It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2008, 09:11 PM   #1
(male)

Jaws616 HB User
Question Frequent digestive pains

My girlfriend seems to have a problem that I am worried about. She claims this sort of thing has been happening to her for years (as long as she can remember).
She commonly gets an upset stomach/nausea it is triggered by a number of things, but most of them seem to be psychological. If she is over stimulated in any way this will usually cause problems for her stomach. Even happy moments like if I come home to her, when I have been away for an extended period. She gets so happy to see me she causes herself to be get nausea. It doesn't happen right away it usually happens after we have been together for a while and the initial excitement wears off. The same thing will happen for other feelings like worry, fear, and maybe anger. When she causes herself to get "sick" (as we call it) this way she doesn’t throw up she just can’t lie down for about 20 minutes while the feeling passes, or maybe more.
She also gets sick often for other reasons unrelated to her emotions. In these cases if we ate out that night she will blame it on "bad food". But realistically I am eating food from the same kitchen and she has gotten sick after eating at numerous different restaurants it seems unlikely that all these restaurants would cause her to be sick. In this case she sometimes will throw up, but other times if she tells her self nothing is wrong then she is ok. I am even sometimes able to talk to her and it seems to ease her worries and she will be fine in no time.
I know the way I have written this makes it sound like the situation is purely psychological, but her and I have discuss this and she agrees that it could be psychological. At the same time she can’t all ways make it go away and sometimes it comes up for no reason. It seems to vary in the degree to which it can affect her.

I was wondering if this sounds like something that she should see the doctor for or if it is curable. Insurance doesn’t cover regular visits so it can be expensive, if this just turns out to be nothing.

ohh also her Grandmother has this same sort of weak stomach, so maybe it could run in the family??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2008, 11:57 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

HasLPRD HB User
Re: Frequent digestive pains

My guess is a doctor would think it was entirely psychological and prescribe anti-depressants or anti-anxiety medication. This tends to be the trend in medicine now-a-days, for better or for worse. Her symptoms fit this diagnosis better than most though.

The doctor will probably call this "functional abdominal pain".

Mark.

Closed Thread