It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2008, 05:00 AM   #1
(female)

kim333 HB User
Weight loss

I have gallstones so to avoid pain after eating i have cut fat almost 100% out of my diet, i dont cook with oil, i dont eat dairy or eggs or anything else that isnt atleast 97% fat free. When i gave birth to my son 7 months ago i was 211 lb and since then i have dropped to 160 lb! Which is around 1.8 lb per week! I am 179cm tall aswell so am reasonably slim now.To me that doesnt sound normal.. im not a huge exerciser, me and my partner try to go for walks when we can and i am running around after a 7 month old all day along with a bit of sleep deprivation but should i be worried? Could all this cause the weight loss that i have been having and if so how do i stop it, i am going to waste away if i keep dropping it at this rate but i cant eat any fats or anything until my gallbladder is out.. Any tips or advice on what is going on would be great.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2008, 07:35 AM   #2
(male)

eihcet HB User
Re: Weight loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim333 View Post
160 lb! Which is around 1.8 lb per week!
I was loosing about .5lb /day when I was on my no-fat diet. [Edit] I was only doing no fat as I tried to help diagnose my problem. I later had an ultrasound that showed I don't have any gallstones. I haven't had HIDA done yet but I believe I have sludge/dysfunctional GB. As said above, we all need some fat to be healthy so I've been taking in more (safe / healthy) fats again to try and maintain. You should, of course, avoid saturated fats and transfats, but, supposedly mono and poly fats are ok in moderation. I've had good luck with adding olive oil to various foods. [/edit] I assume you already are eating brown rice & plain potato's ? Only so much you can eat each day...
when are you schd to have the GB out?

Last edited by eihcet; 02-17-2008 at 03:10 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
(female)

LORILOVE HB User

It is not healthy to cut out fat completely. Your body needs healthy fats to function properly. There are some nutrients that are fat soluable which means they need fat to be properly absorbed.

Are you logging your food and actually tracking the % of calories from fat and the sources of the fat.

My gallbladder attacks were not necessarily caused by food but a higher then normal fat day would definitely set it off. I kept my fat to about 20% on total calories of 1400.

What is delaying the gallbladder surgery?

Lori

Last edited by moderator2; 02-17-2008 at 03:20 PM. Reason: posted commercial websites

Old 02-17-2008, 04:53 PM   #4
(female)

kim333 HB User

Thanks for your replies, i have tried adding more fats to my diet but i get extreme pain from any fat content at all, well actually its more food in general, which has led to a huge loss of appetite now. Still got a week and a half wait for my appointment with a surgeon as there was a huge waitlist. Then i have to be put on the list for surgery, hopefully wont take too long as i really cant handle this much longer!!

Old 02-18-2008, 10:23 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

April7 HB User

I posted a few ideas in another post about low fat diet tips. There may be a few ideas in there. I am in a similar situation with you. I have gone from 120 pounds in October to 101 pounds today. The first month I lost the majority of my weight, about 15 pounds. Since the beginning of December I have hovered around 104, and then slowly went from 104 to 101. I suspect that at some point in the future you'd reach your plateau where you slow down on the weight loss. I did, and many others have, so hopefully you will too. There comes a certain point where your body says enough is enough and it starts to prevent you from losing weight as best it can. I think that's where I'm at now.

Anyhow, try eating things with calories in them. As a snack, try a protein shake. Eat lots of boneless, skinless chicken breast because it's low in fat (and has tons of protein for you). Some dairy may be okay, I am fine with cottage cheese and milk so long as they're low fat. Same with yogurt. Try eating a few nuts. Just introduce them slowly into your diet. Try snacking on things with higher calories. Pretzels are fat free or low fat but heavier on the calories than you'd expect. Eat all the time. You just need to keep putting that food in your mouth when you're not hungry. Instead of 2 or 3 meals a day, eat 5 small ones. Snack all the time. I cannot believe how much I eat. It's low fat so I get hungry much sooner than I used to. In the beginning I had to force myself to eat snacks. Now I can't stop, and thankfully, too! If I wasn't snacking my weight would drop even more.

Good luck. Why the waiting list for surgery? Socialized medicine? I suppose it's not relavent but I'm curious. We here in the US don't have to wait like that typically. However, we also pay a ton if we get sick, so I suppose with everything there's a big trade-off.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:32 PM   #6
(female)

kim333 HB User

Thanks for the tips april7, we have a public system over here where we dont need private health insurance and we dont need to pay a cent for hospital cover, the gov't funds it all. However it means that we have a waitlist, when my surgeon books me in for surgery it depends what places are available at the hospitals, and since i dont pay for private health insurance it could be anywhere for a 1 week wait to a few months im hoping its closer to a week but we will have to see.

Closed Thread