starting into year 8. Any ideas I will consider.
Thanks for listening
J.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:49 PM   #3
(female)

mizzaj HB User
Re: Non Ulcer Dyspepsia?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by boz View Post
Hi there, Happy New Year to you all..
Like you I've had these problems for years. Taken all types of medicines from the GP, & now back on Ranitidine 150mg twice a day as needed & Gaviscon.
I get relief for a short time....... then back to square one.
I had the triple therapy for H.pylori, but my GP only gave it to me for a week.
So unsure if it worked or not.
Since then I bought Mastic Gum capsules. Theres an odd 'twang' about them.
A very funny sort of smell/taste, anyway since I started to take them some days I feel easy ......some days I dont.
I think I will try leaving off the pro-biotic drinks as well.
After breakfast my tum seems a bit curdled........with just the feintest hint of nausea......... I have porridge to try to help with a high cholesterol level, even thats not much help. By lunch time my tums OK.
I am so fed up with it all, now starting into year 8. Any ideas I will consider.
Thanks for listening
J.
Hey Boz,

Happy 2008! Sorry to hear that you are still struggling with stomach issues after all these years...what have the doctors said? You could try taking Iberogast....it may help you. I buy mine from a site called Seacoast Vitamins. It's one of the only sites I've found that has it. I don't know how much it's helping, but it's certainly not hurting! It's rough when you have good days and bad ones. The good ones make you think you're finally over the stomach madness, and the bad ones make you wonder if it will ever end and why you have to keep suffering.

You could also try going to a Naturopath. If my docs can't come up with a diagnosis other than non ulcer dyspepsia for me, then I'm going to see a Naturopath. It's expensive, but could be worth it. I tried acupuncture but that didn't seem to help.

Other than, I try to meditate and exercise whenever I can. Again, I don't know how much these things help, but they're good for your mental state and that's half the battle it seems (or more than half!) Good luck and keep me posted.

Closed Thread