It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2008, 10:39 AM   #1
(female)

mizzaj HB User
Strange Question: Pulsing in stomach area

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've posted, but I wanted to see if any of you have noticed a similar problem. A few weeks ago, my boyfriend commented that he could feel my stomach "pulsing"-- kinda like there's a heartbeat down there. It's not painful or even paricular distracting-- just peculiar to me. I thought maybe it was a good thing because it means that blood is being directed to my stomach area to aid in digestion, but I don't honestly know. I've only noticed this for the last month or so....I can see the stomach area "pulsing" the way you can sometimes see your heart pulsing in your chest. It's very weird. Has anyone else noticed this?

Old 02-19-2008, 02:06 PM   #2
(female)

boz HB User
Re: Strange Question: Pulsing in stomach area

What you can feel is perhaps the abdominal section of the aorta.
I have the same sort of thing. Most times its nothing to fret about, but just to be safe get it checked out with your Doc. Just a quick exam of the tummy area or at the most a chest x-ray.

Last edited by boz; 02-19-2008 at 02:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2008, 09:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

I have that too but I thought it had something to do with my gastric bypass surgery. When I was recently in for my stomach problems and the doctor was feeling around she mentioned she could feel my pulse there. She did not seem concerned.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:30 AM   #4
(female)

Annalie100 HB User

I have this - and I keep mentioning it to my husband but stomach is painful all the time at the moment - can this mean something serious then?

Old 02-20-2008, 04:08 PM   #5
(female)

mizzaj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by boz View Post
What you can feel is perhaps the abdominal section of the aorta.
I have the same sort of thing. Most times its nothing to fret about, but just to be safe get it checked out with your Doc. Just a quick exam of the tummy area or at the most a chest x-ray.
Thanks, boz. That's what I was told as well by a nurse friend of mine-- that it's the ab section of the aorta. She didn't seem concerned, but I just wonder if there's a reason for it to "act up" when it previously wasn't pulsing before. I will ask my doctor when I see her next. Hopefully it is nothing to fret about. I don't have any pain associated with it-- and maybe I'm just fixating on it now that I've noticed it! Who knows...I hope the rest of you aren't worried about it. I'm not for the most part....just a bit intrigued, perhaps.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I just had an ultrasound just for that reason and it was normal. I had a mylegram started last month but when I was placed on my stomach I complained about it hurting and pulsating. A minute later I fainted so the test was stopped. Last week I saw a spinal surgeon and mentioned to him my concern about being on my stomch during back surgery and what had happened. He then felt my aorta and then had another dr push down on it. His comment was he didnt expect it to be that large at my age. So off I went for the ultrasound. Everything is fine. At night when I lay on my back I almost feel like my own weight is pushing down on my stomach making it pulse. If my jeans feel tight I am more aware of it. Oh well, I guess there is nothing wrong but I didnt have this 3 months ago

Old 02-24-2008, 01:22 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Hi again lve had that too!! and recently lve felt like lve got a baby kicking!! BUT l am defo not pregnant!! The kicking seems to be the same time every evening a few inches to the left of my belly button and a few inches higher! Weird!

Old 04-16-2008, 03:10 PM   #8
(male)

coolied HB User

sorry to open a (relatively) old thread........ but this "pulsing" in the stomach area concerns me a bit.... See, a few years ago; my Grandmother was diagnosed with Abdominal Aortic Anyeurism........ (successfully stent-grafted) so naturally I did some research on this condition............. Seems that sometimes the ONLY physical symptom of AAA is a pulsing in the abdomen..... Appearantly, an abdominal pulse shouldn't normally be felt, but the bulging aorta from the anyeurism causes it to be felt.............. I would go to the doc and see if I could get an ultrasound, but that's just me................ They can burst and if they do, it's immediately life threatning (they have ~30min to open you up and do a repair before you bleed to death)

Old 04-16-2008, 03:12 PM   #9
(male)

coolied HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel52 View Post
I just had an ultrasound just for that reason and it was normal. I had a mylegram started last month but when I was placed on my stomach I complained about it hurting and pulsating. A minute later I fainted so the test was stopped. Last week I saw a spinal surgeon and mentioned to him my concern about being on my stomch during back surgery and what had happened. He then felt my aorta and then had another dr push down on it. His comment was he didnt expect it to be that large at my age. So off I went for the ultrasound. Everything is fine. At night when I lay on my back I almost feel like my own weight is pushing down on my stomach making it pulse. If my jeans feel tight I am more aware of it. Oh well, I guess there is nothing wrong but I didnt have this 3 months ago

i'd get a second opinion then.......... if your aorta is enlarged enough that 2 doctors took note of it, then it's definitely enlarged.............. an AAA can go years before rupturing, but the chances of a successful endovascular (noninvasive) repair are much greater while the anyeurism is small................. I don't mean to scare anyone but with something like possible AAA, it's better to be safe than sorry...............

Closed Thread