It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2008, 11:51 AM   #1
(female)

PibbleNibbles HB User
Nervous stomach?

I'll make this as short as possible....

Had my gall bladder out in March. Took over a yr from first symptoms to removal. Felt great right afterward. For several months now.... nausea, diarrhea, pain, tightening in my upper abdominal area, heartburn, BLOATING and sweating of all things. This comes and goes in severity. At its worse my weight will drop about 10lbs. At its best I am always suffering from the above symptoms but able to function as long as I know a bathroom is close!

I finally made a appt with the dr for this embarrassing problem when it was at its worst. My appt was yesterday and I am confussed. He said I have a nervous stomach and prescribed Amitriptylin and Welchol. First off...I am not depressed or have a cholesterol problem. I am 5'10" and when not "sick" weigh 150. I lost about 80lbs 2 yrs ago and have maintained it with out working out.....because I dont feel well and have NO ENERGY. My diet is VERY VERY low fat. Last time my cholesterol was checked it was around 100.

I filled the prescriptions and will be taking them. At this point I am willing to try anything. Has anyone else been given these med's for this problem? It took everything I had in me to go to the dr in the first place and discuss my embarrassing issue.

Old 01-26-2008, 12:42 PM   #2
(male)

eihcet HB User
Re: Nervous stomach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PibbleNibbles View Post
I'll make this as short as possible....

Had my gall bladder out in March. Took over a yr from first symptoms to removal. Felt great right afterward. For several months now.... nausea, diarrhea, pain, tightening in my upper abdominal area, heartburn, BLOATING and sweating of all things.
What have you tried besides the low fat diet to help? What have they checked you for? Are you taking any antacids or suppliments for bile-flow and digestion?

Good luck and hope you feel better!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2008, 07:05 AM   #3
(female)

PibbleNibbles HB User

I dont think they have checked for anything. They didn't even draw blood. He just prescribed the antidepressant and cholesterol pills. I've never had heartburn until after a exploratory surgery 2 yrs ago. At that time they thought I had pancreatitis. It was a ER dr that diagnossed it with blood work. 2 weeks later I had abdominal surgery and symptoms subsided. Then gall bladder started acting up. They said my weight loss and low fat diet could be the cause of the gall bladder going bad. I did NOT have gall stones.

I've tried antacids, over the counter and prescription. I added yogurt to my diet and I dont even like it, thinking it would help. I've stopped drinking coffee in the morning to see if that was the cause of the nausea/getting sick in the a.m. Stopped drinking soda to see if that would help.

When I went in I was BLOATED and pointed it out. He said "He doesnt see where I am bloated. My stomach is pretty flat." That let me know he doesn't know what I look like and what is normal for ME. I think my next step will be get a physical at my family dr. They will do blood work at least.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:11 PM   #4
(male)

eihcet HB User

Did they do any recent blood tests,another ultrasound, or an upper endoscopy, etc? There are plenty of things that can cause those kinds of problems (celiac's disease, ulcer, IBS, gastroparesis, cholangitis, etc. to name a few), so, you shouldn't be embarrassed to see your doc.

In the interim, I know you said you are eating healthy but sometimes folks develop allergies later in life (or notice the symptoms) which can cause all kinds of stomach and nerve system issues. So, have you tried eliminating certain types of foods to see if any are a problem, look up Celiac's diet and cut out Gluten products. Or cut out foods with Eggs, Dairy/whey/lactose, etc? Or all of the above. Then if / when things get a little better you can start bringing other foods back in.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:48 AM   #5
(female)

PibbleNibbles HB User

No they did NOTHING. Just talked to me and pressed on my tummy. My diet consist mainly of fruits and veggies. My diet hasn't changed in about 4 yrs, other than adding the yogurt.

I had the sonogram and endoscopy done in Feb of last yr before my gall bladder removal. Stomach was red and irritated but "ok" then. No blood drawn either.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:10 AM   #6
(male)

eihcet HB User

I had similar symptoms but haven't had my GB diagnosed / taken out yet. In addition to my previous post about other things it could be, I'm also reading up on Bile Reflux, check into it, it can also develop as a problem after GB Removal and if so, the bile could be backing into and irritating your stomach leading to the other issues. [url]http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bile-reflux/DS00651/DSECTION=3[/url]

If that's the case, you could try taking something to coat your stomach before eating (smaller more frequent meals) and give it a few weeks to see if conditions improve. Try staying upright for 30minutes+ after eating and maybe take a light walk too.

I've had very good luck the last couple weeks with stomach management using sugar free DGL Licorice capsules (chew x2 20minutes before meal, taste like crap though); I've also tried Mastic Gum capsules but can't really say if they helped. Both are believed to promote the stomach lining to heal and protect it from acid (plenty of info on them if you search). They can be (and frequently are) used with antacids to further improve conditions. As always, you should check with your doctor or pharmacist to make sure there are no interactions you need to worry about.

Last edited by eihcet; 01-28-2008 at 07:33 AM.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:28 PM   #7
(female)

michelle346 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PibbleNibbles View Post
No they did NOTHING. Just talked to me and pressed on my tummy. My diet consist mainly of fruits and veggies. My diet hasn't changed in about 4 yrs, other than adding the yogurt.

I had the sonogram and endoscopy done in Feb of last yr before my gall bladder removal. Stomach was red and irritated but "ok" then. No blood drawn either.
Hi, I'm having same symtoms, and this is right after my gallbladder removal last February. I just read on this forum that Magnesiums help alot with this, so I'm going to try it. Read some of the GERD topics. Hope you feel better.

Closed Thread