It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2008, 02:11 PM   #1
(male)

joebklyn HB User
Im sorry for the long post , but i really need some help

On January 15th I weighed 201lbs, I was weighed on a big digital scale in my former Drs Office (I was under alot of stress that week, no diarrhea, didn’t eat that much maybe once a day. I was drinking alot of water)

On January 22nd-23rd I weighed 196lbs , I was weighed on a sit down chair type scale in hospital (I was still under stress , just got off of zithromax , had diarrhea , was eating somewhat normally like I was) Looks like I lost 5lbs in 7 days

On January 24th I weighed in at 193lbs, I was weighed on a big digital scale in my former Drs Office (I was still under some stress, had moderate diarrhea, was eating somewhat normal, still drinking alot of water) Looks like I lost 3lbs in 24hrs

On January 29th I weighed in at 191lbs, I was weighed on a regular doctors office scale in my new Drs Office (under some stress, had moderate diarrhea, eating normal, drinking water still) Looks like I lost 2lbs in 5 days

On February 6th I weighed in at 188lbs , I was weighed on 2 different regular doctors office scales at Lincolns health center (under a little stress , no diarrhea, eating normal, drinking some water , a sprite here and there , and coffee in the morning) Looks like I lost 3lbs in 8 days

The reason I was under alot of stress the 1st week was due to an infection that I had that was called cat scratch disease. The ER Dr at st. marys diagnosed me with that on the 13th of January. I of course didn’t believe him when he said that to me. And when I went to see my former Dr on the 15th, he agreed with the ER Dr and said that’s what I got. Of course I still didn’t believe either of them. So on the 16th, I went for a second opinion at capital region ER. The ER doctor there agreed with my former Dr and the dude at st. marys, but she gave me zithromax to help fight off the infection. During that whole week, I wasn’t eating that much because of feeling depressed, and constant worrying over the situation. I was however drinking alot of water. During that week, I was having normal bowel habits like I always did until the 17th. On the 17th I had really bad diarrhea. I don’t know if it was because of the zithromax or not. I was eating again somewhat. On the 22nd I was having alot of pain in my upper right side of my stomach. I remember I passed gas that day, and I felt something come out. I thought I pooped my pants but I didn’t. What came out was clear looking mucus. I went to st. marys, and the Dr there scared the **** outta me saying weird things. They drew blood and had me take an x-ray of my stomach, plus a cat scan of my stomach. When the results came back, they noticed that my White blood cell count was at 20,000. This made them think that I had an infection somewhere. When the results of my x-ray came back, it stated that I had a non specific scattered bowel gas pattern. When the results of my cat scan came back it stated that I had some dilated loops of small bowel, no obstructions, nothing out of the ordinary except that it showed there was a segmental thickening of the sigmoid bowel. It stated that it was most likely due to poor distention. I was admitted that night for observation. I was released the next morning because my WBC dropped down to 11. I was told that I was supposed to have a colonoscopy. I saw my former Dr the next day on the 24th, and he cancelled the colonoscopy. I asked him why, he stated that there was no need for it. He said he spoke to the gastroenterologist, and that guy thought that maybe I have crohn's or Colitis, or IBS. So with all the it could be this or that, and him not wanting to investigate it further, I went to a new Dr. I saw him on the 29th. He stated to me that he's leaning towards IBS. I had an incident the other day with the mucus thing again when I passed gas. He is having me do a colonoscopy on the 12th. He stated still that he’s leaning toward the IBS thing cause of the mucus situation; supposedly it’s a common symptom. So yeah, im still a little worried. All 3 Drs, My Former Dr, the ER Dr, and my new Dr, agreed on one thing, that I shouldn’t worry about having cancer. What do you think is going on with me?

Heres the CT Scan results from the 24th of january

Abdomen/Pelvis CT (100mL Omnipaque 350)
History: Right-side upper abdominal pain
Technique: Axial images were acquired from lung bases to the symphysis pubis following the administration of IV contrast. Oral contrast was given prior to exam.

FINDINGS: The lung bases are clear. The liver is normal in appearance. The gallbladder is grossly unremarkable. The stomach, pancreas, adrenal glands, and kidneys are normal in appearance. The spleen is unremarkable. There are a few dilated loops of small bowel proximally but no evidence of obstruction. Contrast fills the colon. There is some apparent thickening of the bowel wall in the sigmoid. This is most likely due to poor distention. The areas of the sigmoid bowel which are filled with air demonstrate thin walls. There is no diverticulitis. There is no abscess or fluid collection in the abdomen or pelvis. No retroperitoneal adenopathy is identified.

IMPRESSION:
1. NO OBSTRUCTION, FREE AIR OR FLUID COLLECTION IN THE ABDOMEN OR PELVIS.
2. NO NEPHROLITHIASIS OR HYDRONEPHROSIS.
3. GALLBLADDER IS GROSSLY UNREMARKABLE. YOU MAY CONSIDER FURTHER EVALUATION BY ULTRASOUND IF CLINICALLY INDICATED.
4. APPARENT SEGMENTAL THICKENING OF THE SIGMOID BOWEL PROBABLY DUE TO POOR DISTENTION. NEVERTHELESS, CLINICAL CORRELATION IS RECOMMENDED.

Last edited by joebklyn; 02-11-2008 at 02:13 PM. Reason: updating

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2008, 06:31 PM   #2
(female)

sapphire12112 HB User
Re: Im sorry for the long post , but i really need some help

Joebklyn,
Since no one has responded, just wanted to log on and let you know that I feel for you and your frustration with this! I have no answers, but it's a good thing you are staying on top of this and trying to find answers. Hope you have searched the web for similar symptoms and that you find something, either online, or with one of your doctors, to give you some solid concrete answers to this. I would love to lose some weight, but what you're talking about would be a bit worrisome... Anyway, good luck with your search. If you had the colonscopy on the 12th, hopefully you have some answers by now. Please let us hear from you. Best Wishes, Sapphire12112

Old 02-15-2008, 05:24 AM   #3
(female)

boz HB User
Re: Im sorry for the long post , but i really need some help

Hi,
Cat scratch fever as its known in the U.K. is fairly common. Antibiotics do the trick.
Your test results show everything is O.K. nothing to worry about.
Are you drinking too much, & not eating enough. ????
If the solid contents of the bowel are small then fluid will wash straight through.
You can expect to lose weight.
Ease up on the liquids.
Your diarrhoea was most likely to have been started by the antibiotics.
Try not to fret so much. Worry is a funny thing, it can cause all sorts of problems. Problems where there are none.
Good luck.

Closed Thread