It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2008, 06:01 AM   #1
(female)

LAwoman75 HB User
Fatty food intolerances?

I've been saying all along, that my symptoms (possible gallbladder related) didn't seem to be brought on by what I ate. Well, after Saturday, I think I can say that it is affected by what I eat. After feeling pretty good all day, we went out for dinner. I had 2 hush puppies, salad with thousand island, fried catfish and shrimp, and a few fries........... and I paid for it. About an hour later, my stomach felt like it had a huge lead brick in it and to stand up was very uncomfortable. My right side had sharp shooting pains and I just felt like I wanted to throw up although I never did.

I usually don't eat large sized meals such as this, so maybe that's why I never saw a correlation? For those of you have had g/b issues, what does a fatty meal actually do to you?

Old 02-04-2008, 08:20 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Fatty food intolerances?

OK, Gallbladder 101. The gallbladder contracts to spew bile into your system to digest fats. It is triggered by the fats entering your digestive system.

If you have gallstones, when the gb contracts, it compresses down on the gallstones (they are porcupine looking things) and that causes the pain.

If you have a low ejection rate, the gb continues to try to eject enough bile but can't causing it to hurt.

Stop the fat intake!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2008, 05:23 AM   #3
(female)

LAwoman75 HB User

Right, but I had an ultrasound a few weeks ago that showed no stones and a hida scan with a 95% EF rate. I don't usually eat fatty foods like I did that evening and I doubt I eat it again until the doctors can figure out what's causing the pain.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:55 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Then it would seem the culprit is the fact that it was fried, not fatty...there is a difference! Perhaps your issue is GERD, an ulcer, gastritis, etc. But it would seem that the gb is fine.

Also, did you have bloodwork done? If so, was your billirubin high? That's an indicator of gb problems. If it was normal, then another reason to rule out gb.

Last edited by Titchou; 02-05-2008 at 06:57 AM.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:27 AM   #5
(female)

LAwoman75 HB User

Bloodwork was taken but I don't know if they checked that. I do not have indigestion, heartburn, burning in my stomach, or any other ulcer symptom. My symptoms are right side pain, nausea that comes out of nowhere usually in the evenings, and sometimes when I eat, it feels as though my stomach fills easily and takes hours to digest.

Last edited by LAwoman75; 02-05-2008 at 07:28 AM.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:50 AM   #6
(female)

mizzaj HB User

Hey LAWoman75,

Even though I have an ejection fraction of 7%, I still wonder if my symptoms are being caused by something else-- like I've mentioned, my doc thinks it's non ulcer dyspepsia...for which there really isn't any standard treatment-- great! Like you, I get a lot of abdominal fullness-- usually from not even eating much-- and a feeling that my food is taking a while to digest-- even though my gastric emptying study was normal. I've looked up symtpoms for just about everything in the book, and it's surprising how similar they all are (except the right sided pain you have-- which definitely seems like gallbladder). Anyway, you should do a search on gastritis. Your symptoms do sound similar to that.

Has your doctor suggested doing an ERCP for you? I think it's a more accurate way to look for stones or sludge that can't be found on an ultrasound, but it is invasive-- similar to an upper endoscopy, I think. Maybe you could ask about that?

It's frustrating, isn't it? I haven't eaten anything fattening or fried-- other than a bite or two of this or that-- for about a year. And though I should be happy that my ejection fraction is low, sometimes I don't think my symptoms are severe enough to be gallbladder-- or that things like abdominal fullness are indicative of gb troubles. It's all so baffling. Hang in there...

Old 02-05-2008, 10:01 AM   #7
(female)

LAwoman75 HB User

Mizza, yes, he said the ERCP is his next step but he only mentioned it to rule out ulcers, not to look for anything else. He said if I don't have an ulcer, he is referring me for gallbladder surgery. I don't want to do that until we have something more definitive. I've looked up ulcer symptoms, I don't match any of them. I've also looked up gastritis, and I'm afraid it doesn't fit either.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:25 AM   #8
(female)

mizzaj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAwoman75 View Post
Mizza, yes, he said the ERCP is his next step but he only mentioned it to rule out ulcers, not to look for anything else. He said if I don't have an ulcer, he is referring me for gallbladder surgery. I don't want to do that until we have something more definitive. I've looked up ulcer symptoms, I don't match any of them. I've also looked up gastritis, and I'm afraid it doesn't fit either.
Hmmm, I thought the purpose of an ERCP was to look for small stones, etc. Maybe they are just doing a regular Upper Endoscopy on you since that's what they do to look for ulcers or gastritis. Who knows? It's hard to keep these tests straight sometimes.

The weird thing about the symptoms for all of these different digestive problems, I've found, is that it often depends on what website you look at. They often contradict one another and they almost always say that "nausea and vomiting" are possible symptoms of ulcers, gastritis, dyspepsia, IBS, gallbladder, etc. I think that's one reason I'm so confused. All I have to go by is my low e.f.-- but like you, I'm not satisfied with that as a reason to get my gb out. I guess it's 'cause my doc isn't very reassuring. At least your's is, even if you're not convinced of it. My general practitioner does want to refer me to a surgeon, however, so at least I can talk to somebody and find out what he/she thinks.

I think you should ask for another ultrasound-- maybe even ask to have it done somewhere else by a different tech. I've heard that some facilities have better equipment and better techs. Maybe that doesn't make THAT much difference, but it's worth a shot. Good luck!

Old 02-05-2008, 10:41 AM   #9
(female)

LAwoman75 HB User

Thanks mizza. With my first appointment, the doctor mentioned endoscope, but when I talked with the nurse on the phone last week, she specifically said ERCP.The doc is out of town this week, so I haven't been able to schedule it yet.

It seems as though anytime I mentioned my situation, people keep mentioning GERD, ulcers, etc. I just don't have any of those symptoms. I guess if they do the ERCP, maybe it will provide answers to something. The doc just mentioned it for ruling out ulcers when I first met with him. The nurse even told me on the phone to try prevacid and I said "for what?", she said "for the burning"...... I don't have any burning!

Ughhh.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:42 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

April7 HB User

Actually I recently read an article somewhere on line that said that a very high EF rate isn't good. That it means overactive gb, which can cause troubles. Do a search for it. You might find something worth mentioning to your doctor.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-05-2008 at 11:13 AM. Reason: posted commercial websites

Old 02-05-2008, 10:44 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

April7 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzaj View Post
Hey LAWoman75,

Even though I have an ejection fraction of 7%, I still wonder if my symptoms are being caused by something else--

Mizza, honey, get it taken out! At least talk with your PCP and see what a surgeon has to say. I think this could be your problem honey.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:10 AM   #12
(female)

LAwoman75 HB User

I have looked into it. It seems as though some doctors think it's okay while others don't. It's referred to as overactive g/b, hypertonic g/b, hyperkinetic g/b or even hypermotile g/b. There is very little info on it, but I haven't been able to get any answers or talk to my dr. about it yet. All I know is he considered the test to be normal.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-05-2008 at 11:13 AM.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:26 AM   #13
(female)

mizzaj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by April7 View Post
Mizza, honey, get it taken out! At least talk with your PCP and see what a surgeon has to say. I think this could be your problem honey.
Thanks April for your support. The problem is, it's not as simple as it sounds. It COULD be my problem, but it also might not be. From what I've read, a lot of people do fine with low functioning gb's, as do people with gallstones. So it's not a given by any means. The surgery also has only a 50/50 chance of working and is highly controversial for those with acalculous gb disease (no stones) but a low ejection fraction-- as I have. It doesn't help that I've had two doctors tell me it's NOT my gb and rather non ulcer dyspepsia. And sometimes my symptoms aren't that severe and awful like I feel they should be. That could be because I eat low fat, small meals all the time, but who knows? I'm not about to test anything out with a fatty meal!

I am DEFINITELY glad that my primary care doc is referring me to a surgeon, however. I will see what that person has to say and really let them know all of my concerns, etc. As for my GI doc-- he thinks the ejection fraction is of little significance. All I can do now is tell him, "Okay, if you think it's non ulcer dyspepsia, then what do you plan to do about it?" We'll see if he can come up with anything that I haven't already tried...HA!

Thanks for letting me vent, and everyone's support, as usual.

AJ

Old 02-05-2008, 12:29 PM   #14
(male)

eihcet HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzaj View Post
That could be because I eat low fat, small meals all the time, but who knows? I'm not about to test anything out with a fatty meal!
I hate to ask, but, do you have regular stools when you are having symptoms and/or without? I've read that bile obstruction / slow release can cause yellow stools but not sure what the symptoms would be from overproduction.

I've been having yellowish stools but otherwise on a regular schedule. I haven't had my HIDA done yet (waiting for symptoms to return) and will be discussing with my Doc, but, as you said not a lot of info so just curious.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:17 PM   #15
(female)

mizzaj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eihcet View Post
I hate to ask, but, do you have regular stools when you are having symptoms and/or without? I've read that bile obstruction / slow release can cause yellow stools but not sure what the symptoms would be from overproduction.

I've been having yellowish stools but otherwise on a regular schedule. I haven't had my HIDA done yet (waiting for symptoms to return) and will be discussing with my Doc, but, as you said not a lot of info so just curious.
My stools have been normal this entire time...that's the one thing that hasn't changed during this whole process...strange!

Closed Thread