It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2008, 10:42 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User
Lactose Intolerant

I wonder if what I am now experiencing is lactose intolerance and how long I could be expected to have symptoms. I am 55 yrs. old- over the past 6 yrs or so I have noticed if I drink a full glass of milk- I would have some stomach upset- not too serious but not feeling good .
So, I would use 1/2cup water, 1/2cup milk for hot chocate.And generally have no issue if I just did this one time a day. Cheese or some milk in cooked items has not been a problem. Actually I hadn't thought I was lacto intolerant, I just thought milk upset my stomach. This past summer, I was trying to get my calcium through dairy products and like a fool started drinking 2 cups of milk a day. This brought on a massive bout of illness, that I thought may have been an intestinal flu or something. I didn't connect the dots and my doc did alot of tests for bacteria, parasites-nothing showed up , he didn't talk to me about dairy or lactose intolerance and I didn't bring it up.I would even have my milk each day. It took several weeks and alot of reading to put the pieces together. I had read if you do get a flu bug, it may possibly damage your stomach lining and you may become lactose intolerant and this may or may not be permanent. So, I got over the illness and had no milk for awhile. After several months of no issues and no milk, I decided to have a full cup of milk for hot chocolate (I just didn't think I was really lactose intolerant or maybe I would now be ok) and now I have been having diarrhea for 5 days. On day 2, I took a children's dose of immodium a/d and may again today. My question is , for those who know about lactose intolerance---Could one cup of milk 6 days ago, and no lactose since then except what little is in my yogurt, still be causing diarrhea?????????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2008, 11:09 AM   #2
(male)

eihcet HB User
Re: Lactose Intolerant

Quote:
Originally Posted by osteoblast View Post
My question is , for those who know about lactose intolerance---Could one cup of milk 6 days ago, and no lactose since then except what little is in my yogurt, still be causing diarrhea?????????
I've read that the onset of symptoms should be pretty quick but haven't seen how long they should last. I agree with you, I think, it would seem that maybe a day or so (since you didn't keep having milk products). Maybe it irritated your GI Balance again and something else you are eating is also causing the runs.

Sounds like you are already trying this, but, I'd cut back to real basic diet for a few days and see if conditions improve. Foods with Wheat/Gluten/Refined Sugars (sugar added) might want to be avoided while you work yourself back up. Stick to healthy foods, Fruits/Vege's/Rice/Water and add other stuff in when you feel a bit better.

Closed Thread