HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Digestive Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/digestive-disorders/)
-   -   Anyone treated themselves for parasites (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/digestive-disorders/580809-anyone-treated-themselves-parasites.html)

brianpain33 02-19-2008 03:45 PM

Anyone treated themselves for parasites

I have wondered about this and even bought this tincture of stuff that has black walnut, cloves, and something else which you are supposed to take several times a day for a month. The taste is SO BAD that I could not take it after a couple of days. If you start searching online you will see that like 80% of Americans probably have 1 or more parasites that cause all kinds of symptoms especially digestive problems. The difficult thing is that the tests that a doctor can do can only detect somewhere around 10 parasites and there are literally hundreds of different ones. Has anyone known for sure they had parasites, how did you know, and what exactly did you do to rid yourself of them?

Brian

boz 02-20-2008 06:28 AM

Re: Anyone treated themselves for parasites

Would have thought internal parasites would be found either by blood cultures,
urine cultures, and stool cultures in a path lab..
Treatment should be by a qualified doctor. Not over the counter .

Unless of course its external parasites, even so there's various treatments for various pests.

What sort of parasites do you have in the USA... & where are they caught.

We're on a planned trip in Sept/ October........ & your somewhat putting me off.

eihcet 02-20-2008 09:13 AM

[QUOTE=boz;3450008]
What sort of parasites do you have in the USA... & where are they caught.

We're on a planned trip in Sept/ October........ & your somewhat putting me off.[/QUOTE]

I don't think you should worry, at least not about that. Parasitic infections seem pretty rare in the USA compared to other places that lack water treatment. That said, there are still risks for folks when swimming and drinking water while in lakes / canals / etc.

boz 02-21-2008 01:50 AM

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply.......... We have been to the States before,
my remarks were .... shall we say ' tongue in cheek '. :)

jen52983 02-21-2008 09:39 AM

There are different brands of "Cleansing programs" that are suppose to rid your body of toxins, and parasites. If you do an internet search you will probably find thousands of hits. My suggestion there would be to research and see if any sound worthy of trying.

I also think that a doctor would be you're only way of knwing for sure if you have a parasite and what kind. As another poster said, they'd most likely find them in a stole sample or in blood work. My guess, of course, is that you'd have to tell them that you think or worry about having a parasite and request that they look specifically for that.

If a doctor finds anything they'd probably (I'm only guessing b/c I've never been told I have a parasite!) that they'd prescribe a medication that would rid you of them. I've heard of cases where people have had tape worms that have had to be surgically removed.

If you're really worried, or think you most likely have one, I suggest asking a doctor to check it out.

Things to do to avoid the risk of parasites is to avoid undercooked meat, wash all fruits and veggies thoroughly as well as your hands, especially after dealing with raw meat, unhygenic areas, children (I believe it's "pinworms" that are easily passed on from kids to kids, b/c they scratch in places then continue playing!) So just practice good hygene and general cleanliness!!