It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2008, 09:17 PM   #1
(female)

smitd03 HB User
Any experience with bloated/full feeling?

I have developed some type of digestive dysfunction following gall bladder removal 10 years ago. In addition, my appendix ruptired 2 years, so I am just this side of a digestive "mess". My most major complaint is a bloated, full feeling for hours after eating. I don't eat very much, but feel extremely full afterwards. I will have a small lunch around noon (stuffed afterwards naturally) and will feel full (sometimes kind of an upset stomach feeling) until nine or ten at night. Sometimes I may not be able to eat again until the next day. Had just about every GI test there is; results all negative. At 5'8" and 103 lbs, I would appreciate any suggestion. Thanks!

Old 02-19-2008, 10:34 AM   #2
(female)

mizzaj HB User
Re: Any experience with bloated/full feeling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitd03 View Post
I have developed some type of digestive dysfunction following gall bladder removal 10 years ago. In addition, my appendix ruptired 2 years, so I am just this side of a digestive "mess". My most major complaint is a bloated, full feeling for hours after eating. I don't eat very much, but feel extremely full afterwards. I will have a small lunch around noon (stuffed afterwards naturally) and will feel full (sometimes kind of an upset stomach feeling) until nine or ten at night. Sometimes I may not be able to eat again until the next day. Had just about every GI test there is; results all negative. At 5'8" and 103 lbs, I would appreciate any suggestion. Thanks!
I can relate, smitdo03. I do know that I have a low functioning gallbladder as shown by a HIDA scan I had done three weeks ago. But one of my biggest complaints is feeling full and bloated for so long after I've eaten no more than 300-400 calories. It's centered in my upper ab region. I've had this problem for a year, but I swear, it got worse after a 6 week course of Protonix. The doctors just tell me that I have non ulcer dyspepsia. They have dismissed my gb as the cause of my symptoms, but I don't know.

Has your doctor ever mentioned non ulcer dyspepsia-- which is essentially indigestion of a non-organic cause, hence why your tests would show up normal. Have you had a gastric emptying test? Perhaps food is staying in your stomach for too long-- have they prescribed you Reglan to help with the fullness and nausea? (Though I heard it's a crappy drug with lots of side effects). Or maybe an anti-spasmodic such as Levsin or Bentyl? Worth a try....

I can relate to your frustrations. I eat small, low fat meals and STILL have problems! not awful, mind you, but I wonder how much worse they'd be if I did eat heavier, richer, larger portions. You may want to consider trying a well studied herbal supplement called Iberogast. It didn't do much for me, but it's worth a shot. Look it up online and see what you think.

Good luck! I hope you can find some answers....otherwise, I'd recommend seeing a Homepathic doctor or an acupuncturist. These are the roads I'm going down now that the docs have told me i have non ulcer dyspepsia-- because not much can be done for that with traditional medicine-- other than the things you're probably already doing.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2008, 05:41 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

JB327 HB User

OMG, this sounds just like me!.. I'm 5'7" and now 117, and that's pretty low for a guy, I used to weigh 145+, less than 8 months ago..

I started measuring what I ate to see how much I could actually hold, and it was like 1 cup! nothing more, and I felt so full I wanted to do anything NOT to have that feeling again.. I eat maybe 1 sandwich, some chips, and 1 to 1¬Ĺ glasses of fluid for an entire day and I just can't hold any more, and once I get full, I'm not hungry 2-3-4, etc hours later..

I've had almost every GI test as well, and all came back normal.. I am scheduled for the GI emptying test Wednesday, but I doub they'll find anything.. I used to not have this problem until about 6+ months ago..

I didn't have the gallbladder or appendix problems, but I suffered from acid reflux for years, and had the Nissen Fundoplication back in August, and since that surgery my weight has been going down and down..

I really hope you find an answer, I know what it's like to get full/bloated and be losing weight like that..

Old 02-27-2008, 12:59 PM   #4
(female)

rebecca197334 HB User

I'm with all of you. I used to love eating, but since my last baby, and a bout with post pardum, I now can no longer enjoy food. I get angry because i can't enjoy food. Everything taste too salty and stays with me way too long. I don't get hungry, I just eat again because I realize that i forgot a meal. It should be a wonderful thing, but that bloated feeling is so aweful. It stays with me. I am concidering a gluten free diet. My son was diagnosed with gluten intolerence. I know that my gallbladder does not chop food up right. But I never had it removed. Other than that, I should be healthy, but lately a lot of heartburn and indigestion, and gas and cramping that feels bad all day. I feel like i hardly eat, and healthy at that, to feel so bad. I've read it could be gluten, wheat apparently is hard to digest. Other than that i don't have a clue what's going on.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

Could I ask anyone here, could gallbladder mulfunction show up any abnormal in blood test? I suspected my gallbladder too but the GI and GP doctor ignored me........ I am very miserable. I cry everyday.....

Old 02-28-2008, 02:10 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User

It won't likely show up in a blood test. I had a cat scan and ultrasound in which it appeared normal, but the HIDA scan showed it not functioning, at all! HIDA scans are probably the only accurate way to test for a nonfunctioning gallbladder, those with stones though, can be detected with the other scans.

However, removing a gallbladder is not always the answer. Look into options once you determine it is your gallbladder.

Mine is gone now, yet I still bloat/burp, etc.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:34 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

Do you need to get jaundice stage then can diagnose?

Closed Thread