It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2008, 06:47 AM   #1
(female)

LAwoman75 HB User
Got my HIDA scan numbers

It says EF% after 20 minutes is 86% and after 30 minutes is 95%.

Well, so much for that. I'm so frustrated! Where will my GI go from here? I'm terrified of invasive procedures and was hoping the hida scan would provide some answers.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:54 AM   #2
(female)

mizzaj HB User
Re: Got my HIDA scan numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAwoman75 View Post
It says EF% after 20 minutes is 86% and after 30 minutes is 95%.

Well, so much for that. I'm so frustrated! Where will my GI go from here? I'm terrified of invasive procedures and was hoping the hida scan would provide some answers.
Hey LAWoman75,

That's so frustrating! I'm sure most people will say, "That's great! At least you know it's working!", but I can relate to the frustration of actually wanting these tests to be positive so you know what's wrong once and for all. I feel like we're on different sides of the same coin: your doc thinks you have gb problems but the tests haven't shown it. My doc thinks I don't have gb problems but the HIDA did show it. That leaves both of us in the same place: nowhere!

It is possible that you have sludge or small stones that the ultrasound didn't pick up. You could ask to have that repeated. Or ask for a CT scan. I've also heard of a barium X-ray which I'm going to ask for as well-- it shows the insides of your upper GI tract. Have you been tested for H Pylori? You should definitely get a blood test for that. I tested positive for that and went through the treatment. It didn't clear up my symptoms so it wasn't the culprit, but I know for some people it is (though it is very common and often doesn't cause any symptoms).

I know you're afraid of invasive procedures, but I had an upper endoscopy where they put a tube down my throat and took pictures of my upper digestive track and it was not bad at all. Seriously. It was so much easier than I imagined. And I was freaked out before it. No big deal at all. that would let you know if you have gastritis or any other upper digestive track abnormalities

Anyway, keep us posted and hang in there!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2008, 08:16 AM   #3
(female)

LAwoman75 HB User

I'm wondering though, does it mean anything for my numbers to be so high? Everything I've come across indicated a normal EF% is 35-75%. I may be grasping at straws here, but could higher numbers indicate a problem. Also, on another forum, someone mentioned to me the sphincter oddi thing (sp?). If there were any indication of that, would that have been noticed on a hida?

Old 01-29-2008, 08:24 AM   #4
(female)

mizzaj HB User

No idea about the high numbers. But it's definitely worth asking your doctor about. I don't know much about the sphincter of oddi dysfunction-- I've only heard that it's sometimes a post-surgery complication of the lap chole procedure. But I've seen it posted on the boards here-- definitely do a search and see what former threads you can find....

Old 01-29-2008, 05:31 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User

Quote:
I'm wondering though, does it mean anything for my numbers to be so high? Everything I've come across indicated a normal EF% is 35-75%. I may be grasping at straws here, but could higher numbers indicate a problem

I wonder if enterogastric bile reflux could be what's the root of your problem. I think it is the culprit in many of these cases where the cause is never found. I just recently had my GB removed but I think bile reflux is the problem. It too soon to tell if the low functioning GB was the cause and if removal is going to help, it's only been I week. Do some reading about EGBR and see if it matches your symptoms. The only problem is that from what I can find there's not a whole lot they can do for you and it's difficult to make a accurat diagnoses. Good Luck, I hope you find some relief.

Closed Thread