It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2008, 07:59 PM   #1
(female)

LAwoman75 HB User
New here, having a HIDA on Monday after negative ultrasound

Hello everyone!
I'm 32, female, mother of 2. About 3.5 weeks ago, I began noticing something going on with my right side. Like I would lay in my bed and thought I had laid on a balled up sock or my nightgown was bunched up under me, but nothing was there. I, for the most part, ignored this thinking I may have strained something and it would go away. Well, it didn't go away, but it got worse little by little and I noticed I was burping alot. After a couple weeks, I visited my GP who scanned my urine which was clear, and then ordered an u/s of my gallbladder. The GP told me that if nothing showed on my u/s, then he didn't know where to go from there. So, after finding out that my u/s showed "no significant abnormalities", I knew not to visit the GP and went to a GI doctor (also at the advice of my brother who is a dr.internal med.). The pain has also become worse. Some days are good, and some not so good. I saw the GI doctor today who didn't at all seemed phased by my normal u/s, he asked lots of questions, pressed around on my abdomen and said he definitely thought my issues were with my gallbladder and I need a HIDA, bloodwork, and possibly an scope to rule out ulcers. I asked him if he could hold out on the scope till we get the results back from the HIDA. He said sure, that he didn't think I had an ulcer, but sometimes the surgeons like to know that was done before they remove the g/b.

The way I would describe my pain/discomfort is like someone is clinching my side, or squeezing it. It's not the stabbing/knife pain I often see described and I don't think I've had any sort of *attack*. When the pain gets worse, it feels as though the big squeezing hand on my side is squeezing a little tighter. It often wraps around the back as well. When it gets bad, it can last for 1 day to 1.5 days and sometimes I go for an entire day with only mild discomfort from it. I never go all day without feeling it though. I also have never experienced any pain near my shoulder blades or chest that I often read about. The dr. told me this didn't matter.

Anyone ever experience anything similar to this? I am a little nervous about getting sick during the HIDA. My orders say =EF that the dr. wrote after the HIDA with his pen, does this mean they will use the CCK? Also, his nurse told me to come back for a follow up 2 weeks after the HIDA. Does it usually take quite that long?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2008, 08:32 PM   #2
(female)

peacefrog HB User
Re: New here, having a HIDA on Monday after negative ultrasound

I know the pain you describe. I think it feels like someone grabbed and twisted something in there. I'm to have a sonogram on the 4th, so will see, but dr thinks its gall bladder. Recently I've had the pain in the mid upper chest that wraps around to my back and tenderness around my navel. Its worse when I eat. No one has mentioned the HIDA scan. My GP sent me to a GI who did bloodwork,upper GI, small bowel follow thru, and a colonoscopy.That was before Xmas and I don't see him to discuss the results until March. (other than the "everything went well" after the scope). The pain was so bad last week I called the GP again and she got me right in. Why wouldn't the GI order a scan,I wonder. He did everything else! SIGH

Old 01-23-2008, 09:05 PM   #3
(female)

pinky3 HB User

I had a HIDA scan last October after a negative ultrasound. They did use the CCK (I think that everyone has that as it shows how the gallbladder responds to it). I felt very sick from it, but it only lasted a few minutes. Other than that, it wasn't too bad. I received the results later the same day from the "nurse" over the phone. She gave me the surgeon's phone number, and I called to make an appt. the next day.

I had the pain you described plus on and off right shoulder pain and diarrhea. I had no stones but a nonfunctioning gallbladder that was chronically infected according to the pathology report.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:15 AM   #4
(female)

LORILOVE HB User

My gallbladder pain was never a stabbing pain. It always felt like a BOA constrictor was wrapped around my rib cage sucking the life and breadth out of me.

One thing I have learned from talking with ohers is the attacks although similar can be quite different from person to person.

Lori

Old 01-24-2008, 04:16 AM   #5
(female)

LAwoman75 HB User

Thanks so much for the responses so far, I'm beginning to really feel that this is my gallbladder. I'm hoping that if the test shows something definitive that they'll call me instead of making me wait out the 2 weeks for the follow up.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:28 AM   #6
(female)

mizzaj HB User

Good luck with your HIDA on Monday, LAWoman75! I had mine yesterday. Sadly, I had to beg for it as my doctor doesn't think I have gb problems. I think he believes that because I haven't had stabbing pain (except for when this all started and I was still eating fatty food-- which I no longer do), it can't be my gallbladder. He said that even if the test comes out showing a low ejection fraction, he wouldn't recommend me for surgery. I guess now I just have to wait for the test results and see. I have had some rib pain on the side and the squeezing in the chest, plus it all started with increased belching and stomach discomfort, so I still think it could be my gb. I wish I had the doctors that some of you all on here have-- mine seems to think that gb pain only presents one way, which is frustrating!

Anyway, the test itself was fine. Other than making me wait two hours before they did the test (busy day there, I guess!), the CCK didn't make me sick or anything. Maybe a tiny bit of cramping and pressure in the gb/liver area, but nothing I couldn't handle. I was relieved, as I had heard that the CCK injection can make people sick-- even those without gb problems....so there ya go!

Again, good luck!

Old 01-24-2008, 06:39 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User

I had a 0% ejection rate, and the CCK did make me sick/cramp, but it only lasts a few minutes until they flush it out. However I was then sick off and on the rest of the week. My theory is my GB wasn't functioning but was doing OK until the CCK injection! It seemed to push it over the edge. They called me the next day to tell me the result and referred me to a surgeon. I had it removed a week later.

Mizzaj, I am glad you finally got a HIDA!

Old 01-24-2008, 06:53 AM   #8
(female)

LAwoman75 HB User

I've had a rough night and morning. I guess this is one of the bad days but about the worst yet. This morning it feels that I have a weight hanging from my side around to the back with some nausea. I soaked in a warm bath for a while and I *think* I feel a little better. I need to go get groceries but I can't imagine doing that right now. I haven't eaten since supper last night, so why so much pain/discomfort in the mornings? Anyone else? All I had was coffee this morning.

Last edited by LAwoman75; 01-24-2008 at 06:54 AM.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:14 PM   #9
(female)

LAwoman75 HB User

This mornings pain finally subsided and I was able to get some things done around here. It seems as though when it comes on, it's getting stronger and stronger each time. I can't imagine waiting 2 weeks after my scheduled hida on Monday to see the dr. I honestly can't take much more of that. I know I'm not alone here as most of you understand. Pain like that zaps a person quick.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:52 PM   #10
(female)

MaryG1959 HB User

I'm scheduled for my HIDA/cck on 7th February. My reg doc calls me to tell me my ultrasound was normal--only after my "prodding" does she tell me that maybe I should see my gastro.

So I'm going for my hida ....I too have pain (not a knife pain) under rib cage--radiates to back and even in the middle of my shoulder blades....especially after things I SHOULDNT be eating (like Pizza!)

They did say the ultrasound showed fat on my liver---anyone else have this???????

Old 01-26-2008, 02:37 PM   #11
(male)

mar35ca HB User

Pain in right side ribs, back and side. All kinds of blood-work and x-rays and everything is normal. Finally had an U/S Gallbladder on the 22nd of January but this came back normal. The DR. is sending me for an Upper GI and U/S on kidneys and CT Scan of my abdomen. The last two will take at least a couple of months to get an appointment - thats the great Canadian Health Care system for you.

I haven't really noticed a specific food making the pain worse however leading up the U/S I was eating a lot less and actually felt a little better. The last couple of days I said the heck with it and went a little over the top and have felt pretty crappy again.

Prior to the Gallbladder U/S I met with the surgeon and he basically said if the U/S comes back normal then the GallBladder is fine. I haven't met with him since so I don't know what he will suggest next.

This is very frustrating. I suggested a CT scan on ribs/back just in case there is something the x-rays didn't pick up but the DR said wait. I also asked about testing for H. pylori and she said wait to that as well. I don't understand why they do all this testing sequentially - especially when it can takes months to get certain procedures scheduled.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:24 PM   #12
(male)

Collector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB User

mar35ca, the ultrasound will pick up most large stones, but it may not pick up crystals, aka "sludge" which is the material that is used to form the stones. The second possibility is that the gallbladder is inflamed or is otherwise functioning at the less than full strength--this they cannot see from ultrasound or CT, etc.

The definitive test for gallbladder function is the HIDA scan with cck.

The sequential testing allows Dr's to rule out things as they go along, but sometimes one wonders about their logic. I know I went through upper endoscopy, colonoscopy, barium swallow, CT, MRI, and many other pleasantries before they focused on my gallbladder.

The right side rib pain is a classic sign of gallbladder disease, in my case it eventually spread to the left side also; had to sleep flat on by back for quite a while.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:58 PM   #13
(male)

mar35ca HB User

When the pain initially started I couldn't sleep on my back or right side. I can now sleep on my right side as well as the left and my front - but sleeping on my back always causes pain. Unfortunately, as of late, I've started to get mild pain in my left ribs. Trying to stay comfortable during sleep has become really difficult.

My pain in under/behind my right ribs. Sometimes it goes straight through to my back while other times it wraps around to my back. Its hard to pinpoint exactly where the pain is in my back since I can't touch a sore spot. It seems to move around - sometimes mid back and sometimes higher near my shoulder. In some cases it goes 1/2 way up my right side.

I've seen a number of GP's and now one surgeon. Each has a different opinion on what the "classic" gallbladder symptoms are. I definitely don't have attacks - just the constant aching and pains.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:03 PM   #14
(female)

LAwoman75 HB User

mar35ca, your pain sounds very similar to mine in regards to it wrapping around the back sometimes, and sometimes only on the sides. I had no idea that healthcare in Canada had such a wait time. That's terrible!

Old 01-26-2008, 07:16 PM   #15
(male)

mar35ca HB User

There are wait-times for just about everything. It took 6 weeks for me to get the Gallbladder U/S. That came back normal,so they scheduled U/S on my kidney - 8 weeks wait.

The argument with respect to Canadian Health care is that everyone has the same coverage and it is "free". Well, its not really free because we pay such high taxes to fund it. Even if I was willing to pay for an U/S or any other test so I could get the results sooner - I'm not able to do it unless I go to the US to get it done.

Closed Thread