It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2008, 10:18 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

April7 HB User
For those with indigestion or stomach "burning"

Hi all. I've been dealing with chronic indigestion type pain since October (which *may* be chronic cholecystits--i.e. a bum gallbladder). I've had many negative test results and am seeing a new GI on March 3rd. I have recently found some relief I would like to share.

I was on Protonix twice per day and still felt bad. Nexium twice per day, which is essentially the same kind of drug, made me feel 100 times better. So if you're on one and it's not working, ask about trying the other. I've heard this to be true for many people, where one will work and one won't.

Low fat diet. And I mean really low fat. I eat less than 3 grams of fat per meal. I also eat frequently. I never let my stomach get empty. It has made a HUGE difference in how I feel. I don't have those attacks of GB-type pain I was having before. The chronic indigestion is lessened too.

Green Tea with Mint! I am not a health conscious person or holistic medicine person or anything like that. Out of desperation I tried 1 cup of decaf green tea with mint per day, and after 3 or 4 days I noticed I felt better in the stomach. Mint supposedly helps the belly. Also the reduction in caffeine helps if you usually have a lot.

Ginger. I read that candied ginger helps. Again, out of desperation I started having a small piece each morning. I actually felt worse. It's supposed to help with indigestion. However, if the indigestion is caused by GB issues, it supposedly makes you feel worse. This may be a wives tale, I'm not sure. But I did feel worse. Supposedly it messes with the production and movement of bile and makes the GB feel worse if it doesn't work right.

And finally, I haven't received it yet or tried it, but I ordered some Aloe Vera Juice. 2 ounces per day is supposed to heal the stomach after 30 days. Just like it helps heal the skin, basically. I ordered Georges which is supposed to be tasteless and seem like water. I'll let you know how it goes. I've heard great things. If someone bleeps out the brand name, just search for tasteless aloe vera juice and you'll find it. Do some research about the benefits of it. I've heard it's great for gastritis suffers those with GERD.

I usually don't try these alternative approaches but like I said, I'm desperate and I'm in pain. And some of them are working. If I find anything else that helps I'll let you know.

Last edited by April7; 02-15-2008 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2008, 12:10 PM   #2
(male)

eihcet HB User
Re: For those with indigestion or stomach "burning"

Quote:
Originally Posted by April7 View Post
Hi all. I've been dealing with chronic indigestion type pain since October (which *may* be chronic cholecystits--i.e. a bum gallbladder). I've had many negative test results and am seeing a new GI on March 3rd. I have recently found some relief I would like to share.

Ginger. I read that candied ginger helps. Again, out of desperation I started having a small piece each morning. I actually felt worse. It's supposed to help with indigestion. However, if the indigestion is caused by GB issues, it supposedly makes you feel worse. This may be a wives tale, I'm not sure. But I did feel worse. Supposedly it messes with the production and movement of bile and makes the GB feel worse if it doesn't work right.
I also didn't have much success with ginger, it seemed hit or miss can't say if it was just me or the ginger, so, guess it's worth a shot still. I bought some capsules and taken after a meal they seemed to help but later I'd still get burning. Protonix was really bad for me, and reading up on PPI's they can cause the GB to function less efficiently (reduce bile output) so they may actually make the underlying condition worse (if that's the root cause).

I did much better when I switched to Pepcid AC for about a month, afterwards I weaned myself off and I've been using DGL Licorice Pills. Chew recommended dosage 20mins before meals and they coat your stomach and intestines to protect from too much acid. Have to have them before each meal, but, I actually do ok taking once before breakfast and once before dinner. I've been able to be off them for a few days here and there too, but lately I feel a little off again and have been taking them as a precaution.

Also, thanks for your post, really helps to see how others are doing and what they've had success with!

Last edited by eihcet; 02-15-2008 at 12:12 PM.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:22 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

As to the ginger, you should be chewing fresh gingerroot - not candied or capsules - for stomach problems. Most grocery stores have it.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:05 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

April7 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
As to the ginger, you should be chewing fresh gingerroot - not candied or capsules - for stomach problems. Most grocery stores have it.
I've heard that candied is ok but will not work as effectively as fresh (of course). But do keep in mind, I've heard that it causes the gallbladder to go into a bit of overdrive, so if you have gallbladder problems you may want to stay away from ginger.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Personally, I don't find things truly "natural" to ingest like ginger and mint and green tea as really "alternative". Aloe vera - since noone in their right mind would want to ingest such a thing for any reason, certainly not pleasure, I'd consider "alternative".

Old 02-22-2008, 06:54 PM   #6
(male)

bobber HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eihcet View Post
I also didn't have much success with ginger, it seemed hit or miss can't say if it was just me or the ginger, so, guess it's worth a shot still. I bought some capsules and taken after a meal they seemed to help but later I'd still get burning. Protonix was really bad for me, and reading up on PPI's they can cause the GB to function less efficiently (reduce bile output) so they may actually make the underlying condition worse (if that's the root cause).

I did much better when I switched to Pepcid AC for about a month, afterwards I weaned myself off and I've been using DGL Licorice Pills. Chew recommended dosage 20mins before meals and they coat your stomach and intestines to protect from too much acid. Have to have them before each meal, but, I actually do ok taking once before breakfast and once before dinner. I've been able to be off them for a few days here and there too, but lately I feel a little off again and have been taking them as a precaution.

Also, thanks for your post, really helps to see how others are doing and what they've had success with!

DGL is also a healer for the lining of your esophagus.

Closed Thread