It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2008, 10:34 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

April7 HB User
Low Fat Diet Tips for You Guys!

Hey all. I don't know about any of you who are on a lowfat diet, but I'm having a hard time keeping weight on. I was 120 in October. Now I am barely 100. I don't know why this is not alarming to doctors, but it should be. So, for those of you on low fat diets do you have any tips to prevent weight loss? Or tips to help keep us healthy? I worry about protein consumption. I also worry about not getting enough essential fats. My period stopped the first month when I lost 10 pounds in the first 2 weeks of being very ill. I know my body needs more nutrition than it is getting.

For protein, I eat lowfat cottage cheese.

For meats, I buy skinless, boneless chicken breast. To me, it's terribly boring and I hate to eat it. So I use a fat free mayo (or mustard) and some nice big bulky rolls with lettuce and tomato slices. I toss the chicken on an electric grill and 10 minutes later I have a chicken sandwich. It seems like I'm cheating and not eating something that is low fat.

Also for meat, try bison (buffalo). I don't know the manufacturer, but near the beef in my grocery store I found some bison steaks packaged in a blue box by some national company. It was $7 or so for 2 six ounce steaks. The steaks were 2 grams of fat per steak. It was the first red meat I ate in 5 months. I only ate half the steak at first just to be sure my tummy could handle it and it ended up being fine. It was amazing. I cooked it on an electric grill as well. I am in LOVE with my foreman grill. It did not taste like anything other than a succulent beef steak. It was so amazing.

I have heard that the same co. that puts out the bison steaks also has ground bison and stew meat. So if you find that, you may be able to do bison burgers or bison soups/stews. One more food that is low fat and adds some nutrients to your diet.

I also do a ton with white wine. Mixed with chicken broth, garlic and maybe a touch of flour to thicken it, it makes a great sauce. You can make many sauces with wines. And since you're just cooking with it you can get away with buying the cheap wines. What's also good is marsala wine mixed with chicken broth. Mix in chicken and mushrooms and serve over pasta. It's the best.

How about a delicious dessert? Angel food cake is fat free. Top it with strawberries and fat free whip cream. It was my fiance's birthday cake 2 nights ago and he did not know it was fat free. He thought I was simply doing something different.

Does anyone else have any other tips? Its so, so hard to eat low fat and still feel normal. I miss my foods. It's so hard! So I love sharing tips and getting ideas from others.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2008, 12:01 PM   #2
(male)

eihcet HB User
Re: Low Fat Diet Tips for You Guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by April7 View Post
Hey all. I don't know about any of you who are on a lowfat diet, but I'm having a hard time keeping weight on. I was 120 in October. Now I am barely 100.
I'm not sure what my stomach issue is/was, think it's GB but not diagnosed. I've been on healthy / low fat since november. I was having trouble with loosing weight (159 -> 136 but have managed to not lose any more the last 2 weeks. I haven't really been able to eat enough to gain either though (just not hungry enough). I was able to stabilize recently by adding/eating various nuts which so far haven't caused any issues. Definitely not a solution for everyone but if you can tolerate them maybe worth a try?

Old 02-18-2008, 09:12 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

April7 HB User
Re: Low Fat Diet Tips for You Guys!

I've been thinking of adding nuts to my diet in really small doses to give it a try. I, too, keep losing weight (stable for 2 weeks now but still 20 pounds lighter than I was in November). I would like to at least stop losing weight, and then eventually start gaining some back. Anyhow, I have noticed that the KIND of fat I eat plays a huge difference. On Friday night I was doubled over in pain from cheating on my diet. My fiancee was eating some tortilla chips with a spinach/cheese dip. I had 3 tortilla chips with a small amount of dip on each. Based on the fat in the chips and dip, I'm guessing it was about 2-4 grams of fat. And I was really in a lot of pain about 45 minutes later. So bad I almost went to the ER in fact. It was horrid. But, I can eat one of those Lean Cuisine meals in a pinch that has 5 or 6 grams of fat and be perfectly fine. So I think it's the "quality" of the fat too, whether it's saturated or not, whether there's any trans fat, etc. Nuts is on my list of things to try. I just want to try things slowly, you know? I'm a bit scared of the pain.

Oh, had some bison steak last night. It was heaven. Seriously, if you're on a restricted diet and you also like red meat, try it. It's really good and it makes me feel 100% normal when I eat it.

Also, they make a "buttery spray" called I think Olivio. It's fat free and it's by the butter in the supermarket. It does not taste as good as butter or margerine, but I sprayed some on a baked potato and it was decent. At least gave me a new flavor, you know? I'm so tired of most foods because I tend to eat the same thing over and over and over again lately.

Closed Thread