It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2008, 04:07 PM   #1
(male)

sven456 HB User
Just had GB surgery

I just had GB surgery on Mon Jan 21st and havent felt good since.I didnt have any stones but my gb was non functioning.I was constipated for 3 days and had diarhea for the next 2
I tried drinking a glass of milk and got such bad stomach pains 30 min later.I can eat pasta with sauce fine but cannot touch dairy.I never had a problem with dairy.Is this normal right after surgery?

Old 01-26-2008, 06:11 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Just had GB surgery

Ohmigosh! Didn't your doctor tell you NO FAT for a month??????? For crying out loud, I do not understand these people! NO FAT! Then introduce it SLOWLY back into your diet - like a small pat of butter on bread at one meal a day. Go really slow with it and you'll be fine.

And the constipation is from the pain meds.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2008, 06:36 PM   #3
(female)

LORILOVE HB User

Constipation is from the pain meds. Did the doctor tell you to take a fiber supplement?

I had dairy on day one with no problems. But everyone reacts differently. I have heard every possible scenario but most people within one week are feeling fine.

Hang in there. Eat low fat and test different foods to find what works for you. The most important thing for me was to get out and walk whenever possible.

Lori

Old 01-26-2008, 08:21 PM   #4
(male)

schristo HB User

I also had GB surgery on the 21st and am suffering your same symptoms. I have maintained a "no fat" diet, but am still constipated, in pain and unable to sleep. No fun!!

I am told that it just takes time. Regretably, I was not really well coached on what to expect after the surgery. Let me know how you progress.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:03 PM   #5
(male)

Gar2007 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven456 View Post
I just had GB surgery on Mon Jan 21st and havent felt good since.I didnt have any stones but my gb was non functioning.I was constipated for 3 days and had diarhea for the next 2
I tried drinking a glass of milk and got such bad stomach pains 30 min later.I can eat pasta with sauce fine but cannot touch dairy.I never had a problem with dairy.Is this normal right after surgery?
I would say it is normal. I had my GB taken on December 20, 2007. I had trouble eating until recently, but I still cant eat like I used to. I have a lot of gas and stomach cramping, especially after eating. I also have mild nausea after eating as well. My surgeon said I would get full fast until my body adjusts without a gallbladder, which takes 6-8 weeks! You'll be fine, just eat small meals and watch what you eat!

Old 01-27-2008, 08:30 PM   #6
(male)

sven456 HB User

Wow thanks for the replies.My doctor told my I might need a ERCP after all of this since that hyda scan also showed a very long delay from my liver to my intestine.And yes smaller meals are definitely filling now.I actually had a few potato chips today the first in about 3 months.They were delicious.

I was finally allowed to shower today (washcloth baths suck) and keep the bandaids off except the belly button one is still not healed.I still cant sleep on my side without my insides feeling like they are sloshing to one side.

Closed Thread