It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2008, 07:36 AM   #1
(female)

mizzaj HB User
HIDA shows delayed gb emptying-- now what?

Hi all,

For those of you who have read my other posts, you know that I went through hell trying to get a doctor to give me a HIDA scan WITH a CCK injection (the first time they did it they didn't administer the CCK). I finally begged my new doctor, and even though he was reluctant, he agreed.

I had my HIDA Wednesday. On Friday my doc left me a message and said, "You definitely have delayed gb emptying, but given your circumstances, it's of little significance." He has never believed that my symptoms were gb related, and even said that if my HIDA came back low, he would NOT recommend surgery.

I don't know what my ejection fraction is but I hope he tells me. But I figure that since he said I definitely had delayed gb emptying, it must be below the 35% threshold. He thinks I have non ulcer dyspepsia. I feel that if my gb is not emptying well, it could definitely be the cause of my symptoms, but I'm not a doctor, so all I can go by is what I've read on these boards (that everyone presents differently) and the research I've done (which indicates a lot of symptoms as possible gb culprits.)

I don't know what to do next-- should I seek a second opinion? Should I just accept what he says and move on? If I have a sluggish gb, is there anything that can be done non-surgically to improve its mobility? I'm at a loss here....any advice is appreciated...

AJ

Last edited by mizzaj; 01-26-2008 at 07:36 AM.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:45 AM   #2
(female)

LAwoman75 HB User
Re: HIDA shows delayed gb emptying-- now what?

Wow, I'm thinking you should take those results to a new doctor. Is this a GI doctor or just a GP?

From everything I've been reading, a low functioning gallbladder does NOT get better and usually leads to further problems. It is usually enough for a dr. to refer you to a surgeon for g/b removal. My GI basically told me he wanted to expedite my tests because he feels my g/b needs to come out and I haven't even had the HIDA done yet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2008, 08:41 AM   #3
(female)

mizzaj HB User

The doc I saw is a GI. I'm not sure why he doesn't think my symptoms could be gb related. I think he believes that because I don't have intense pain, ranking 9 out of 10 on a self-assessed pain scale, that it must not be my gallbladder. I'm at my wit's end. I have wondered for a long time if my problem was gb related, and now that I finally have test results that demonstrate something is not right with it, I'm frustrated that my doc has totally dismissed it. I don't wanna give up on him yet, but he is kinda stubborn and not very open minded, so I can't imagine what kind of discussions we could have that would change his mind or at least get him to consider that the gb is a possibility. Uggh!

Old 01-26-2008, 06:41 PM   #4
(male)

Collector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB User

Now that they know that the gallbladder has delayed emptying, they may be interested to know why, before deciding what to do about it.

For example if you have stones, sludge or other growths that are partially blocking the duct out of the gallbladder it might be a different treatment than if the gallbladder is inflamed and needs anti-inflammatory drugs.

If you are on PPI's like Prilosec they might take you off as the PPI's can reduce gallbladder function.

It may also be possible that the "sensors" in the digestive system that send out the cck to the gallbladder telling it to squeeze out some bile are not working correctly or the gallbladder is ignoring the cck signals.

It is true that many people live with low level gallbladder issues for many years. It is also true that people can have multiple issues going on at one time.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:28 AM   #5
(female)

mizzaj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector167 View Post
Now that they know that the gallbladder has delayed emptying, they may be interested to know why, before deciding what to do about it.

For example if you have stones, sludge or other growths that are partially blocking the duct out of the gallbladder it might be a different treatment than if the gallbladder is inflamed and needs anti-inflammatory drugs.

If you are on PPI's like Prilosec they might take you off as the PPI's can reduce gallbladder function.

It may also be possible that the "sensors" in the digestive system that send out the cck to the gallbladder telling it to squeeze out some bile are not working correctly or the gallbladder is ignoring the cck signals.

It is true that many people live with low level gallbladder issues for many years. It is also true that people can have multiple issues going on at one time.
Thanks, Collector for your insight. I'm not on any PPIs, though I was on them for 6 weeks almost a year ago. I did test positive for gallstones, or "flecks" as they called them 10 months ago, but my previous two US's were negative. I wonder if I do have sludge that could be impairing the gb emptying, but hasn't shown up on the ultrasound. If the sensors in the digestive system aren't working properly to signal the gb to squeeze out the bile, what does one do for that? And I also wonder what would be done for inflammation. I've been on antibiotics for H Pylori-- would that have any effect on inflammation? I guess I'm just frustrated because I feel that my doc will just write it all off and not want to even discuss it-- it's too bad you're not my doc! At least you've brought up several possibilities and explanations for all of this! Thanks again!

Old 01-27-2008, 09:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Hi Mizz x was wondering where you had got too!!! Glad you had your scan what happens now? (lm trying manuka honey its only been a week but l do feel improvement ...fingers crossed) good to see ya again

Old 01-27-2008, 10:19 AM   #7
(female)

mizzaj HB User

Hey niecsey! Glad to hear that the manuka honey is working for you so far....did you give up on the apple cider vinegar?

Yeah, I'm in the same boat as before-- symptoms haven't gotten any better....not any worse, but no improvement. I keep hoping this will just "go away"-- I've talked to several friends who had undiagnosed stomach ailments that just eventually went away. I hope/wish that was my predicament, but as long as I continue on like this, I'll never know.

Dunno what happens now that my gb has shown slow emptying. Guess I have to discuss it with my doctor. I don't find him to be very reassuring though-- yet another doc who seems to be rather unsympathetic and takes the approach of, "Well, it's not life threatening and you're not dying!" Uggh. I'm going to ask him what my ejection fraction is. If it's really low, then I'm going to find out what he thinks I should do about it. Because if my gb isn't working, then something should be done I would imagine! I can't foresee it getting better on its own!

Thanks for keeping in touch...take care and I hope that the honey keeps working for you!

Old 01-27-2008, 10:51 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Mizz x lm hoping things improve big time with the honey!! Will give it a month hopefully that should be time to really see a difference ... however l do suspect l have fibromyalgia and stomach probs so lm told can go hand in hand with it!! I see my endo this week going to mention things to him lve been in so much pain with upper back muscles spasms and other pains that l think now is the time my docs should consider maybe this isnt all my thyroids fault... l have a hell of alot of the fibro symptoms so watch this space! Any way l gave up the acv after 2 days l didnt feel quite right..maybe that was due to something else but to be safe l stopped it... and decided to buy the honey ,first few days my stomach was really really noisy but it didnt feel as aggrivated like it does at times....lve also noticed l dont go to the loo twice a day (sorry) like l used too! I guess with the other stuff l have going on its hard to pinpoint one symptom to one cause never mind lm sure we will get where we want to be one day lol. Anyway lovely talking to you l still wonder how your getting on when l dont see you on here when l pop on. You take care and keep in touch xx ps lm still of the probiotics might introduce them again next week whilst taking the honey have you tried the honey? Take care xxx

Old 01-28-2008, 08:13 AM   #9
(female)

mizzaj HB User

My goodness, niecsey! You've got a lot going on, woman! Have they diagnosed you with fibromyalgia? Are you tired a lot of the time? Uggh! I really hope the honey works for you. It can't hurt, right?

All I know is that for me, I'm fed up with all of this. It frustrates me that my doc won't even *consider* that this might be gallbladder. He just assumes "non ulcer dyspepsia"-- which again, is frustrating, because nobody on these boards ever seems to write that their docs have come to that conclusion-- it seems like a cop out, and there is very little that can be done. And I've already done many of the things suggested-- like eating small frequent meals, staying away from fat and spicy things, taking time for meals, etc. So it's tough.....

Well, keep in touch and hang in there!

Old 01-29-2008, 12:43 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi ya no have not been dignosed with fibro it hasnt even been mentioned when youve a thyroid prob they tend to blame that for everything when there baffled!! Might go to see doc today feeling crappy lm fed up as you are its so frustrating feeling crap all the time well just a short reply will be in touch later x you take care Mizz xxx

Closed Thread