It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2008, 01:18 PM   #1
(female)

memsie j HB User
never thrown up. ever.

heres my problem, as juvenile as it may sound. i have never thrown up. i am 20, and while im sure that i did when i was a baby, i have nbot thrown up and remembered it and so i have no idea whats its like. when i was 10, i realized that this wasnt normal and i developed a phobia of vomiting that has consumed my life since. i am considering just trying to get it over with, but i dont know what to expect, i dont understand how people are so ok with it, so non chalant about it. i know all this sounds strange, if anyone has any words of advice that would be greatly appreciated.
i need to resolve this because, ironicly, phobias and anxieties really affect ones digestive tract so in all my fear of throwing up i have also had chronic and constant stomach aches for as long as i can remember. i get anxious about getting sick, and the anxiety gives me a stomach aches which makes me more anxious and well you can see the cycle i deal with.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2008, 02:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User
Re: never thrown up. ever.

I don't think that is strange at all. I'm 43 and the same way. I've done it maybe once or twice as far as I can remember but it was only because my body did it very forcefully. They say you feel better after when you are sick. I guess it relieves pressure or something. Even when I was pregnant through 4 months of morning sickness never did it. Just walked around in a severe state of nausea. So it is probably not as strange as you think.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2008, 11:49 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I know lots of people who have never needed to vomit. So that part is not unusual. The problem is - you THINK it's unusual and have now turned that into being afraid something will happen if you do. Seriously, a lot of people go their entire lives without doing so - except for when a baby! Be glad you've never had something so bad you had to vomit!

Old 02-18-2008, 01:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Wow, I'd be grateful!

Seriously, it is unusual, but it's not "bad". There's nothing wrong at all with not having experienced some illness.

Just realize that like everything else, if it ever comes to that, you'll know it and it'll happen, and will be over with (well, usually within a couple days).

No, it's NOT fun at all (I never understand why people love drinking and getting drunk - I don't consider barfing a fun thing, either to do myself or see others do; invariably someone at a "party" is going to barf). But, it just happens, like nose congestion and coughing fits. In many cases, it's a necessity to get rid of germs and poisons before they are digested and REALLY mess you up. Just try to think of it that way.

As for "making you feel better" - don't buy that. If you are really sick, it won't make you feel better; only time will. Trust me and the many who tried that theory. Maybe if you are stuffed to the gills, yes, it would relieve pressure and so on (but I've never considered that worth it!). Maybe if you had poisoning - but I've generally heard even poison (vs. germs) still needs several days to get your body better.

Oh, I just realized - you may be scared partly because you don't know what "pre-vomiting" feels like.

I've pretty much run the gamut of stomach issues. When I was a child I had my share of vomiting - and since I didn't have much other experience, I thought every gas pain meant I was going to throw up! I was virtually paranoid about vomiting for quite a while. But since I've been through many stomach "upsets", including vomiting, I pretty much don't get concerned any more. I know what all the feelings are! Very rarely, maybe every 5 years or more, I get the "you're going to throw up" feeling. The last 2 times I managed to get over it without vomiting or even getting sick in the real sense at all. I'd lie very still and rested and got over it in a few hours. Otherwise, I know gas, strains, stress, heartburn, gastritis, everything. Just because you have some kind of stomach irritation doesn't mean you're going to throw up. And generally, as you get older, you simply don't get those bugs as much. Now you're even LESS likely to throw up! I think it's been about 15 years since I threw up (and I DO count "dry heaves" - you ARE throwing up; there simply isn't anything to expel).

Old 02-25-2008, 06:48 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

JB327 HB User

well I've had surgery for reflux that now prevents me from throwing up, and I remember for months after I was so worried about doing it and possibly breaking my wrap, that the doctor just told me "Just let your bodies natural functions run their course, because if you fight it, or stress it, it will make it worse"..

that line really helped me, and as time passes it seems to help more.. I hope this post may help you some...

Old 02-25-2008, 09:20 PM   #6
(female)

memsie j HB User

haha a surgery that prevents you from throwing up? sounds too good to be true!

Old 02-26-2008, 02:13 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

JB327 HB User

lol...not really, I thought so too before I had it.. When you get sick, there's no relief, you just have dry retching, and it really hurts....

Closed Thread