It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2008, 12:37 PM   #1
(female)

w0221976 HB User
Celiac

I have had type 1 diabetes for 20 years now, but I was recently diagnosed with celiac disease. Does anyone know a lot about this disease?

Old 01-21-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

morrisun HB User
Re: Celiac

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease almost 4 years ago; was undiagnosed for almost 11 years. It can be somewhat daunting at first trying to learn what you can eat, what you can't, what has hidden gluten in it, etc. But trust me, it's so worth it.

There are a lot of good sites out there that contain a lot of information, just search for it! Good luck, and let me know if you have any specific questions.
PCOS

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2008, 08:17 AM   #3
(female)

gclaec HB Usergclaec HB User

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I was diagnosed in 2005 after many many years of not knowing what was wrong. The best thing you can do is find a local support group in your area, they are wonderful place to start. I had so much difficulty at first until I met everyone in the group, any question I had they were there.

You should make sure your family get tested as well, it is genetic. My son has it, and he is doing great on the GF diet. The best place for information is through the Columbia Celiac Center and Dr Peter Greene. Good Luck,

C

Old 02-05-2008, 09:51 PM   #4
(female)

Milo7777 HB User

HOW IS CELIAC MOST ACCURATELY DIAGNOSED? I do not have symptoms and the blood test said neg. but the biopsy said positive??? What now?

Old 02-06-2008, 05:29 AM   #5
(male)

eihcet HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo7777 View Post
HOW IS CELIAC MOST ACCURATELY DIAGNOSED? I do not have symptoms and the blood test said neg. but the biopsy said positive??? What now?
If you want to feel better, the best thing would be to look up / search for celiac diet / gluten free diets and eat just the safe foods for a few weeks and see if conditions improve. When you've been feeling better for a bit, you can start introducing some foods back in, one at a time, waiting a few days before trying something else.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:49 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

jen52983 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo7777 View Post
I think a colonoscopy (spelling) can diagnose Celiacs. My doctor first told me that he was pretty sure I had Celiacs, my blood work triggered him. He gave me two options, try the diet.. if it helped, stick with.. or a colonoscopy. I really didnt want to have something stuck up my bum, so I chose the diet and have stuck with it ever since. If it's not a colonoscopy, then it's some other procedure that involves the backside!

Old 02-07-2008, 11:02 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

morrisun HB User

If they do a biopsy it's usually by endoscope...but close enough!!
PCOS

Old 02-13-2008, 08:12 AM   #8
(female)

gclaec HB Usergclaec HB User

The Gold standard for diagnosing celiac is biopsy. If biopsy is positive you 100% have celiac. The blood test is negative in many people because the blood test will only pick up when severe damage has already been done and shows up in your anitibodies. I suggest you find a good Dr that specializes in Celiac and meet a nutritionist to discuss diet immediatly. Look up your local support group as well they can help you get in contact with the right Dr's. The hardest part is starting the diet, once you see how wonderful you feel you wont ever want to eat Gluten again.

Good luck!!!

Closed Thread