It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2008, 10:33 PM   #1
(female)

dreamynights HB User
Absorption problem?

I've always been a very thin person, since I was a little girl. Currently I'm 20 years old, about 5'1 and I weigh 88 pounds. I eat a reasonable amount, 3 meals a day if I wake up early. 2 meals a day if I wake up at around 12. My parents think I eat a lot (for my weight) and dont understand why I'm so light. I dont understand either. Their conclusions are either I dont absorb what I eat or I take too long to eat (sometimes 1-2 hours).

About a year or more ago, I think my stool started to change. I remember it being a lot harder and now, more frequently, my stool is very loose. It is sometimes very light in color, like medium brown/yellowish. When I flush, it usually breaks apart. I told my doctor that it had changed but she said it is normal that your stool could change if you eat different foods. I thought this could be the case because I changed from highschool to college, so I have been eating different. I might have lost a couple of pounds between this period. I used to be 90 something pounds. This was around the time I dropped to 88 pounds, I think.

A week ago, I visited the doctor again. I asked her if I could have an absorption problem and she said I shouldnt have unless my stool was like diarrhea. My stool wasnt exactly like it, so I said no. Diarrhea is a lot more liquid and usually stings, which my stool does not. But my stool is almost like it, since it is so loose and yellowish. So I was wondering if I might have an absorbtion problem based on what I described

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2008, 08:54 AM   #2
(male)

eihcet HB User
Re: Absorbtion problem?

[url]http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stool-color/AN00772[/url]

Sometimes people with pale stools have allergies to various food types and/or that they may not even be aware of. Over time, eating those foods, can cause problems with nutrient absorption. This is associated with Celiac's disease, but, that is not to say this is your problem. You can be tested for Celiac's but a negative test is not proof that you don't have it.

Alternatively you can modify your diet and see if eliminating gluten improves any other symptoms you may have (it may take days or weeks to see changes, it's not an overnight thing).

Old 01-23-2008, 10:27 PM   #3
(female)

dreamynights HB User

Oh thanks, that might actually make sense since I started eating more wheat products daily around that time. Even if it isnt what I have, I could ask my doctor about it to check. However, once again, this disease talks about diarrhea. So I was wondering, based on what I described about my stool, does it categorize as diarrhea? I'd also like to add that usually my stool comes out solid but breaks when I flush only.

Last edited by dreamynights; 01-23-2008 at 10:28 PM.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:37 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

morrisun HB User

You don't have to have diarrhea in order to have Celiac. Often times people have little to no symptoms, or they have neurological symptoms, or constipation, etc. There are a lot of different symptoms with Celiac. It couldn't hurt to be tested for it. Good luck!
PCOS

Old 01-28-2008, 05:11 PM   #5
(female)

michelle346 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamynights View Post
I've always been a very thin person, since I was a little girl. Currently I'm 20 years old, about 5'1 and I weigh 88 pounds. I eat a reasonable amount, 3 meals a day if I wake up early. 2 meals a day if I wake up at around 12. My parents think I eat a lot (for my weight) and dont understand why I'm so light. I dont understand either. Their conclusions are either I dont absorb what I eat or I take too long to eat (sometimes 1-2 hours).

About a year or more ago, I think my stool started to change. I remember it being a lot harder and now, more frequently, my stool is very loose. It is sometimes very light in color, like medium brown/yellowish. When I flush, it usually breaks apart. I told my doctor that it had changed but she said it is normal that your stool could change if you eat different foods. I thought this could be the case because I changed from highschool to college, so I have been eating different. I might have lost a couple of pounds between this period. I used to be 90 something pounds. This was around the time I dropped to 88 pounds, I think.

A week ago, I visited the doctor again. I asked her if I could have an absorption problem and she said I shouldnt have unless my stool was like diarrhea. My stool wasnt exactly like it, so I said no. Diarrhea is a lot more liquid and usually stings, which my stool does not. But my stool is almost like it, since it is so loose and yellowish. So I was wondering if I might have an absorbtion problem based on what I described
Hi, I was just thinking about what you said and it reminded me of what my friend, whose a nurse, told me one day, she said that fiber makes your stool bulky so that it could scrape down (clean) the bacteria on the walls of your colen. You might want to try eating foods high in fiber such as fiberone cereal, etc. Fiber not only makes your stool bulky, it also helps keep you regular. I read that eating foods made from white flour helps harden the stool, but may cause constipation and, again, eating fiber can help that. If you are worried about the color of your stool, ask your doctor to run a stool test. Good luck - hope everything turns out well for you.

Closed Thread