It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2008, 10:44 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jen52983 HB User
Celiac and Food Cost

Does anyone else get upset or angry while shopping for your Gluten Free products?!?

When I was first diagnosed with Celiac, almost 5 yrs ago, all I did was completely cut out everything I knew I couldn't eat. Over time I learned of places, like Whole Foods, that sell Gluten-Free products. It was nice to finally find something to replace the foods I had removed from my diet.

I find myself always buying the same list of groceries from these health food stores: rice pasta, rice bread, tuna with no additives, maybe cookies, waffles, and Amy's rice crust pizza.

It's great to see new products on the shelves, one's that I'd like to try just to have something new for a change, but when I look at the price tags I just get horribly discouraged or annoyed.

I recently found out that you can claim your speciality products on your taxes, which is great... but it doesn't really help me in the moment. I'm a 24 yr living on her own, supporting herself who can't regularly afford these things!! I only go "Gluten Free" shopping maybe once a month and try to spend as little as possible, usually amounts to $30-$40.00 on 5 or 6 things. I usually just shop at the local grocery store and buy what I know I can have, like Corn Flakes and Rice crispies, veggies and meat. But it's nice once in a while to be able to have a sandwhich again! At almost $6.00 a loaf it's a reeeaal special sandwhich! Anyone else feeling my pain here, or am I just complaining!!?

I'm just writing this to vent, to see how other's manage their expensive diet and for some support.

Thanks for listening

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2008, 11:05 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

morrisun HB User
Re: Celiac and Food Cost

I know what you mean, it is a real pain in the butt. I usually try to stick to "normal" foods that are naturally gluten free. However, I do buy a few things on a regular basis. Mainly Kinnikinnick bread, Amy's GF Mac & Cheese and Bette Hagman's Flour blend.

PCOS

Closed Thread